Thursday September 22, 1960
US date format: 9/22/1960, UK date format: 22/9/1960
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 22, 1960). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Macmillan (Conservative), Pope John XXIII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Joan Jett in Philadelphia and Victor Stevenson.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Twist by Chubby Checker.
In UK Apache by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Sunrise at Campobello, directed by Vincent J. Donehue, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Chapman Report by Irving Wallace was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Westerner.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 22, 1960?
- Saint Emmeramus
- Saint Florentius
- In ancient Latvia, the first day of Mikeli, the Catching of Jumis.
- In ancient Greece, the ninth and final day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates made offerings to the dead.
- See more
- Mali (formerly French Sudan) declares independence from France
- The Sudanese Republic is renamed Mali after the withdrawal of Senegal from the Mali Federation.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 22, 1960?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Brook Benton - Kiddio
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
- Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Sugar Pie DeSanto - I Want To Know
- Clyde McPhatter - Ta Ta
- Jackie Wilson - A Woman, A Lover, A Friend
- Etta James - If I Can't Have You
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - The Twist
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next September 22If September 22, 1960 is your birthday you're 59 years, 10 months, 19 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 1 month, 12 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free