Saturday 24 September 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on September 24, 1960). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Erich Maechler and Jack Pierson.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Twist by Chubby Checker.
In UK Apache by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Watch Your Stern, directed by Gerald Thomas, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while The Chapman Report by Irving Wallace was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hong Kong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 September 1960
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 24 September 1960 ?
- Erich Maechler
- Philippe Lacroix: Dutch kidnapper and accomplice of Patrick Haemers in the kidnapping of the former Belgium Prime Minister, Paul Van Den Boeynants, in January 1989.
- Jack Pierson: American artist whose work includes photographs of the male nude and of himself.
- Tony Juniper: English environmentalist and politician.
- Amy Sky: Canadian singer-songwriter producer and actress.
- Matyas Seiber: Composer, dies at 55.
- 1st nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, launches (USS Enterprise)
- USS Enterprise, 1st nuclear power aircraft carrier, launches
- International Development Association (UN agency) comes into existence.
- The USS Enterprise aircraft carrier is launched at Newport News, Virginia. This is the world's first nuclear-powered carrier, also the most powerful warship ever built, at 300,000 horsepower, the longest at 1101.5 feet, and costliest at US$445 million. The ship was designed to accomodate 100 aircraft.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Brook Benton - Kiddio
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
- Ike & Tina Turner - A Fool In Love
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Sugar Pie DeSanto - I Want To Know
- Clyde McPhatter - Ta Ta
- Jackie Wilson - A Woman, A Lover, A Friend
- Etta James - If I Can't Have You
- Hank Ballard And The Midnighters - The Twist
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?