Saturday 24 September 1960
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Philippe Lacroix and Jack Pierson.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Twist by Chubby Checker.
In UK Apache by The Shadows was in the top 5 hits.
Santa Claus, directed by Ren Cardona, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Daughters And Rebels by Jessica Mitford was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Best of the Post.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 24 September 1960 ?
- Philippe Lacroix: Dutch kidnapper and accomplice of Patrick Haemers in the kidnapping of the former Belgium Prime Minister, Paul Van Den Boeynants, in January 1989.
- Jack Pierson: American artist whose work includes photographs of the male nude and of himself.
- Tony Juniper: English environmentalist and politician.
- Amy Sky: Canadian singer-songwriter producer and actress.
- Matyas Seiber: Composer, dies at 55.
- 1st nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, launches (USS Enterprise)
- USS Enterprise, 1st nuclear power aircraft carrier, launches
- International Development Association (UN agency) comes into existence.
- The USS Enterprise aircraft carrier is launched at Newport News, Virginia. This is the world's first nuclear-powered carrier, also the most powerful warship ever built, at 300,000 horsepower, the longest at 1101.5 feet, and costliest at US$445 million. The ship was designed to accomodate 100 aircraft.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?