Friday 2 September 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hideo Yoshizawa and John S Hall.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to It's Now Or Never by Elvis Presley.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Let's Make Love, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Baseball Is A Funny Game by Joe Garagiola was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Coronado 9.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 September 1960!
Which were the important events of 2 September 1960 ?
- Mauritius - Ganesh Chaturthi
- Also see September 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Sophia
- Sedan Day (Sedantag) - traditional national German holiday (see Sedan, France) that commemorates Prussia's victory over France in 1870, making the German Empire a reality.
- Transnistria - Independence day, note Transnistria is not an internationally recognized independent state
- Vietnam - National Day (independence from France, 1945)
- Hideo Yoshizawa: Japanese video game designer and executive, General Manager at Namco Bandai Holdings.
- John S Hall: American poet and spoken-word artist.
- Christophe Caresche: French left wing politician, a member of the National Assembly of France.
- Eric Dickerson: Texas, United States -- NFL halfback (LA Rams, Colts / 2,105 yards in 1984).
- Kristin Halvorsen: Norwegian politician Norwegian Minister of Finance.
- Rex Hudler: Tempe, Arizona -- Outfielder (New York Yankees, California Angels)
- Tamara and Irina Press (USSR) become 1st sisters to win olympic gold
- The first election of the Parliament of the Central Tibetan Administration, in history of Tibet. The Tibetan community observes this date as the Democracy Day.
- 1960 Summer Olympic Games: Cassius Clay wins the gold medal in light-heavyweight boxing.
- The Congolese president, Joseph Kasavubu, fires Patrice Lumumba's entire government, and also places Lumumba under house arrest.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- The Ventures - Walk -- Don't Run
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Bobby Rydell - Volare
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Finger Poppin' Time
- Donnie Brooks - Mission Bell
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Anita Bryant - In My Little Corner Of The World
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?