Thursday 24 August 2006
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to London Bridge by Fergie.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
Accepted, directed by Steve Pink, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Coming Out by Danielle Steel was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Reader, I Married Him.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing ATV Offroad Fury 4 or Dave Mirra BMX Challenge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 2006!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 24 August 2006 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 August
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict:
- The Israeli reserve soldiers' protest, which calls for the resignation of Ehud Olmert and the establishment of a national commission of inquiry over failures in the conflict, grows in momentum to reach several hundred. (Ynet)
- Unexploded Israeli cluster bombs, some dating back to the 1970s, are exacting an increasing toll on Lebanese civilians returning home, the UN and human rights groups report. (Human Rights Watch)
- French President Jacques Chirac says 1,600 more French troops will serve in the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon. (BBC)
- Syria threatens to shut its border with Lebanon. (Al Jazeera)
- Israeli forces have killed three Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants and detained five militants, including a senior member of the governing Hamas movement in two separate incidents in southern Gaza. (BBC)
- A senior Israeli source says that Israel ampquotmay have to go it alone,ampquot saying that the Iranian response to a package of incentives to halt its uranium enrichment was just to ampquotgain time,ampquot and said that Iran had ampquotflipped the world the bird.ampquot (Jerusalem Post)
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel states that Iran's response to the incentives by world powers aiming to persuade it to give up nuclear power is unsatisfactory. (Reuters)
- The largest computer games expo in the transatlantic region, the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, opens for the public. (Handelsblatt)
- Apple Computer announces a recall of 1.8 million batteries for its PowerBook G4 and iBook G4 models. (CNN)
- The Kyodo News Agency reports that there is activity at a North Korean nuclear testing site. (Kyodo News Agency via Fox News: Video)
- Population of the United Kingdom reaches over 60 million for the first time in history. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?