Tuesday 29 August 2006
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to London Bridge by Fergie.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
The Lives of Others, directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mondenii.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder or Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 2006!
Which were the important events of 29 August 2006 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 August
- Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad challenges George W. Bush to a live television debate. U.S. government officials decline and criticize the suggestion. (Al Jazeera)
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict:
- Kofi Annan says that the United Nations hopes to double the strength of the peacekeeping force by Friday. (ABC News America)
- Tropical Storm John becomes Hurricane John, the sixth hurricane of the 2006 Pacific hurricane season and threatens Mexico's Pacific Ocean coast, including the port city of Acapulco. (The Australian)
- New Orleans and the United States mark the one year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. (Fox News)
- In London, three more men are charged with conspiracy to murder and preparing acts of terrorism over the alleged 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot, bringing the total number of suspects facing these charges to eleven. (International Herald Tribune)
- A magnitude-5.4 earthquake strikes off the Maluku Islands in Indonesia. Officials currently state that a tsunami is not possible, as their initial magnitude estimates have been downgraded.
- Warren Jeffs, the fugitive leader of a polygamist Mormon sect and one of the FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, has been arrested in southern Nevada. (AP)
- Vivendi Universal, the world's biggest music group, has signed a deal to make its music catalogue available on a free legal downloads service. (BBC)
- Public school teachers in Detroit begin a strike after failing to reach an agreement with school district officials. (Detroit Free Press)
- Residents in south Florida prepare for Tropical Storm Ernesto with concerns that the storm could again strengthen and become a hurricane after it leaves Cuba. (Boston Globe)
- Conflict between Shiite militia and the Iraqi military in southern city of Diwaniyah leaves at least 19 dead. (BBC)
- British rail company South West Trains begin a series of one-day strikes over claims that unqualified company managers were allowed to drive trains. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?