Wednesday 1 August 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Hope Springs, directed by David Frankel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Damien's Quest.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Asura's Wrath or Crazy Cars: Hit the Road.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 August 2012 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 August
- Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 suspense thriller ''Vertigo'' is named as the greatest film of all time in a poll by the British Film Institute's ''Sight and Sound'' magazine. (BBC)
- Power is restored in India following an earlier blackout in three grids that left over 600 million people without power. (AFP via France 24)
- Saudi Aramco is ranked by ''Forbes'' as the first among the world's 25 largest oil companies. (Global Financial Network)
- Heading toward Taiwan, slow-moving Typhoon Saola's torrential rains lead to the deaths of at least 12 people and displacement of 154,000 in the Philippines. (''The Washington Post'')
- The Tal Law, which granted a sweeping exemption from military service to a majority of the Israeli ultra-Orthodox population in Israel, expires. As a result Defense Minister Ehud Barak orders the Israeli Defense Forces to prepare for a universal draft of ultra-Orthodox Jewish males in 30 days. (''USA Today'')
- Somali security forces kill two suicide bombers trying to infiltrate a meeting of 825 Somali elders discussing the country's new constitution in Mogadishu. (AP via Chron.com)
- Prosecutors formally charge three Mexican Army generals, including active General Roberto Dawe Gonzalez and retired General Tomás Ángeles Dauahare, and a lieutenant-colonel for their alleged links to a drug trafficking organization known as the Beltrán-Leyva Cartel. (''The Washington Post'')
- Four coordinated low intensity bombs explode in the Indian city of Pune. (DNA India)
- A second Israeli who set himself on fire in protest of economic difficulties in Tel Aviv dies of his injuries in hospital. (Reuters)
- 2012 Summer Olympics: The Badminton World Federation charges eight womens doubles players from South Korea, China and Indonesia with ampquotnot using one's best efforts to win a matchampquot. (BBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 August 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?