Monday 20 August 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Go Public: A Documentary Film Project.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bleed or The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Hearthfire.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 20 August 2012 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 20 August
- Syrian civil war:
- United Nations observers leave the country as their mandate expires. The total number of casualties over the previous weekend is now estimated at more than 100 deaths. The UN envoy describes the conflict as a civil war. Russia says only the UN should decide on force against Syria. The U.S. claims it has ampquotcontingency plansampquot and threatens to change its ampquotcalculusampquot if it finds Syria moving or using chemical or biological weapons. Fighting continues. (''Christian Science
- War on Terror:
- Afghanistan: John Key, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announces that the Government will withdraw forces from Afghanistan early in 2013. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- Iraq: AFP says at least 409 people were killed and 975 wounded during the previous month in Iraq. (''Al Arabiya'')
- A riot in the Yare I prison in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas kills at least 20 people. (BBC)
- At least eight people are killed by a bomb attack in the city of Gaziantep, Turkey. (BBC)
- Officials say three suspected Islamic militants die while plotting a car bombing in the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. (RFERL)
- Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, is discharged from hospital following treatment for a bladder infection. (BBC)
- American comedienne Phyllis Diller dies at the age of 95. (''USA Today'')
- An ocean surge into nearby shanties kills one person and leaves 15 others missing off the coast of Lagos, Nigeria. (IOL)
- United States Congressman Todd Akin, who is also a candidate for the United States Senate, says ampquotlegitimate rapeampquot would lead to pregnancy only in ampquotreally rareampquot cases. In a follow-up statement, he says that he ampquotclearly misspokeampquot and that he holds a ampquotdeep empathyampquot for the ampquotthousands of women who are raped each yearampquot. He stirs a US-wide controversy over the issue of abortion. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Former Polly Peck tycoon Asil Nadir is found guilty on three counts of stealing millions of pounds from his company by a jury at London's Old Bailey. (BBC)
- In a case before the Supreme Court, the Indian Patent Office and pharmaceutical giant Novartis will present final arguments this week concerning the right to make and sell patented medicine. (''Business Standard'')
- Myanmar announces that it is ending media censorship, as part of the ongoing political reforms in the country. (AFP via Google News)
- In Somalia, a new parliament is formed, with the new task of electing the country's president. (Al Jazeera)
- South Africa win the third test to clinch victory in their three match series with England and move into first place in the ICC cricket ratings.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 20 August 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?