Thursday 24 December 1953, Christmas Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Francois Loos and François Loos.
In UK Answer Me by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Long, Long Trailer, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Devil'S Laughter by Frank Yerby was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1953!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1953 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Francois Loos: French politician.
- François Loos: French politician, appointed Minister Delegate for Industry on 2 June 2005, following a term as Minister Delegate for Foreign Trade (June 2002 to May 2005).
- Timothy Carhart: American actor.
- 2 fast express trains crash head-on killing 103 (Czechoslovakia)
- KHOL (now KHGI) TV channel 13 in Kearney, NB (ABC) begins broadcasting
- KOA (now KCNC) TV channel 4 in Denver, CO (NBC) begins broadcasting
- Wellington-Auckland (New Zealand) express train swept away in flood kills 166.
- Tangiwai disaster: A railway bridge is destroyed by a lahar at Tangiwai, in the Central North Island of New Zealand, sending a fully loaded passenger train into the Whangaehu River, and killing 153 people.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?