Friday 24 December 1954, Christmas Eve
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jose Maria Figueres and Yves Debay.
In UK Let's Have Another Party by Winifred Atwell was in the top 5 hits.
Animal Farm, directed by Joy Batchelor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Love Is Eternal by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Die Galerie der großen Detektive.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1954!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1954 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Jose Maria Figueres: Costa Rican politician.
- Yves Debay: Congolese-French commander and journalist (d. 2013).
- José Figueres: Costa Rican businessman and politician President of Costa Rica.
- Helen Jones: English lawyer and politician.
- Council for the Children Protection forms in Netherlands.
- Laos gains its independence.
- Laos gains full independence from France.
- New Zealand inventor Sir William Hamilton invents the world's first water pump-jet engine, later named the ampquotHamilton Jetampquot.
- The Boy Scouts of America desegregates on the basis of race.
- Gerbils (''Meriones unguiculatus'') are brought to the United States by Dr. Victor Schwentker.
- The case of Lothar Malskat, who had admitted that he had painted the supposedly antique frescoes in Marienkirche himself, goes to trial.
- The TV dinner is introduced by the American entrepreneur Gerry Thomas.
- New York City Ballet founding balletmaster George Balanchine's production of ''The Nutcracker'' is staged for the first time in New York City, and it became a tradition there, still being performed annually .
- South Korea opens the Gimpo International Airport.
- Vietnam splits into two nations with the North being communist and the South being capitalist.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 1954
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1954 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?