Thursday 25 March 2010
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Rude Boy by Rihanna.
How to Train Your Dragon, directed by Dean DeBlois, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Radio Radio.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing ARGO Online or ダブルスポイラー ～ 東方文花帖 Double Spoiler.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 2010!
Which were the important events of 25 March 2010 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 March
- Pal Bang-Hansen: Norwegian film critic and television personality (Born 1937).
- A car bomb killed at least 6 people and wounded more than 40 others in a Colombia's Buenaventura city notorious for cocaine trafficking. (Pravda.ru)
- Rustam Minnikhanov is sworn in as the second president of Tatarstan. (''Radio Free Europe'')
- Pakistan's jet fighters pounds militants' hideouts in northwest Pakistan's Mamozai area, killing at least 48 people and injuring 32 others. (Xinhua)
- A Gazan fisherman is critically wounded when the Israeli navy targets his fishing boat in an early morning attack. (''The Muslim News'')
- The United States weakens proposed sanctions against Iran in a bid to win broader support on the UN Security Council as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismisses the impact of any new measures to stop Iran’s nuclear program. (The Christian Science Monitor)
- Child sex abuse in the Catholic Church:
- Pope Benedict XVI is accused of failing to act in a case of the sexual abuse of 200 deaf boys. (''The Hindu'')
- Bishop of Waterford and Lismore William Lee apologises for his two-year delay in failing to alert authorities to child sexual abuse allegations in his parish in the mid-1990s, describing as ampquotseriously inadequateampquot his handling of the matter. (CNN)
- An editorial from the Vatican says the news media is acting ampquotwith the clear and ignoble intent of trying to strike Benedict and his closest collaborators at any costampquot. (BBC News)
- Hamas decides to execute Palestinians whom they have found guilty of “collaboration” with Israel despite protests by human rights and legal organizations, while criticizing those who have been firing rockets at Israel in the past few days. (The Jerusalem Post)
- 500 homes near the airport in Mogadishu are demolished by Somali troops. (BBC)
- President of the United States Barack Obama requests that Cuba's leaders release all political prisoners, describing human rights there as ampquotdeeply disturbingampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- 3 die in a medical helicopter crash in Tennessee, United States, with the helicopter that crashed being operated by Hospital Wing. (CNN)
- U.S. defense secretary Robert Gates announces new rules that make it more difficult to expel gay service members. (''The New York Times'')
- Munster Rugby fans in Ireland win a court case against the state allowing pubs to open for business on Good Friday, a day that normally sees all pubs in the country shut for religious reasons. (''The Irish Times'')
- Independent News Media sells its British titles to Russian billionaire Alexander Lebedev for £1. (''The Guardian'')
- Dennis Hopper:
- The lawyer for Dennis Hopper admits for the first time that the actor is terminally ill and unable to undergo chemotherapy treatment for his prostate cancer. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Hopper receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. (''USA Today'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 25 March 2010
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2010 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?