Saturday 31 May 2008
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Lollipop by Lil Wayne.
Kung Fu Panda, directed by Mark Osborne, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Jeffrey Zaslow was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Jace Hall Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Away: Shuffle Dungeon or Bejeweled Twist.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 May 2008!
Which were the important events of 31 May 2008 ?
- World No Tobacco Day.
- Syaday (Discordianism) (5th day of the season of Confusion, honors Apostle Sri Syadasti).
- Saint Gislemerio
- Saint Mechtilde of Diessen
- Saint Petronella.
- the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Godiva procession.
- IT Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 May
- NASA's Discovery space shuttle blasts off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a 14-day mission to the International Space Station, delivering a cylinder for Japan's Kibo science lab, and also a new pump to repair the station's toilet.
- In rugby union, the Crusaders defeat the New South Wales Waratahs in the 2008 Super 14 Final. (''New Zealand Herald'')
- Authorities in the People's Republic of China are preparing to evacuate more than a million people from Sichuan Province as they prepare to drain Tangjiashan Lake created by the 2008 Sichuan earthquake. (ABC News Australia)
- STS-124 is launched with a crew of seven and the main module of the Japanese laboratory Kibō. (AP via CNN)
- 2008 Atlantic hurricane season: The first storm of the season, Tropical Storm Arthur, forms one day before the official season begins. It is located about 45 mi (75 km) NNW of Belize City. It has maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (55 km/h), and with higher gusts. (NHC)
- At least five people are killed and 13 are missing after a landslide crushes homes in a poor area of the city of Medellín in Colombia. (AFP via Google News)
- United States Democratic Party's Rules and Bylaws Committee meets to decide on the Florida and Michigan democratic primaries held in violation of scheduling rules. The Committee decides that both states delegate counts would be halved. (''The Guardian'')
- French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner makes surprise visit to Iraq, to meet with Iraq's vice president, Adel Abdul-Mahdi. (VOA)
- New fighting between the Sri Lanka Army and the Tamil Tigers occurs in northern Sri Lanka with 26 rebels dead and 4 soldiers. (AP via Forbes)
- Robert Gates, the United States Secretary of Defense, states that Myanmar's refusal of international aid for victims of Cyclone Nargis has cost ampquotthousands of livesampquot. (VOA)
- Suicide bombers in eastern Afghanistan target a military convoy. NATO's International Security Assistance force says the attack took place in Jalalabad, capital of Nangarhar province. (VOA)
- The government of Guinea starts paying junior officers of the Military of Guinea back pay in an attempt to end a five day mutiny. (Reuters via News Limited)
- World Health Organization calls for complete ban on tobacco advertising the organization says recent studies prove the more young people are exposed to tobacco advertising, the more likely they are to start smoking. The call comes as part of the WHO's annual World No Tobacco Day. (VOA)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 May 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?