Thursday 1 May 2008
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Lollipop by Lil Wayne.
In UK American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West was in the top 5 hits.
What Happens in Vegas, directed by Tom Vaughan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching NOFX Backstage Passport.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing 250 Mannin no Kanken Wii de Tokoton Kanji Nou or Big Beach Sports.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2008 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- A US navy ship off the coast of Somalia makes a missile attack on the home of Aden Hashi Ayro in Dusamareb, killing him and at least ten other people. Ayro was military leader of al-Shabab, in control of most of Somalia.
- The London Agreement on translation of European patents, concluded in 2000, enters into force in 14 of the 34 Contracting States to the European Patent Convention.
- The United States Air Force grounds all T-38C training aircraft following two fatal accidents within 8 days. (AP via CNN)
- Sudanese cameraman Sami Mohy El Din Muhammed Al Hajj is released from the Guantanamo Bay detention camp after more than six years in captivity. (AFP via Google News)
- The President of the United States George W. Bush authorises tougher sanctions on Myanmar including a freeze on assets held by Myanmar state owned companies held in the United States. (Reuters)
- The United States Federal Reserve System auctions off $24.12 billion in Treasury securities to help relieve the subprime mortgage crisis. (AP via Google News)
- Eight people are killed and at least 20 injured after a bus carrying North American and European tourists crashes on the Sinai peninsula in Egypt. (BBC News)
- In Australia, a collision between a fishing boat and a runabout on Sydney Harbour kills five people. (ABC Australia)
- Voters in England and Wales go to the polls for the United Kingdom local elections, 2008. Early results showed the opposition Conservative Party performing strongly with 44 per cent of the vote while the governing Labour Party was performing poorly with 24 per cent of the vote. (''The Telegraph'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 May 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2008 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?