January 1909 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1909.
The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was H. H. Asquith (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1909: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1909?
- 01 Jan 1909 Drilling begins on the Lakeview Gusher.
- 05 Jan 1909 Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 09 Jan 1909 Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nautical miles (180 km; 112 mi) from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- 16 Jan 1909 British explorer Ernest Shackleton finds magnetic south pole.
- 25 Jan 1909 Richard Strauss' opera Elektra receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 27 Jan 1909 The Young Left is founded in Norway.
- 28 Jan 1909 United States troops leave Cuba with the exception of Guantanamo Bay Naval Base after being there since the Spanish-American War.
American theater and film director.
Dominican race car driver polo player and diplomat (d. 1965).
American actress with a film debut in 1929.
- See more
dies at age 60.
dies at age 85.
dies at age 63.
dies at age 83.
- See more