Saturday 9 January 1909
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 9, 1909). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Danielle Casanova and John Richard Simplot.
A Christmas Carol, directed by Brian Desmond Hurst, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1909!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1909 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Danielle Casanova: French militant communist and member of the French resistance.
- Herva Nelli: Italian-born soprano (d. 1994).
- John Richard Simplot: American entrepreneur (d. 2008).
- Anthony Mamo: Maltese lawyer and politician 1st President of Malta (d. 2008).
- Patrick Peyton: Irish-American priest television personality and activist (d. 1992).
- Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nautical miles (180 km; 112 mi) from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.