Saturday 9 January 1909
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Danielle Casanova and John Richard Simplot.
A Christmas Carol, directed by Brian Desmond Hurst, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1909
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1909
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1909!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1909 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Danielle Casanova: French militant communist and member of the French resistance.
- Herva Nelli: Italian-born soprano (d. 1994).
- John Richard Simplot: American entrepreneur (d. 2008).
- Anthony Mamo: Maltese lawyer and politician 1st President of Malta (d. 2008).
- Patrick Peyton: Irish-American priest television personality and activist (d. 1992).
- Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nautical miles (180 km; 112 mi) from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.