1945 was a year that the world will not forget, as it was the last year of the Second World War.
In January, after retreating to his bunker in Berlin, Adolf Hitler took to the radio waves and made his last speech. The infamous Waffen-SS also began the evacuation of Auschwitz, one of the most gruesome concentration camps established by the Nazis in their short-lived Third Reich.
With the end of the war in sight, the Yalta Conference was held in February of 1945. The remaining three “great powers” of the Allies were represented by their respective heads of state: President Franklin D. Roosevelt of the United States, Prime Minister Winston Churchill of Great Britain, and Premier Joseph Stalin of the Soviet Union. The purpose of the conference was to discuss post-war terms in order to ensure peace between the victorious Allies after the war with Germany had ended.
This was the year that two major heads of state died. With his enemies closing in around him, Adolf Hitler committed suicide in April in Berlin. American President Franklin D. Roosevelt also died in April. After winning four presidential elections, President Roosevelt died of a stroke in Warm Springs, Georgia at his personal retreat. After Roosevelt’s death, Vice President Harry S. Truman was sworn into office and became President.
In May of 1945, the Allies received the unconditional surrender of Germany, marking the end of the war in Europe. The day of German’s surrender was celebrated as “Victory in Europe Day.” The war continued in the Pacific theatre, though, with the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August. Japan formally surrendered in September, and the Allies celebrated the date of the surrender as Victory over Japan Day.
In a final major international development this year, the United Nations was founded in October.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 18th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The Lost Weekend
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1945?
All Nobel Prize winners of 1945
- Cordell Hull
- Gabriela Mistral
- Wolfgang Pauli
- Artturi Ilmari Virtanen
Physiology or Medicine
- Alexander Fleming
- Ernst Boris Chain
- Howard Florey
Which were the top hits of 1945?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Andrews Sisters - Rum and Coca-Cola
- Perry Como - Till The End Of Time
- Johnny Mercer - On The Atchison, Topeka, And Santa Fe
- Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra - There! I've Said it Again
- Bing Crosby - I Can't Begin to Tell You
- Harry James & His Orchestra - It's Been a Long, Long Time
- Harry James & His Orchestra - I'm Beginning To See The Light
- Pied Pipers - Dream
- Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Tampico
- Bing Crosby - White Christmas
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the important events of 1945?
- 01 Jan 1945 German air raid on allied airports at Eindhoven / Saint-Trond / Brussels
- 02 Jan 1945 Kentucky begins 130 home basketball game win streak, ends in 1955
- 03 Jan 1945 British Premier Winston Churchill visits France
- 04 Jan 1945 US jeep-aircraft carrier Ommaney Bay sinks after kamikaze attack.
- 05 Jan 1945 Pepe LePew debuts in Warner Bros cartoon Odor-able Kitty
- 06 Jan 1945 Future President George Bush marries Barbara Pierce in Rye, New York
- 07 Jan 1945 Lord Haw-Haw reports total German victory at Ardennen.
- 08 Jan 1945 Youth for Christ organizes
- 09 Jan 1945 US soldiers led by General Douglas MacArthur invade Philippines.
- 10 Jan 1945 Baseball writers again fail to elect a new Hall of Famer.
- 12 Jan 1945 US Task Force 38 destroys 41 Japanese ships in Battle of South China Sea.
- 13 Jan 1945 WWII: A day after beginning the Vistula-Oder Offensive, the Soviets launch the East Prussian Offensive to eliminate German forces in East Prussia.
- 15 Jan 1945 Make Mine Manhattan opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 429 performances
- 16 Jan 1945 Scottish 52nd land division / 1st Commando brigade-assault at Heinsberg
- 17 Jan 1945 Liberation of Warsaw by Soviet troops (end of Nazi occupation)
- 18 Jan 1945 Warsaw freed by Soviet army
- 19 Jan 1945 World War II: Soviet forces liberate the ?odz ghetto. Out more than 200,000 inhabitants in 1940, less than 900 had survived the Nazi occupation.
- 20 Jan 1945 FDR sworn-in for an unprecedented 4th term as President
- 21 Jan 1945 British troops land on Ramree, near coast of Burma.
- 22 Jan 1945 Burma highway reopens
- 23 Jan 1945 Dutch Premier Gerbrandy, exiled in London, offers his resignation.
- 24 Jan 1945 Scottish 52nd Lowland division occupies Heinsberg.
- 25 Jan 1945 New York Yankees sold by Ruppert estate to Larry MacPhail, Dan Topping
- 26 Jan 1945 Soviet forces reach Auschwitz concentration camp
- 27 Jan 1945 Russia liberates Auschwitz and Birkenau Concentration Camp (Poland)
- 28 Jan 1945 Gen Vinegar Joe Stillwell and truck convoy reopen Burma Road to China
- 30 Jan 1945 Wilhelm Gustloff torpedoed off Danzig by Soviet sub-c 7,700 die
- 31 Jan 1945 American Private Edward Donald Slovik, age 25, is executed by firing squad for desertion, the first such execution since the US Civil War.
- 01 Feb 1945 US Army arrives at Siegfriedlinie.
- 02 Feb 1945 Escape attempt at Mauthausen concentration camp.
- 03 Feb 1945 Almost 1000 Flying Fortresses drop 3000 ton bombs on Berlin
- 04 Feb 1945 FDR, Churchill and Stalin meet at Yalta
- 05 Feb 1945 US troops under General Douglas MacArthur enter Manilla, Philippines.
- 06 Feb 1945 Russian Red Army crosses the river Oder.
- 07 Feb 1945 US 76th / 5th Infantry divisions begin crossing Sauer
- 08 Feb 1945 Allied air attack on Goch / Kleef / Kalkar / Reichswald
- 09 Feb 1945 WAAF-corporal flies along the tail of a Spitfire
- 10 Feb 1945 WWII: The ''SS General von Steuben'' is sunk by the Soviet submarine S-13.
- 11 Feb 1945 Yalta agreement signed by FDR, Churchill and Stalin
- 12 Feb 1945 San Francisco, California, selected for site of United Nations Conference.
- 13 Feb 1945 Allied planes bomb Dresden Germany; 135,000 die
- 14 Feb 1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt meets with King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia aboard the USS Quincy, officially starting the U.S.-Saudi diplomatic relationship.
- 16 Feb 1945 US forces land on Corregidor, complete conquest on March 3
- 19 Feb 1945 30,000 US Marines land on Iwo Jima
- 21 Feb 1945 British Army captures Goch.
- 22 Feb 1945 Arab League forms (Cairo, Egypt).
- 23 Feb 1945 US Marines raise flag on Iwo Jima, famous photo and statue
- 24 Feb 1945 Egypt and Syria declares war on Nazi-Germany
- 25 Feb 1945 US aircraft carriers attack Tokyo, Japan.
- 26 Feb 1945 Very heavy bombing on Berlin by 8th US Air Force.
- 27 Feb 1945 Battle of US 94 Infantry
- 28 Feb 1945 In Bucharest, a violent demonstration takes place, during which the ''bolşevic'' group opens fire on the army and protesters. In response, Andrei Y. Vishinsky, USSR vice commissioner of foreign affairs and president of the Allied Control Commission for Romania, travels to Bucharest to compel Nicolae Rădescu to resign as premier.
- 01 Mar 1945 FDR announces success of Yalta Conference
- 02 Mar 1945 King Michael of Romania gives in to Communist government.
- 03 Mar 1945 RAF bombing error hits The Hague killing 511.
- 04 Mar 1945 Lapland War: Finland declares war on Nazi Germany.
- 05 Mar 1945 Generals Eisenhower, Patton and Patch meet in Luneville
- 06 Mar 1945 117 SD-prisoners executed at Savage Farm.
- 07 Mar 1945 US 9th Armoured Division attacks Remagen, Germany, crosses Rhine.
- 08 Mar 1945 Kiss Me Kate opens in Britain
- 09 Mar 1945 334 US B-29 Superfortresses attack Tokyo with 120,000 fire bomb
- 10 Mar 1945 Japan declares Vietnam Independence
- 11 Mar 1945 1,000 allied bombers harass Essen with 4,662 ton bombs.
- 12 Mar 1945 30 Amsterdammers executed by German occupiers.
- 13 Mar 1945 Queen Wilhelmina returns to the Netherlands
- 14 Mar 1945 RAF bomb cuts railway link Hannover-Hamm.
- 15 Mar 1945 17th Academy Awards - Going my Way, Bing Cosby and Ingrid Bergman win
- 16 Mar 1945 Allies secure Iwo Jima
- 17 Mar 1945 Allied ships bomb North-Sumatra.
- 18 Mar 1945 US Task Force 58 attacks targets on Kiushu.
- 19 Mar 1945 800 killed as Kamikaze attacked USS Franklin off Japan
- 20 Mar 1945 US 70th Infantry division / 7th Armour division attack Saar
- 21 Mar 1945 During WWII Allied bombers begin 4-day raid over Germany
- 22 Mar 1945 US third Army crosses Rhine at Nierstein.
- 23 Mar 1945 British 7th Black Watch crosses the Rhine
- 24 Mar 1945 Gen Eisenhower, Montgomery and Bradley discuss advance in Germany
- 25 Mar 1945 US first army breaks out bridgehead near Remagen.
- 26 Mar 1945 British Premier Churchill looks over at the Rhine (near Ginsberg)
- 27 Mar 1945 DePaul beats Bowling Green for NIT title.
- 28 Mar 1945 Last German V-1 (buzz bomb) attack on London, England.
- 29 Mar 1945 World War II: Last day of V-1 flying bomb attacks on England.
- 30 Mar 1945 USSR invades Austria during WWII
- 31 Mar 1945 US artillery lands on Keise Shima; begins firing on Okinawa.
- 01 Apr 1945 Ruhrgebied sealed off by US 1st and 9th army
- 02 Apr 1945 First US units reach east coast of Okinawa, Japan.
- 03 Apr 1945 US first army conquers Hofgeismar.
- 04 Apr 1945 Hungary liberated from Nazi occupation (National Day)
- 05 Apr 1945 Kuniaki Koiso resigns as Prime Minister of Japan; replaced by Kantaro Suzuki.
- 06 Apr 1945 Japanese giant battleship Yamato heads to Okinawa
- 07 Apr 1945 US planes intercept Japanese fleet heading for Okinawa on a suicide superbattleship Yamato and four destroyers were sunk
- 08 Apr 1945 World War II: After an air raid accidentally destroys a train carrying about 4,000 Nazi concentration camp internees in Prussian Hanover, the survivors are massacred by Nazis.
- 09 Apr 1945 Battleship Admiral Scheer sinks British aircraft carrier
- 10 Apr 1945 Allies liberate 1st Nazi concentration camp, Buchenwald (Czech)
- 11 Apr 1945 Allied troops liberate Basket-Compascuum
- 12 Apr 1945 Richard Strauss completes his Metamorphosis
- 13 Apr 1945 Red Army occupy Wien (Vienna)
- 14 Apr 1945 American planes bombed Tokyo and damaged the Imperial Palace
- 15 Apr 1945 British Army liberates Belsen concentration camp
- 16 Apr 1945 Red Army begins Battle of Berlin
- 17 Apr 1945 German occupiers flood Wieringermeer, Netherlands.
- 18 Apr 1945 Epe freed (by corporal G van Aken)
- 19 Apr 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel opens on Broadway
- 20 Apr 1945 Soviet troops enter Berlin, Germany.
- 21 Apr 1945 He Shima Okinawa conquered in 5 days, 5,000 die
- 22 Apr 1945 Concentration camp at Sachsenhausen liberated.
- 23 Apr 1945 Concentration camp Flossenburg liberated.
- 24 Apr 1945 Delegates of 46 countries gather in SF (to discuss UN)
- 25 Apr 1945 Last Boeing B-17 attack against Nazi Germany
- 26 Apr 1945 World War II: Battle of Bautzen : last successful German tank-offensive of the war and last noteworthy victory of the Wehrmacht.
- 27 Apr 1945 Italian partisans capture Mussolini prisoner
- 28 Apr 1945 US 5th army reaches Swiss border.
- 29 Apr 1945 1st food drop by RAF above Nazi-occupied Holland (operation Manna)
- 30 Apr 1945 Arthur Godfrey Time begins a 27 year run on CBS radio
- 01 May 1945 Radio Budapest, Hungary re-enters shortwave broadcasting after WWII
- 02 May 1945 Dutch Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana reach Gilze-Rijen
- 03 May 1945 German ship Cap Arcona sinks in East Sea, 5,800 killed
- 04 May 1945 German troops in the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway surrender
- 05 May 1945 Netherlands and Denmark liberated from Nazi control
- 07 May 1945 British troops pull into Utrecht Neth
- 08 May 1945 Gen Von Keitel surrenders to Marshal Zhukov
- 09 May 1945 Czechoslovakia liberated from Nazi occupation (National Day)
- 10 May 1945 Russian troops occupied Prague
- 11 May 1945 US marines conquer Awatsha Draw, Okinawa, Japan.
- 12 May 1945 Argentinian labour leader Jose Peter declares the Federacion Obrera de la Industria de la Carne dissolved.
- 13 May 1945 US troops conquer Dakeshi, Okinawa, Japan.
- 14 May 1945 Kamikaze-Zero strikes US aircraft carrier Enterprise.
- 15 May 1945 World War II: The final skirmish in Europe is fought near Prevalje, Slovenia.
- 16 May 1945 Violent battles around Sugar Loaf/Half Moon Okinawa, Japan.
- 17 May 1945 Two US P-47 Thunderbolts bomb Kiushu, Japan.
- 21 May 1945 Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart wed.
- 22 May 1945 US 6th Marine division reaches suburbs of Naha, Okinawa, Japan.
- 23 May 1945 Winston Churchill resigns as British Prime Minister
- 26 May 1945 US drop fire bombs on Tokyo
- 28 May 1945 William Joyce (quotLord Haw-Hawquot) is captured. He is later charged with high treason in London for his English-language wartime broadcasts on German radio, convicted, and then hanged in January 1946.
- 29 May 1945 US 1st Marine Division conquors Shuri-castle Okinawa, Japan.
- 30 May 1945 The Iranian government demands that all Soviet and British troops leave the country.
- 01 Jun 1945 WLB-AM in Minneapolis Minn changes call letters to KUOM
- 02 Jun 1945 Audie Murphy is awarded the Medal of Honor.
- 04 Jun 1945 6th Marine division occupies Orokoe Peninsula Okinawa
- 05 Jun 1945 Opera Peter Grimes of Benjamin Britten, premieres in London
- 06 Jun 1945 Free People premieres in Amsterdam
- 07 Jun 1945 King Haakon VII of Norway returns with his family to Oslo after five years in exile.
- 09 Jun 1945 Gruesome Twosome, premieres in USA
- 10 Jun 1945 US destroyer William D Porter (Willie Dee) sunk by kamikaze
- 12 Jun 1945 US 7th Marine regiment conquer summit of Kunishi Ridge, Okinawa
- 13 Jun 1945 Heerjansdam soccer team forms
- 15 Jun 1945 ANJV established in Concert building, Amsterdam
- 16 Jun 1945 71st Preakness: Wayne D Wright aboard Polynesian wins in 1:58.8
- 17 Jun 1945 Day of Unity in West Germany (National Day)
- 21 Jun 1945 US defeat Japanese forces on Okinawa during WWII
- 22 Jun 1945 World War II: The Battle of Okinawa ends when organised resistance of Imperial Japanese Army forces collapses in the Mabuni area on the southern tip of the main island.
- 23 Jun 1945 77th Belmont: Eddie Arcaro aboard Pavot wins in 2:30.2
- 24 Jun 1945 Schermerhorn government forms
- 25 Jun 1945 Allied landing at Ternate Molukkas
- 26 Jun 1945 UN Charter signed by 50 nations in San Francisco
- 27 Jun 1945 Foundation 1940-45 established
- 28 Jun 1945 Polish Provisional Government of National Unity set up by Soviets.
- 29 Jun 1945 20.6 cm rainfall at Litchville North Dakota (state record)
- 30 Jun 1945 17-day newspaper strike in New York begins
- 01 Jul 1945 1st of the superstars returns from the WWII, Hank Greenberg homers
- 02 Jul 1945 The Okinawa campaign is declared over. Total US casualties are 80,000 (dead, wounded, missing, non-combat sickness). Total Japanese casualties are 120,000.
- 05 Jul 1945 Labour Party wins British parliamentary election
- 06 Jul 1945 Nicaragua becomes first nation to formally accept United Nations Charter.
- 08 Jul 1945 WWII: Harry S. Truman is informed that Japan will talk peace if it can retain the reign of the Emperor.ref name=quotnuclearfiles1940quot/
- 09 Jul 1945 A forest fire breaks out in the Tillamook Burn (the third in that area since 1933).
- 10 Jul 1945 Lieutenant Admiral Marc Mitscher named chief of US Navy staff
- 12 Jul 1945 Cubs stop Braves Tommy Holmes modern-day NL hitting streak at 37 games
- 13 Jul 1945 1st atom bomb explodes in New Mexico
- 14 Jul 1945 Battleship USS South Dakota is 1st US ship to bombard Japan
- 15 Jul 1945 27th PGA Championship: Byron Nelson at Morraine Country Club - Dayton Ohio
- 16 Jul 1945 1st atomic bomb detonated, Trinity Site, Alamogordo, New Mexico
- 17 Jul 1945 Potsdam Conference (FDR, Stalin, Churchill) holds 1st meeting
- 19 Jul 1945 Edwin Schlossberg, husband of Carolyn Kennedy
- 21 Jul 1945 Detroit Tigers and Philadelphia Athletics play 24 innings 1-1 tie.
- 23 Jul 1945 The post-war legal processes against Philippe Petain begin.
- 24 Jul 1945 US destroyer Underhill torpedoed West of Guam
- 26 Jul 1945 After Labour landslide in general election, Clement Attlee becomes Prime Minister
- 27 Jul 1945 Cubs purchase pitcher Hank Borowy from New York Yankees
- 28 Jul 1945 Japanese Premier Suzuki disregards US ultimatum to surrender
- 29 Jul 1945 After delivering the Atomic Bomb across the Pacific, the cruiser USS Indianapolis is torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese submarine
- 30 Jul 1945 Philippines Sea: US cruiser Indianapolis torpedoed / sinks, 880 die
- 31 Jul 1945 Pierre Laval, the fugitive former leader of Vichy France, surrenders to Allied soldiers in Austria.
- 01 Aug 1945 Mel Ott is 1st in NL to hit 500th HR (joins Babe Ruth & Jimmy Foxx)
- 02 Aug 1945 Potsdam Conference ended, with Stalin, Truman and Churchill
- 04 Aug 1945 Golfer Byron Nelson records most tournament wins (18) in a season.
- 05 Aug 1945 Atom Bomb dropped on Hiroshima (August 6th in Japan)
- 06 Aug 1945 Hiroshima Peace Day-atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima by Enola Gay
- 07 Aug 1945 The United Nations Charter is ratified by the United States Senate, and this nation becomes the third one to join the new international organization.
- 08 Aug 1945 England and Aust Services draw 4th Victory Test
- 09 Aug 1945 US drops 2nd atomic bomb Fat Man on Japan destroys part of Nagasaki
- 10 Aug 1945 Japan announces willingness to surrender to Allies provided status of Emperor Hirohito remained unchanged
- 11 Aug 1945 Allies refuse Japan's surrender offer to retain Emperor Hirohito.
- 13 Aug 1945 35 Jews sacrifice their lives to blow up Nazi rubber plant in Silesia
- 14 Aug 1945 V-J Day; Japan surrenders unconditionally to end WWII
- 15 Aug 1945 A riot ensued in SF while the city was celebrating the end of WWII
- 16 Aug 1945 An assassination attempt is made on Japan's prime minister, Kantaro Suzuki.
- 17 Aug 1945 Indonesia (Dutch E Indies) declares independence from Netherlands
- 18 Aug 1945 Scheduled demonstrations at Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field to end segregation in organized baseball are called off
- 19 Aug 1945 Phillies Jimmie Foxx, 37, pitches 1st 7 innings vs. Reds andwins
- 20 Aug 1945 Dodgers Tommy Brown, 17, is youngest player to hit a HR
- 21 Aug 1945 US President Harry Truman ends Lend-Lease program.
- 22 Aug 1945 Bob Cristofani scores 110 for Aust Services at Old Trafford
- 24 Aug 1945 Cleveland ace Bob Feller returns from Navy and strike out 12
- 25 Aug 1945 Jewish immigrants are permitted to leave Mauritius for Palestine.
- 27 Aug 1945 US troops land in Japan after Japanese surrender.
- 29 Aug 1945 British liberate Hong Kong from Japan
- 30 Aug 1945 12th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Green Bay 19, All-Stars 7 (92,753)
- 31 Aug 1945 The Liberal Party of Australia is founded by Robert Menzies.
- 01 Sep 1945 Japan surrenders ending WWII (US date, 9 / 2 in Japan)
- 02 Sep 1945 59th US Womens Tennis: Sarah P Cooke beats Pauline Betz (36 86 64)
- 03 Sep 1945 65th US Mens Tennis: Sgt Frank A Parker beats Wm Talbert (14-12 61 62)
- 04 Sep 1945 Ruben Fine wins four simultaneous rapid chess games blindfolded.
- 05 Sep 1945 (2030 hours) Igor Gouzenko, a cipher clerk at the Soviet embassy in Ottawa, Canada, leaves the embassy with 109 top secret documents, seeking political asylum rather than return to the Soviet Union.
- 07 Sep 1945 Japanese at Rioekioe-islands surrender
- 08 Sep 1945 Hideki Tojo, Japanese Prime Minister during most of WWII, attempts suicide rather than face war crimes tribunal attempt fails, later he is hanged
- 09 Sep 1945 1st bug in a computer program discovered by Grace Hopper, a moth was removed with tweasers from a relay and taped into the log
- 10 Sep 1945 KLS-AM in Oakland Ca changes call letters to KWBR (now KDIA)
- 11 Sep 1945 World War II: Australian 9th Division forces liberate the Japanese-run Batu Lintang camp, a POW and civilian internment camp on the island of Borneo.
- 12 Sep 1945 The Japanese Army formally surrenders to the British in Singapore.
- 15 Sep 1945 A hurricane in southern Florida and the Bahamas destroys 366 planes and 25 blimps at NAS Richmond.
- 16 Sep 1945 Barometric pressure at 856mb (25.55 inches) off Okinawa, Japan (record low).
- 18 Sep 1945 1000 whites walk out of Gary, Indiana, schools to protest integration.
- 19 Sep 1945 Kim Il Sung arrives in harbor of Wonsan, Korea
- 20 Sep 1945 German rocket engineers begin work in US.
- 22 Sep 1945 Stan Musial gets five hits off five pitchers on five consecutive pitches.
- 26 Sep 1945 All old Dutch banknotes declared invalid
- 28 Sep 1945 Mildred Price starring Joan Crawford opens at Strand
- 29 Sep 1945 Cubs clinch NL pennant
- 30 Sep 1945 The Bourne End rail crash, in Hertfordshire, England, kills 43
- 01 Oct 1945 Heavyweight champ Joe Louis is discharged from army
- 02 Oct 1945 George Albert Smith becomes president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- 03 Oct 1945 Tigers and Cubs meet in World Series for 4th time
- 04 Oct 1945 The Partizan Belgrade sports society is founded in Belgrade, Serbia.
- 05 Oct 1945 Meet the Press premieres on radio
- 06 Oct 1945 Memorial for executed unveiled in Terbregge
- 08 Oct 1945 US President Harry Truman announces atomic bomb secret shared with Britain and Canada.
- 09 Oct 1945 British troops occupy Andamanen in Gulf of Bengal
- 10 Oct 1945 Detroit Tigers beat Chicago Cubs, 4 games to 3 in 42nd World Series.
- 11 Oct 1945 JPL WAC Corporal Launch (1st Man-Made Object to escape Atmosphere)
- 12 Oct 1945 World War II: Desmond Doss is the first conscientious objector to receive the U.S. Medal of Honor.
- 14 Oct 1945 Chicago Cardinals end a record 29-game losing streak, beat Chicago Bears.
- 15 Oct 1945 Baseball Attendance hits record 10.28 million (Tigers 1.28 is highest)
- 16 Oct 1945 The Food and Agriculture Organization is founded in Quebec City, Canada.
- 18 Oct 1945 Nazi war crime trial opens in Nuremberg
- 20 Oct 1945 Supreme Court Justice Geoffrey Lawrence opens trial of Neurenberg
- 21 Oct 1945 Argentine military officer and politician Juan Peron marries actress Eva Peron.
- 23 Oct 1945 Jackie Robinson signs a contract with the Montreal Royals.
- 24 Oct 1945 Charter of United Nations of force became
- 25 Oct 1945 Japanese surrender Taiwan to General Chiang Kai-shek.
- 27 Oct 1945 Carib Song closes at Adelphi Theater NYC after 36 performances
- 29 Oct 1945 1st ball point pen goes on sale, 57 years after it is patented
- 30 Oct 1945 Branch Rickey signs Jackie Robinson to a Montreal Royals
- 01 Nov 1945 1st issue of Ebony magazine published by John H Johnson
- 05 Nov 1945 Colombia joins the United Nations.
- 06 Nov 1945 HUAC begins investigation of 7 radio commentators
- 08 Nov 1945 Girl from Nantucket opens at Adelphi Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 09 Nov 1945 Soo bahk do Moo Duk Kwan is founded.
- 10 Nov 1945 Are You with It? opens at Century Theater NYC for 264 performances
- 12 Nov 1945 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Cordell Hull (establishing UN)
- 13 Nov 1945 Australian Services draw 1st Victory Test against India
- 14 Nov 1945 Java: Sutan Sjahrir appointed as forming government
- 15 Nov 1945 The rules are revised for election of modern players to the Hall of
- 16 Nov 1945 Yeshiva College (University), chartered in New York, first US Jewish College.
- 17 Nov 1945 Girl from Nantucket closes at Adelphi Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 20 Nov 1945 24 Nazi leaders put on trial at Nuremberg, Germany
- 21 Nov 1945 General Motors' workers go on strike.
- 22 Nov 1945 Day before Spring opens at National Theater NYC for 167 performances
- 23 Nov 1945 Most US wartime rationing of foods, including meat and butter, ends
- 26 Nov 1945 During snow storm, school bus crashes, killing 15 (Washington).
- 27 Nov 1945 Dutch resistance fighter Hannie Schaft re-buried in presence of Queen Wilhelmina
- 28 Nov 1945 An earthquake in Balochistan (Pakistan) causes a tsunami and kills 4,000.
- 29 Nov 1945 Yugoslavian Socialist Republic proclaimed
- 30 Nov 1945 33rd CFL Grey Cup: Toronto Argonauts defeats Winn Blue Bombers, 35-0
- 01 Dec 1945 CFL Grey Cup: Toronto beats Winnipeg, 35-0 at Toronto
- 03 Dec 1945 Communist demonstrations in Athens presage the Greek Civil War.
- 04 Dec 1945 US Senate approves US participation in United Nations.
- 05 Dec 1945 Lost Squadron crashes east of Florida (Bermuda Triangle)
- 07 Dec 1945 Microwave oven patented.
- 10 Dec 1945 Preston Tucker reveals plan to produce the Torpedo, a new 150 MPH car.
- 11 Dec 1945 Het Parool publishes first "Captain Rob" Dutch comic strip.
- 12 Dec 1945 Special Court of justice convicts NSB-leader Mussert to death.
- 15 Dec 1945 Occupation of Japan: General Douglas MacArthur orders that Shinto be abolished as the state religion of Japan.
- 16 Dec 1945 Cleveland Rams win NFL championship.
- 18 Dec 1945 Uruguay joins the United Nations.
- 19 Dec 1945 Austrian Republic re-establishes.
- 20 Dec 1945 Rationing of auto tires ends in US.
- 21 Dec 1945 Billion Dollar Baby opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 219 performances
- 23 Dec 1945 Frederick Astons Cinderella premieres in London
- 26 Dec 1945 CFP franc and CFA franc are created.
- 27 Dec 1945 International Monetary Fund established - World Bank founded.
- 28 Dec 1945 The United States Congress officially recognizes the Pledge of Allegiance.
- 31 Dec 1945 Ratification of United Nations Charter completed.