With a major decade for tech development just ahead, 1977 was a significant year for technology. Laying the foundation for major tech advancements for the everyday person, there were two big events worth noting for this year.
The first event took place in Chicago, Illinois, with the demonstration of the world’s first, all-in-one, home computer – the Commodore PET. Along with this was the second event, the incorporation of Apple Computer. The combination of tech development for the everyday consumer and the incorporation of Apple would eventually lead to major tech breakthroughs in the coming decades.
In music, there were several notable developments. Fleetwood Mac, for instance, released their highly acclaimed album, Rumours. In another notable album release, The Clash released their debut, self-titled album, The Clash. In yet another album release this year, the Sex Pistols released their famous, or what some would call infamous, album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols. Queen also released their News of the World album, which included some of their most famous songs, including “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions.”
In another major music development, Elvis Presley gave his last concert at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana in June of 1977. He would pass away soon after this concert on August 16 at his home in Graceland.
There were some major developments in literature and film as well. In literature, J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion was published. This final collection of legends from Middle-earth was published posthumously, with Tolkien’s son, Christopher, playing a big part in having these works published.
In film, Star Wars opened in movie theatres, launching an iconic franchise that has captured the collective imagination of our culture for generations. In other film developments, Saturday Night Fever was released this year, helping launch the acting career of John Travolta and Disney released the animated classic, The Rescuers. The 49th Academy Awards were held this year, with Best Picture going to Rocky, starring Sylvester Stallone.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 50th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1977?
Which were the most popular books released in 1977 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1977
- Amnesty International
- Vicente Aleixandre
- Philip Warren Anderson
- Nevill Francis Mott
- John Hasbrouck Van Vleck
- Bertil Ohlin
- James Meade
- Ilya Prigogine
Physiology or Medicine
- Roger Guillemin
- Andrew Schally
- Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
Which were the top hits of 1977?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be Your Everything
- Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life
- Barbra Streisand - Love Theme From A Star Is Born (Evergreen)
- The Emotions - Best Of My Love
- Mary MacGregor - Torn Between Two Lovers
- Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
- Heatwave - Boogie Nights
- Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up (Part 1)
- Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
- Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
Top #1 songs in the UK
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1977
- Total population: 4.2 billion (4,229,506,060 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.6 billion, that is 38.0% of the total population of 1977 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +74.8 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.8%
- Average density: 28.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1977?
- 01 Jan 1977 1st woman formally ordained an Episcopal priest (Jacqueline Means)
- 02 Jan 1977 Bowie Kuhn suspends Atlanta Braves' owner Ted Turner for one year due to tampering charges in Gary Matthews free-agency signing.
- 03 Jan 1977 Lindy McDaniel retires with second most pitching appearances (987 games).
- 04 Jan 1977 Mary Shane hired by Chicago White Sox as 1st woman TV play-by-play
- 05 Jan 1977 Kenya President Jomo Kenyatta disbands parliament.
- 06 Jan 1977 EMI records drop punk rock group Sex Pistols
- 08 Jan 1977 Three bombs went off in Moscow within 37 minutes, killing seven. The bombings are attributed to an Armenian separatist group.
- 09 Jan 1977 Porgy & Bess closes at Uris Theater NYC after 122 performances
- 10 Jan 1977 20th hat trick in New York Islanders' history - Bobby Nystrom.
- 11 Jan 1977 France releases Abu Daoud, a Palestinian suspected of involvement in the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
- 12 Jan 1977 Ipi Tombi opens at Harkness Theater NYC for 39 performances
- 14 Jan 1977 Ana?s Nin, Cuban/American writer (Delta of Venus), dies at age 73.
- 15 Jan 1977 Coneheads debut on Saturday Night Live
- 17 Jan 1977 NFL Pro Bowl: AFC beats NFC 24-14
- 18 Jan 1977 Imran Khan takes 12 wickets in match for Pakistan win at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
- 19 Jan 1977 US President Gerald Ford pardons Iva Toguri (Tokyo Rose), convicted in 1949 of treason, as witness testimony included lies under threat by the FBI and occupation police.
- 20 Jan 1977 George Bush, ends term as 11th Director of CIA
- 21 Jan 1977 U.S. President Jimmy Carter grants an unconditional pardon to hundreds of thousands of men who evaded the draft during the Vietnam War.
- 23 Jan 1977 Miniseries Roots premieres on ABC
- 24 Jan 1977 Massacre of Atocha in Madrid, during the Spanish transition to democracy.
- 26 Jan 1977 Soviet figure skaters Sergei Shakrai and Marine Tcherkasova are first to perform a quadruple twist lift, in Helsinki, Finland.
- 27 Jan 1977 1st broadcast of Roots mini-series on ABC TV
- 28 Jan 1977 The first day of the Great Lakes Blizzard of 1977, which severely affects and cripples much of Upstate New York, but Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY, Watertown, NY, and surrounding areas are most affected, each area accumulating close to 10 feet (3.0 m) of snow on this one day.\ \ \ \ \ Disintegration of the Space Shuttle Challenger.
- 30 Jan 1977 8th (final) part of Roots is most-watched TV entertainment show to date.
- 31 Jan 1977 Joe Sewell, Amos Rusie, and Al Lopez elected to baseball Hall of Fame.
- 01 Feb 1977 Heavy blizzard in New England claims 100 lives.
- 02 Feb 1977 Radio Shack officially begins creating TRS-80 computer
- 03 Feb 1977 Martin Dihigo John Lloyd elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 04 Feb 1977 Elevated train jumps track, crashes onto Chicago street (11 die, 200 hurt).
- 05 Feb 1977 CB Savage by Rod Hart peaks at #67
- 06 Feb 1977 Harley Race beats Terry Funk in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to become NWA wrestling champion.
- 07 Feb 1977 Soyuz 24 launches with two cosmonauts.
- 08 Feb 1977 Hustler publisher Larry Flynt sentenced due to
- 10 Feb 1977 Party with Comden & Green opens at Morosco Theater NYC for 92 performances
- 11 Feb 1977 20.2-kg lobster caught off Nova Scotia, Canada (heaviest known crustacean).
- 12 Feb 1977 Toronto Maple Leafs shutout Washington Capitals 10-0.
- 13 Feb 1977 Guys & Dolls closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 239 performances
- 15 Feb 1977 Social-democrats win Danish parliamentary election.
- 18 Feb 1977 George Harrison releases True Love
- 19 Feb 1977 Shuttle Enterprise makes 1st Test flight atop a 747 jetliner
- 20 Feb 1977 My Fair Lady closes at St. James Theater NYC after 384 performances
- 21 Feb 1977 74 Unification Church couples wed in New York City, New York.
- 23 Feb 1977 Oscar Romero becomes Archbishop of San Salvador.
- 24 Feb 1977 US President Jimmy Carter announces US foreign aid will consider human rights.
- 25 Feb 1977 Oil tanker explosion west of Honolulu spills 31 million gallons
- 26 Feb 1977 1st flight of Space Shuttle (atop a Boeing 747)
- 27 Feb 1977 Keith Richards gets suspended sentence for heroin possession, Canada
- 28 Feb 1977 Harbor strike in Rotterdam / Amsterdam ends
- 01 Mar 1977 Bank of America adopts the name VISA for their credit cards.
- 02 Mar 1977 1st time Jay Leno appears on Tonight Show
- 03 Mar 1977 Ice Pairs Champs at Tokyo won by Irina Rodnina / Alexandr Zaitsev (URS)
- 04 Mar 1977 Earthquake in Romania, kills 1,541
- 05 Mar 1977 Formula One driver Tom Pryce dies after colliding with a track marshal at the South African Grand Prix in Kyalami.
- 07 Mar 1977 Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin meets US President Jimmy Carter.
- 08 Mar 1977 Henry L Marsh III elected Mayor of Richmond
- 09 Mar 1977 Hanafi Moslems invade 3 buildings in Washington DC, siege ended March 11th
- 10 Mar 1977 Rings of Uranus: Astronomers discover rings around Uranus.
- 11 Mar 1977 Muslims hold 130 hostages in Washington DC.
- 12 Mar 1977 The Centenary Test between Australia and England begins at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- 13 Mar 1977 Dennis Lillee takes 6-26, England all out 95 in Centenary Test.
- 15 Mar 1977 Eight is Enough premiers on ABC-TV
- 16 Mar 1977 US President Jimmy Carter pleads for Palestinian homeland.
- 18 Mar 1977 Clash releases their 1st recording White Riot
- 19 Mar 1977 Side by Side by Sondheim closes at Music Box NYC after 390 performances
- 20 Mar 1977 Communists / socialists win French municipal elections
- 22 Mar 1977 Uyl government falls
- 26 Mar 1977 Elvis Costello releases his first record "Less Than Zero".
- 27 Mar 1977 Sandra Palmer wins LPGA Kathryn Crosby / Honda Civic Golf Classic
- 28 Mar 1977 49th Academy Awards - Rocky, Peter Finch and Faye Dunaway win
- 01 Apr 1977 NFL decides to experiment with a 7th official in some preseason games.
- 02 Apr 1977 Montreal Canadiens set NHL record of 34 straight home games without a loss.
- 03 Apr 1977 Netherlands / Belgium / Luxembourg adopt summer time
- 04 Apr 1977 Grundy, Virginia experienced a major flood that made around $15 million in damages to 228 residential and commercial structures. To date the town is still recovering.
- 05 Apr 1977 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 06 Apr 1977 Judge rules Beatles 1962 Hamburg album can be released
- 07 Apr 1977 Toronto Blue Jays' first game, they beat Chicago Cubs 9-5.
- 08 Apr 1977 Israel premier Yitzhak Rabin resigns.
- 09 Apr 1977 Communist party legally allowed in Spain after 40 years.
- 10 Apr 1977 Cleveland Indians set club record for longest, 9 inning game (3:17).
- 11 Apr 1977 Ireland sets fishing zone at 50 miles.
- 14 Apr 1977 US Supreme Court rules people may refuse to display state motto on car license.
- 16 Apr 1977 Alex Haley finds his Roots in Juffure, Gambia
- 17 Apr 1977 I Love My Wife opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 864 performances
- 18 Apr 1977 Side by Side by Sondheim opens at Music Box NYC for 390 performances
- 20 Apr 1977 Supreme Court rules Live Free or Die may be covered on NH licenses
- 21 Apr 1977 Annie opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 2377 performances
- 22 Apr 1977 Simon Peres becomes premier of Israel.
- 23 Apr 1977 ADO The Hague soccer team forms.
- 24 Apr 1977 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA American Defender Golf Tournament.
- 26 Apr 1977 New York's famed disco Studio 54 opens.
- 27 Apr 1977 HCC, Hobby Computer Club, forms in the Netherlands
- 28 Apr 1977 Andreas Baader and members of Baader-Meinhoff jailed for life after a trial lasting nearly two years in Stuttgart, Germany.
- 29 Apr 1977 British Aerospace forms.
- 30 Apr 1977 Party with Comden & Green closes at Morosco NYC after 92 performances
- 01 May 1977 Empress Lilly dedicated
- 02 May 1977 King & I opens at Uris Theater NYC for 719 performances
- 03 May 1977 The light aircraft carrier ''HMS Invincible'' is launched at Barrow-in-Furness by Elizabeth II.
- 04 May 1977 The Space Mountain attraction opens in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in California.
- 06 May 1977 Beatles at Hollywood Bowl, released in the UK
- 07 May 1977 Happy End opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 75 performances
- 08 May 1977 Hollis Stacy wins LPGA Lady Tara Golf Classic.
- 09 May 1977 Mabel Murphy Smythe confirmed as ambassador to the Republic of Cameroon
- 11 May 1977 Ted Turner manages an Atlanta Braves game
- 12 May 1977 Emmy 4th Daytime Award presentation
- 13 May 1977 Howard Stern begins broadcasting at WRNW, Briarcliff Manor, New York
- 14 May 1977 Kansas City Royals' Jim Colborn no-hits the Texas Rangers, 6-0.
- 15 May 1977 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Greater Baltimore Golf Classic.
- 16 May 1977 Muhammad Ali beats Alfredo Evangelist in 15 round for heavyweight boxing title.
- 17 May 1977 Menahem Begin's Likoed-party wins election in Israel.
- 18 May 1977 Nightclub in Cincinnati fire kills 164
- 19 May 1977 Smokey & the Bandit, premieres
- 21 May 1977 Fiddler on the Roof closes at Winter Garden NYC after 167 performances
- 22 May 1977 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Coca-Cola Golf Classic.
- 23 May 1977 US Supreme Court refuses to hear appeals of Watergate wrong-doers H R Halderman, John Ehrlichman, and John Mitchell.
- 24 May 1977 USSR President Podgorny resigns.
- 25 May 1977 Beatles Live! At Star-Club in Hamburg Germany released
- 26 May 1977 Movie Star Wars debuts
- 27 May 1977 New York City fines George Willig 1 cent for each of 110 stories of the World Trade Center he climbed.
- 28 May 1977 In Southgate, Kentucky, the Beverly Hills Supper Club is engulfed in fire, killing 165 people inside.
- 29 May 1977 Janet Guthrie becomes 1st woman to drive in Indy 500
- 30 May 1977 Cleveland Indians' Dennis Eckersley no-hits California Angels, 2-0.
- 31 May 1977 Beatlemania opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 920 performances
- 01 Jun 1977 British Virgin Islands adopts constitution
- 02 Jun 1977 New Jersey allows casino gambling in Atlantic City.
- 03 Jun 1977 Belgium government of Tindemans forms
- 04 Jun 1977 Apple II, the 1st personal computer, goes on sale
- 05 Jun 1977 1st personal computer, Apple II, goes on sale
- 06 Jun 1977 Washington Post reports US has developed neutron bomb
- 07 Jun 1977 White Sox draft Harold Baines #1
- 08 Jun 1977 Nolan Ryan notches his 4th career 19-strikeout game
- 09 Jun 1977 50th National Spelling Bee: John Paola wins spelling cambist
- 10 Jun 1977 Apple Computer ships its first Apple II personal computer.
- 11 Jun 1977 Dance & Shake Your Tambourine by Universal Robot Band peaks at #93
- 12 Jun 1977 Pippin closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 1944 performances
- 13 Jun 1977 Convicted Martin Luther King Jr. assassin James Earl Ray is recaptured after escaping from prison three days before.
- 15 Jun 1977 New York Mets trade Tom Seaver to Reds for Pat Zachry
- 16 Jun 1977 Beatlemania opens on Broadway
- 18 Jun 1977 Sex Pistols Johnny Rotten and Paul Cook, beaten and robbed by London pub
- 19 Jun 1977 77th US Golf Open: Hubert Green shoots a 278 at Southern Hills Tulsa
- 20 Jun 1977 Menahem Begin forms Israeli government
- 21 Jun 1977 Former White House chief of staff Harry R Haldeman enters prison.
- 22 Jun 1977 Former Attorney General John Mitchell starts 19 months in Alabama prison.
- 24 Jun 1977 IRS reveals Jimmy Carter paid no taxes in 1976
- 25 Jun 1977 LBJ denies report he had a cancer during his presidency
- 26 Jun 1977 Debbie Austin wins LPGA Hoosier Golf Classic
- 27 Jun 1977 Djibouti (Afars & Issas) claims Independence from France
- 28 Jun 1977 US Supreme Court allows Federal control of Nixon tapes papers.
- 29 Jun 1977 Supreme Court rules out death penalty for rapists of adults
- 30 Jun 1977 Marvel Comics publish Kiss book tributing rock group Kiss
- 01 Jul 1977 84th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Virginia Wade beats B Stove (46 63 61)
- 03 Jul 1977 5th du Maurier Golf Classic (Peter Jackson Classic): Judy Rankin
- 04 Jul 1977 Nigel Harrison replaces Gary Valentine as bassist of Blondie
- 05 Jul 1977 Military coup in Pakistan: Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, the first elected Prime Minister of Pakistan, is overthrown.
- 07 Jul 1977 12,000 police occupy university in Mexico City
- 08 Jul 1977 Sabra Starr finishes longest recorded belly dance (100 hrs)
- 09 Jul 1977 106th British Golf Open: Tom Watson shoots a 268 at Turnberry Scotland
- 10 Jul 1977 Happy End closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 75 performances
- 11 Jul 1977 US Medal of Freedom awarded posthumously to Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.
- 12 Jul 1977 1st free flight test of space shuttle Enterprise
- 13 Jul 1977 New York City, amidst a period of financial and social turmoil experiences a blackout lasting nearly 24 hours that leads to widespread fires and looting.
- 14 Jul 1977 North Korea shoots down US helicopter, killing 3
- 15 Jul 1977 Anti-drug campaigner Donald Mackay disappears near Griffith, New South Wales (presumed murdered).
- 16 Jul 1977 Janelle Commissiong, of Trinidad and Tobago, crowned 26th Miss Universe
- 17 Jul 1977 Joanne Carner wins LPGA Borden Golf Classic
- 18 Jul 1977 Vietnam becomes member of UN
- 19 Jul 1977 48th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 7-5 at Yankee Stadium, New York
- 20 Jul 1977 Flash flood hits Johnstown, Pennsylvania, kills 80 and causing US$350 million damage.
- 21 Jul 1977 Libyan-Egyptian border fights
- 22 Jul 1977 Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping is restored to power.
- 23 Jul 1977 Washington jury convicts 12 Hanafi Muslims on hostage charges.
- 24 Jul 1977 Pete Rose passes Frankie Frisch as switch-hit leader with 2,881
- 26 Jul 1977 The National Assembly of Quebec imposes the use of French as the official language of the provincial government.
- 27 Jul 1977 John Lennon is granted a green card for permanent residence in US.
- 28 Jul 1977 1st oil through the TransAlaska Pipeline System reach Valdez, Alaska
- 30 Jul 1977 Left-wing German terrorists Susanne Albrecht, Dresdner-Bank.com chairman of the Dresdner Bank in Oberursel, West Germany.
- 31 Jul 1977 Debbie Austin wins LPGA Pocono Northeast Golf Classic
- 01 Aug 1977 Former Lockheed U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers crashes the news helicopter he is flying in Los Angeles
- 03 Aug 1977 Radio Shack issues a press release introducing TRS-80 computer 25 existed, within weeks thousands were ordered
- 04 Aug 1977 President Carter establishes Department of Energy
- 07 Aug 1977 Shenandoah closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 1,050 performances
- 08 Aug 1977 Maurine Stuart, ordained as Zen priest by Eido Tai Shimano Roshi
- 09 Aug 1977 Chris Old completes a century in 37 mins, Yorks vs. Warwicks
- 10 Aug 1977 US and Panamana sign Panama Canal Zone accord
- 11 Aug 1977 Geoff Boycott scores his 100th FC hundred, vs. Aust at Headingley
- 12 Aug 1977 Space shuttle Enterprise makes first atmospheric flight.
- 13 Aug 1977 1st test glide of shuttle
- 14 Aug 1977 59th PGA Championship: Lanny Wadkins shoots a 282 at Pebble Beach, California
- 15 Aug 1977 SS chief Kappler escapes from prison hospital in Rome
- 17 Aug 1977 Russian nuclear sub Artika is 1st to North Pole
- 18 Aug 1977 2 girls are killed by a runaway car outside of Graceland
- 19 Aug 1977 Julius (Groucho) Marx, comedian (Marx Bros), dies in Los Angeles at age 86.
- 20 Aug 1977 NASA launches Voyager 2 towards Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune
- 21 Aug 1977 Debbie Austin wins LPGA Wheeling Golf Classic
- 23 Aug 1977 Marxist philosopher Rudolf Bahro imprisoned in German DR
- 26 Aug 1977 Frank Martinus Arion forms Surinamese Writers group 77
- 27 Aug 1977 Chicago closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 947 performances
- 28 Aug 1977 Bonnie Lauer wins LPGA Patty Berg Golf Classic
- 31 Aug 1977 Spyros Kyprianou appointed President of Cyprus
- 01 Sep 1977 1st TRS-80 Model I computer sold
- 03 Sep 1977 Last broadcast of Mary Tyler Moore Show on NBC-TV
- 04 Sep 1977 Godspell closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 527 performances
- 05 Sep 1977 RAF kidnap West German work Chairman Schleyer
- 06 Sep 1977 Angels acquire Dave Kingman from Padres for cash 9 days later Yankees buy Kingman (started with Mets) who plays in all 4 divisions in 1977
- 07 Sep 1977 Ethiopia drops diplomatic relations with Somalia
- 08 Sep 1977 Jimmy McCullough quits Wings
- 09 Sep 1977 1st TRS-80 computer sold
- 10 Sep 1977 91st US Womens Tennis: Chris Evert L Mills beats W Turnbull (76 62)
- 11 Sep 1977 97th US Mens Tennis: Guillermo Vilas beats Jimmy Connors (26 63 75 60)
- 12 Sep 1977 South African anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko is killed in police custody.
- 13 Sep 1977 1st TV viewer discretion warning-Soap
- 14 Sep 1977 Christmas Tinto sentenced to 7 years in Robbeneiland South Africa
- 15 Sep 1977 Man of La Mancha opens at Palace Theater NYC for 124 performances
- 16 Sep 1977 Ringo releases Drowning in Sea of Love
- 17 Sep 1977 Dave Kingman hits his first New York Yankees' homer, Reggie Jackson hits two more.
- 18 Sep 1977 All 4 Kiss members release solo albums
- 19 Sep 1977 Under pressure from the Carter Administration, President Anastasio Somoza Debayle lifts the state of siege in Nicaragua.
- 20 Sep 1977 Estrada opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 21 Sep 1977 US Minister of Foreign Affairs Cyrus Vance dismissed
- 22 Sep 1977 West German RAF terrorist kills policeman in Utrecht
- 23 Sep 1977 3rd test of Space Shuttle Enterprise
- 24 Sep 1977 Estrada closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 7 performances
- 25 Sep 1977 Jane Blalock wins LPGA Sarah Coventry Golf Tournament
- 26 Sep 1977 Cleveland Browns play their 1st overtime game, beat Patriots 30-27
- 27 Sep 1977 Phillies clinch 2nd straight NL East Division title
- 28 Sep 1977 The Porsche 928 debuts at the Geneva Auto Convention.
- 29 Sep 1977 Star Wars Theme / Cantina Band, by Meco hits #1
- 30 Sep 1977 Dutch Antillean government-Evertsz resigns
- 01 Oct 1977 Department Of Energy established
- 02 Oct 1977 Dusty Baker 30th HR joins teammates Steve Garvey (33), Reggie Smith (32), and Ron Cey (30) in make Dodgers 1st team to boast 4 30-HR hitters
- 03 Oct 1977 Comedy with Music (Victor Borge) opens at Imperial NYC for 66 performances
- 04 Oct 1977 Pier 39 opens in San Francisco, California.
- 05 Oct 1977 Hair opens at Biltmore Theater NYC for 43 performances
- 06 Oct 1977 DL Coburns Gin Game, premieres in New York City
- 07 Oct 1977 Guitarist Steve Hackett quits Genesis
- 08 Oct 1977 Largest baseball crowd in Pennsylvania, 64,924 see Los Angeles Dodgers beat Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in fourth National League championship game (Dodgers win pennant).
- 09 Oct 1977 Amy Alcott wins LPGA Houston Exchange Clubs Golf Classic
- 10 Oct 1977 11th Country Music Association Award: Ronnie Milsap wins
- 11 Oct 1977 Soyuz 25 returns to Earth.
- 12 Oct 1977 4th test of space shuttle Enterprise
- 13 Oct 1977 The Atari 2600 game system is released.
- 14 Oct 1977 Princess Beatrice opens Amsterdam metro
- 15 Oct 1977 Don Ritchie runs world record 100 mile (11:30:51)
- 17 Oct 1977 Canada begins regular live TV coverage of Parliament.
- 18 Oct 1977 W German commandos liberate Boeing 737, 86 hostages at Mogadishu
- 19 Oct 1977 Corpse of kidnapped West German, H M Schleyer, found
- 20 Oct 1977 Hamilton Deane and John Balderstons Dracula, premieres in New York City
- 21 Oct 1977 US recalls William Bowdler, ambassador to South Africa.
- 22 Oct 1977 International Sun-Earth Explorers 1 and 2 launched into Earth orbit.
- 23 Oct 1977 8th NYC Marathon won by Bill Rodgers in 2:11:38
- 24 Oct 1977 Veterans Day is observed on the fourth Monday in October for the seventh and last time. (The holiday is once again observed on November 11 beginning the following year.)
- 25 Oct 1977 Digital Equipment Corporation releases OpenVMS V1.0.
- 26 Oct 1977 5th and final test of space shuttle Enterprise
- 27 Oct 1977 Amsterdam businessman M Caransa kidnapped
- 29 Oct 1977 Act opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 233 performances
- 30 Oct 1977 Panama 747SP lands after polar flight around Earth in record 54:07
- 01 Nov 1977 President Carter raises minimum wages of $2.30 to $3.35 for Jan 1 1981
- 02 Nov 1977 The worst storm in Athens' modern history causes havoc across the Greek capital and kills 38 people.
- 03 Nov 1977 Debbie Massey wins LPGA Mizuno-Japan Golf Classic
- 04 Nov 1977 UN Security council proclaims weapon embargo against South Africa
- 05 Nov 1977 NCAA passing record set at 571 yards (Marc Wilson, Brigham Young).
- 06 Nov 1977 Hair closes at Biltmore Theater NYC after 43 performances
- 08 Nov 1977 Bucky Harris dies on his 81st birthday in Bethesda, Maryland, USA; Major League Baseball player-manager for the Washington Senators in the 1920s.
- 09 Nov 1977 Gen. Hugo Banzer, president of the military government of Bolivia, announces that the constitutional democracy will be restored in 1978 instead of 1980 as previously provided.
- 10 Nov 1977 Amsterdam: RAF-terrorists Gert Schneider / Christof Wackernagel arrested
- 12 Nov 1977 Ernest N Morial elected Mayor of New Orleans
- 13 Nov 1977 Silvia Bertolaccini wins LPGA Colgate Far East Golf Open
- 14 Nov 1977 Egypt President Sadat repeats willingness to visit Israel to Cronkite
- 15 Nov 1977 US President Jimmy Carter welcomes Shah of Iran.
- 16 Nov 1977 Rod Carew wins AL MVP award
- 17 Nov 1977 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat formally accepts invitation to visit Israel.
- 19 Nov 1977 Egyptian President Anwar Sadat becomes the first Arab leader to officially visit Israel, when he meets Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin and speaks before the Knesset in Jerusalem, seeking a permanent peace settlement.
- 20 Nov 1977 Steve Largent begins NFL streak of 177 consecutive game receptions
- 21 Nov 1977 Orioles 1st baseman Eddie Murray wins AL Rookie of Year
- 22 Nov 1977 Regular Concorde passenger service between New York and Europe begins.
- 23 Nov 1977 Jesus Christ Superstar opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 96 performances
- 24 Nov 1977 Miami Bob Greise passes for 6 touchdowns vs. St. Louis (55-14)
- 25 Nov 1977 Miss Teenage America Pageant
- 26 Nov 1977 'Vrillon', claiming to be the representative of the 'Ashtar Galactic Command', takes over Britain's Southern Television for six minutes at 5:12 PM.
- 27 Nov 1977 Comedy with Music (Victor Borge) closes at Imperial New York after 66 performances
- 30 Nov 1977 International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) founded as specialized agency of the United Nations.
- 04 Dec 1977 Hollis Stacy / Jerry Pate wins Pepsi-Cola Mixed Team Golf Championship
- 05 Dec 1977 Egypt breaks diplomatic relations with Syria, Libya, Algeria, Iraq and South Yemen. The move is in retaliation for the Declaration of Tripoli against Egypt.
- 06 Dec 1977 South Africa grants independence to Bophuthatswana, although it is not recognized by any other country.
- 08 Dec 1977 43rd Heisman Trophy Award: Earl Campbell, Texas (RB).
- 10 Dec 1977 Soyuz 26 carries two cosmonauts to Salyut 6 space station.
- 11 Dec 1977 Billboard Awards
- 13 Dec 1977 Entire University of Evansville basketball team (14 players) die in plane crash.
- 14 Dec 1977 Saturday Night Fever, starring John Travolta, premieres in New York City
- 16 Dec 1977 Mikhail Baryshnikov's 1976 production of Tchaikovsky's beloved ballet ''The Nutcracker'' comes to CBS a year after premiering onstage at the Kennedy Center. This adaptation will become the most popular television production of the work.
- 17 Dec 1977 Elvis Costello and The Attractions 1st US TV appearance (SNL)
- 18 Dec 1977 Cleveland Cavaliers retire jersey number 42 (Nate Thumond).
- 19 Dec 1977 Dutch government of Van Agt / Wiegel forms
- 20 Dec 1977 Djibouti and Vietnam join the United Nations.
- 22 Dec 1977 36 die as grain elevator at Continental Grain Company plant explodes.
- 25 Dec 1977 Prime Minister of Israel Menachem Begin meets in Egypt with President of Egypt, Anwar Sadat.
- 30 Dec 1977 US President Jimmy Carter holds first news conference by US President in Eastern Europe (Warsaw, Poland).
- 31 Dec 1977 Bubbling Brown Sugar closes at ANTA Theater NYC after 766 performances