With a major decade for tech development just ahead, 1977 was a significant year for technology. Laying the foundation for major tech advancements for the everyday person, there were two big events worth noting for this year.
The first event took place in Chicago, Illinois, with the demonstration of the world’s first, all-in-one, home computer – the Commodore PET. Along with this was the second event, the incorporation of Apple Computer. The combination of tech development for the everyday consumer and the incorporation of Apple would eventually lead to major tech breakthroughs in the coming decades.
In music, there were several notable developments. Fleetwood Mac, for instance, released their highly acclaimed album, Rumours. In another notable album release, The Clash released their debut, self-titled album, The Clash. In yet another album release this year, the Sex Pistols released their famous, or what some would call infamous, album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols. Queen also released their News of the World album, which included some of their most famous songs, including “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions.”
In another major music development, Elvis Presley gave his last concert at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana in June of 1977. He would pass away soon after this concert on August 16 at his home in Graceland.
There were some major developments in literature and film as well. In literature, J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion was published. This final collection of legends from Middle-earth was published posthumously, with Tolkien’s son, Christopher, playing a big part in having these works published.
In film, Star Wars opened in movie theatres, launching an iconic franchise that has captured the collective imagination of our culture for generations. In other film developments, Saturday Night Fever was released this year, helping launch the acting career of John Travolta and Disney released the animated classic, The Rescuers. The 49th Academy Awards were held this year, with Best Picture going to Rocky, starring Sylvester Stallone.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1977 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life
- Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now (Theme From Rocky)
- Heatwave - Boogie Nights
- Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
- Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up (Part 1)
- Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love
- Barbra Streisand - Love Theme From A Star Is Born (Evergreen)
- Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be Your Everything
- Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
- The Emotions - Best Of My Love
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Rod Stewart - I Don't Want To Talk About It / First Cut Is The Deepest
- Abba - Knowing Me, Knowing You
- David Soul - Silver Lady
- David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us
- Donna Summer - I Feel Love
- Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina
- Elvis Presley - Way Down
- Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie
- Kenny Rogers - Lucille
- La Belle Epoque - Black Is Black
Which were the most popular books released in 1977 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1977 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1977
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1977