The 1970s continued previous trends surrounding the improvement of women’s rights and the world’s growing sense of political awareness.
In this decade, much of the world replaced Keynesian economics with a more neoliberal theory. The year 1973 fits perfectly into these general trends while possessing some notable events of its own. The world population clocked in at roughly 3.2 billion people.
The most popular baby names of the day were Michael and Lisa. Some of the famous people born this year include Seth Macfarlane, Tyra Banks, and Paul Walker. The Birds, Cleopatra, and The Great Escape dominated in movie ticket sales, meanwhile at the library and the bookstore, The Hollow Hills and The Belljar grabbed the public’s gaze.
The world lost a lot of greats in 1973 including W.E.B Du Bois, Pablo Picasso, Bruce Lee, and fantasy writer JR R Tolkien. Let’s look at some other things that happened.
The year saw plenty of firsts: the first graduate to receive degrees from a work-at-home program, the first KISS performance, the first female jockey to win a major race, and the creation of the first portable cell phone.
Animals saw greater protection around the world as Nixon signed the Endangered Species Act into law. In this same year, psychology ended homosexuality’s classification as a mental illness. Sports saw Billie King beat Chris Evert in tennis and the world also watched as Queen Elizabeth II opened the Sydney Opera House.
In terms of darker happenings, 1973 saw the four burglars at Watergate plead guilty and the first shots s of the Yom Kippur war. While conflict kicked up on the Arab-Israeli front, peace increased on American soil when Nixon began pulling troops out of Northern Vietnam. If you are addicted to your smartphone, or earned a degree long distance, 1973 may have had something to do with it.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 46th edition of the Oscar ceremony
George Roy Hill
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1973?
Which were the most popular books released in 1973 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1973
- Henry Kissinger
- Le Duc Tho
- Patrick White
- Leo Esaki
- Ivar Giaever
- Brian David Josephson
- Wassily Leontief
- Ernst Otto Fischer
- Geoffrey Wilkinson
Physiology or Medicine
- Karl von Frisch
- Konrad Lorenz
- Nikolaas Tinbergen
Which were the top hits of 1973?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
- Dawn - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree
- Eddie Kendricks - Keep On Truckin' (Part 1)
- Elton John - Crocodile Rock
- Carly Simon - You're So Vain
- Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song
- Paul McCartney - My Love
- Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
- Carpenters - Top Of The World
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back Again
- Dawn featuring Tony Orlando - Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree
- The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
- Gary Glitter - I Love You Love Me Love
- Peters & Lee - Welcome Home
- Gary Glitter - I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)
- Wizzard - See My Baby Jive
- The Sweet - Blockbuster
- David Cassidy - Daydreamer / Puppy Song
- Donny Osmond - Young Love
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1973
- Total population: 3.9 billion (3,927,780,238 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 1.5 billion, that is 37.0% of the total population of 1973 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +76.3 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.98%
- Average density: 26.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1973?
- 01 Jan 1973 West African Economic Community forms (Benin, Ivory Coast, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal, Upper Volta).
- 03 Jan 1973 George Steinbrenner III buys New York Yankees from CBS for US$12 million.
- 04 Jan 1973 The pilot episode of the longest-running TV comedy series in the world ''Last of the Summer Wine'' is broadcast in the United Kingdom.
- 05 Jan 1973 Netherlands recognizes German Democratic Republic.
- 06 Jan 1973 Schoolhouse Rock, premieres on ABC-TV with Multiplication Rock
- 07 Jan 1973 Purlie closes at Billy Rose Theater NYC after 14 performances
- 08 Jan 1973 Tricks opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 8 performances
- 09 Jan 1973 Luna 21 launched, to Moon
- 10 Jan 1973 Gas tank on Staten Island explodes, 40 die
- 11 Jan 1973 American League adopts designated hitter rule.
- 13 Jan 1973 Tricks closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 14 Jan 1973 Grateful Dead bass player, Phil Lesh, busted on drugs in California
- 15 Jan 1973 Gene Shalit joins Today Show panel
- 16 Jan 1973 NBC presents 440th and final showing of Bonanza
- 17 Jan 1973 City of Amsterdam decides to support Hanoi, Vietnam.
- 18 Jan 1973 Boston Red Sox sign Orlando Cepeda as first player signed as a designated hitter.
- 20 Jan 1973 U.S. President Richard Nixon is inaugurated for his second term.
- 21 Jan 1973 Leslie Nielson appears on M*A*S*H in Ringbanger
- 22 Jan 1973 Roe vs. Wade: US Supreme Court legalizes some abortions
- 23 Jan 1973 Jordan Air crash at Kano, Nigeria kills 176 Muslim pilgrims.
- 24 Jan 1973 Warren Spahn is elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 25 Jan 1973 English actor Derren Nesbitt is convicted of assaulting his wife Anne Aubrey.
- 26 Jan 1973 Belgium government of Leburton forms.
- 27 Jan 1973 US and Vietnam sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and milt draft
- 28 Jan 1973 Barnaby Jones premieres on CBS TV
- 30 Jan 1973 1st Kiss concert (Queens NY)
- 31 Jan 1973 Pan American and Trans World Airlines cancelled their options to buy 13 Concorde airliners.
- 01 Feb 1973 Monte Irvin elected to baseball Hall of Fame.
- 02 Feb 1973 Midnight Special rock music show debuts on NBC-TV
- 03 Feb 1973 US President Richard Nixon signs Endangered Species Act into law.
- 04 Feb 1973 No, No Nanette closes at 46th St. Theater NYC after 861 performances
- 05 Feb 1973 Comic strip Hagar The Horrible debuted
- 06 Feb 1973 Shelter opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 31 performances
- 07 Feb 1973 1st time Rangers shut-out Islanders 6-0
- 08 Feb 1973 Jean Kerrs Finishing Touches, premieres in New York City
- 09 Feb 1973 Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
- 10 Feb 1973 2nd time Rangers shut-out Islanders 6-0
- 11 Feb 1973 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Naples-Lely Golf Classic.
- 12 Feb 1973 Ohio becomes the first US state to post distances on signs in System International (Metric) units.
- 13 Feb 1973 Musical El Grande de Coca-Cola, premieres in New York City
- 14 Feb 1973 The last American is conscripted into the armed forces.
- 15 Feb 1973 USSR launches Prognoz 3 to study sun (589 / 200,300 km)
- 16 Feb 1973 The Court of Appeal of England and Wales rules that the ''Sunday Times'' can publish articles on Thalidomide and Distillers Company, despite ongoing legal actions by parents (the decision is overturned in July by the House of Lords).
- 18 Feb 1973 Sandra Palmer wins LPGA Pompano Beach Golf Classic.
- 20 Feb 1973 10th time New York Islanders shut-out - 4-0 versus Pittsburgh Penguins.
- 21 Feb 1973 Israeli fighters shoot Libyan aircraft down, killing 108
- 22 Feb 1973 US and China agree to establish liaison offices in Beijing and Washington DC.
- 23 Feb 1973 Gold goes up US$10 overnight to record US$95 an ounce in London, England.
- 25 Feb 1973 Little Night Music opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 601 performances
- 26 Feb 1973 Triple Crown horse Secretariat bought for a record US$5.7 million.
- 27 Feb 1973 Members of American Indian Movement begin occupation of Wounded Knee
- 28 Feb 1973 Suriname government of Sedney arrests 13 union leaders.
- 01 Mar 1973 Robert Joffrey Dance Company opens
- 02 Mar 1973 Cleo Noel, US ambassador to Sudan, is assassinated.
- 03 Mar 1973 Shelter closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 31 performances
- 04 Mar 1973 15th Grammy Awards: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", America.
- 05 Mar 1973 Yankee pitchers Peterson and Kekich announce they swapped wives
- 06 Mar 1973 In an exhibition game with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Minnesota Twins' Larry Hisle becomes the first designated hitter (he hits two homeruns and knocks in 7 RBIs).
- 07 Mar 1973 Comet (Lubos) Kohoutek discovered at Hamburg Observatory.
- 08 Mar 1973 Eisenhower Tunnel, world's highest/US longest, opens.
- 10 Mar 1973 Morocco adopts constitution.
- 11 Mar 1973 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA S&H Green Stamp Golf Classic.
- 12 Mar 1973 March 12 - Last episode of original quotLaugh-Inquot airs on NBC. The show would continue with re-runs until May 14, 1973.
- 13 Mar 1973 Irene opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 605 performances
- 14 Mar 1973 Liam Cosgrave is appointed president of Ireland.
- 15 Mar 1973 In San Juan Capistrano, California, USA a building is hit by a falling meteorite.
- 17 Mar 1973 St. Patrick Day marchers carry 14 coffins commemorating Bloody Sunday
- 18 Mar 1973 Seesaw opens at Uris Theater NYC for 296 performances
- 19 Mar 1973 Dean tells Nixon, There is a cancer growing on the Presidency
- 20 Mar 1973 Roberto Clemente elected to Hall of Fame, 11 weeks after his death.
- 21 Mar 1973 Frank Mahovlich becomes 5th NHL player to score 500 goals.
- 23 Mar 1973 Yoko Ono is granted permanent residence in US
- 24 Mar 1973 San Francisco 49ers' president Lou Spadia proposes NFL expand to 30 teams.
- 25 Mar 1973 27th Tony Awards: That Championship Season and Little Night Music win.
- 26 Mar 1973 Soap Young and the Restless premieres
- 27 Mar 1973 45th Academy Awards: The Godfather, Marlon Brando and Liza Minnelli win. Marlon Brando turns down Oscar for best actor in support of Indians.
- 29 Mar 1973 US troops leave Vietnam, 9 yrs after Tonkin Resolution
- 30 Mar 1973 Ellsworth Bunker resigns as US ambassador to South Vietnam.
- 31 Mar 1973 Ken Norton defeats Muhammad Ali in a 12-round split decision.
- 01 Apr 1973 Japan allows its citizens to own gold.
- 02 Apr 1973 ITT pleads guilty to asking CIA to affect Chilean President election
- 03 Apr 1973 Martin Cooper of Motorola made the first handheld mobile phone call to Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs, though it took ten years for the DynaTAC 8000X to become the first such phone to be commercially released.
- 04 Apr 1973 The World Trade Center in New York is officially dedicated.
- 05 Apr 1973 Pioneer 11 launched to Jupiter
- 06 Apr 1973 Harbor strike in Gent / Antwerp, Belgium
- 07 Apr 1973 Cleveland Indians sets day-game and opening-game attendance records of 74,420.
- 09 Apr 1973 Netherlands recognizes North Vietnam.
- 10 Apr 1973 BEA flight to Basel Switz, crashes on landing, killing 104 of 143
- 11 Apr 1973 The British House of Commons voted against restoring capital punishment by a margin of 142 votes.
- 12 Apr 1973 Sudan adopts constitution.
- 14 Apr 1973 Acting FBI director L Patrick Gray resigns after admitting he destroyed evidence in the Watergate scandal.
- 15 Apr 1973 Walt Disney Story opens
- 17 Apr 1973 77th Boston Marathon won by Jon Anderson of Oregon in 2:16:03.
- 19 Apr 1973 Barbra Streisand records Between Yesterday & Tomorrow
- 20 Apr 1973 Canadian ANIK A2 becomes first commercial satellite in orbit.
- 25 Apr 1973 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- 26 Apr 1973 2 Gentlemen of Verona, musical opens in London
- 27 Apr 1973 Kansas City Royals' Steve Busby no-hits Detroit Tigers, 3-0.
- 28 Apr 1973 Six Irishmen, including Joe Cahill, are arrested by the Irish Naval Service off County Waterford, on board a coaster carrying 5 tons of weapons destined for the Provisional Irish Republican Army.
- 29 Apr 1973 Gloria Ehret wins LPGA Birmingham Golf Classic.
- 30 Apr 1973 Nixon announces resignation of Haldeman, Ehrlichman, et al
- 01 May 1973 San Francisco Giants score seven runs with two outs in 9th inning to beat Pittsburgh Pirates, 8-7.
- 02 May 1973 Robert A. Siegel Auction Galleries sells a US 1868 3-cent rose George Washington postage stamp with "B" grill embossing for US$23,000 The stamp is one of four known; this is the first time one is sold at public auction.
- 03 May 1973 Chicago's Sears Tower, world's tallest building (443 metres), tops out.
- 04 May 1973 Phillies beat Braves 5-4 in 20 innings
- 05 May 1973 99th Kentucky Derby: Ron Turcotte aboard Secretariat wins in 1:59.4.
- 06 May 1973 Judy Rankin wins LPGA American Defender-Raleigh Golf Classic.
- 08 May 1973 Indians holding SD hamlet of Wounded Knee for 10 weeks surrender
- 10 May 1973 Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens beat Chicago Blackhawks, 4 games to 2.
- 11 May 1973 Dutch Government of Uyl forms.
- 12 May 1973 Dueling Tubas by Martin Mull hits #92
- 13 May 1973 Cyrano opens at Palace Theater NYC for 49 performances
- 14 May 1973 Skylab launched, the first Space Station.
- 16 May 1973 AC Milan wins 13th Europe Cup II in Saloniki.
- 17 May 1973 Nash at Nine opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 21 performances
- 18 May 1973 Russian party leader Brezhnev visits West Germany.
- 19 May 1973 Daisy A Day by Jud Strunk hits #14
- 20 May 1973 2 Gentlemen of Verona closes at St. James Theater NYC after 613 performances
- 22 May 1973 Emmy News and Documentaries Award presentation
- 24 May 1973 Earl Jellicoe resigns as Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- 25 May 1973 George Harrison releases Give Me Love in the UK
- 26 May 1973 Funky Worm by Ohio Players hits #15
- 27 May 1973 Rick Wohlhuter runs record 880 yards in 1:44.6.
- 28 May 1973 Jacques Lipchitz, Polish/French/US art critic sculptor, dies at age 81.
- 29 May 1973 Columbia Records fires President Clive Davis for misappropriating $100,000 in funds, Davis will start Arista records
- 30 May 1973 Ajax wins third Europe Cup.
- 31 May 1973 The United States Senate votes to cut off funding for the bombing of Khmer Rouge targets within Cambodia, hastening the end of the Cambodian Civil War.
- 01 Jun 1973 Greek President Papadopoulos asks for Parliamentary Presidential Republic
- 02 Jun 1973 Nash at Nine closes at Helen Hayes Theater NYC after 21 performances
- 03 Jun 1973 Smith closes at Eden Theater NYC after 17 performances
- 04 Jun 1973 43rd French Womens Tennis: Margaret Court beats C Evert (67 76 64)
- 05 Jun 1973 43rd French Mens Tennis: Ilse Nastase beats Nikki Pilic (63 63 60)
- 07 Jun 1973 Rangers draft Texas high school pitcher David Clyde #1
- 08 Jun 1973 Admiral Luis Carrero Blanco appointed Premier of Spain
- 09 Jun 1973 105th Belmont: Ron Turcotte aboard Secretariat wins in 2:24
- 10 Jun 1973 19th LPGA Championship won by Mary Mills
- 12 Jun 1973 Yanks trade wife swapper Mike Kekich for Lowell Palmer
- 14 Jun 1973 46th National Spelling Bee: Barrie Trinkle wins spelling vouchsafe
- 15 Jun 1973 American Graffiti opens in New York City
- 16 Jun 1973 Leonid I Brezhnev visit US
- 17 Jun 1973 1st du Maurier Golf Classic (La Canadienne): Jocelyne Bourassa
- 18 Jun 1973 NCAA makes urine testing mandatory for participants.
- 19 Jun 1973 Rocky Horror Picture Show, stage production opens in London
- 20 Jun 1973 San Francisco Giants Bobby Bonds sets NL record with 22 lead off HRs
- 22 Jun 1973 Dutch High Council stops fluorine addition to drink water
- 23 Jun 1973 Cyrano closes at Palace Theater NYC after 49 performances
- 24 Jun 1973 Marlene Raymond (age 15), limboes under a flaming bar at 6.125 inches.
- 25 Jun 1973 Russian party leader Brezhnev visits France
- 26 Jun 1973 London production of Grease premieres
- 27 Jun 1973 Live & Let Die premieres in US
- 28 Jun 1973 Black Sports Hall of Fame forms: Paul Robeson, Elgin Baylor, Jesse Owens, Jim Brown, Wilma Rudolph, Joe Louis and Althea Gibson elected
- 30 Jun 1973 Burns & Schreiber Comedy Hour, TV Variety
- 01 Jul 1973 Jesus Christ Superstar closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 711 performances
- 02 Jul 1973 James R Schlesinger, ends term as 9th Director of CIA
- 03 Jul 1973 General Walters, serves as acting Director of CIA
- 04 Jul 1973 CARICOM - Caribbean Community and Common Market, forms
- 05 Jul 1973 Live & Let Die, James Bond film premieres
- 06 Jul 1973 St Andrew's Cathedral, Singapore is gazetted as a national monument.
- 07 Jul 1973 80th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Billie Jean King beats C Evert (60 75)
- 08 Jul 1973 Mary Lou Crocker wins LPGA MARC Equity Golf Classic Crocker
- 09 Jul 1973 9th Maccabiah games opens in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 10 Jul 1973 Bahamas declares Independence from the UK and adopts constitution
- 11 Jul 1973 Brazilian Boeing 707 crashes near Paris, 122 killed
- 12 Jul 1973 A fire destroys the entire 6th floor of the National Personnel Records Center of the United States.
- 13 Jul 1973 Alexander Butterfield reveals the existence of the Nixon tapes to the special Senate committee investigating the Watergate break in.
- 14 Jul 1973 102nd British Golf Open: Tom Weiskopf shoots a 276 at Royal Troon
- 15 Jul 1973 Carole Jo Skala wins LPGA George Washington Golf Classic
- 16 Jul 1973 During Watergate hearings, Butterfield reveals existence of tapes.
- 17 Jul 1973 Military coup in Afghanistan; King Mohammad Zahir Shah flees
- 19 Jul 1973 Willie Mays named to National League all star team for 24th time (ties Stan Musial).
- 20 Jul 1973 Jack Brisco beats Harley Race in Houston, to become NWA champ
- 21 Jul 1973 France performs nuclear Test at Muruora Atoll un the Pacific
- 23 Jul 1973 President Nixon refuses to release Watergate tapes of conversations in the White House relevant to the Watergate investigation
- 24 Jul 1973 44th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 7-1 at Royals Stadium, KC
- 25 Jul 1973 USSR launches Mars 5
- 26 Jul 1973 Peter Shaffers Equus, premieres in London
- 27 Jul 1973 40th NFL Chicago All Star Game: Miami 14, All Stars 3 (54,103)
- 29 Jul 1973 $180,000 in Led Zeppelin receipts are robbed from New York Hilton
- 30 Jul 1973 Texas Rangers' Jim Bibby no-hits Oakland Athletics, 6-0.
- 31 Jul 1973 Delta Airlines DC-9 crashes in fog at Logan Airport, Boston, killing all but one of 89 aboard. Lone survivor dies 6 months later
- 01 Aug 1973 H J Witteveen appointed as Director of IMF
- 02 Aug 1973 George Brett gets his 1st hit
- 03 Aug 1973 Flash fire kills 51 at amusement park (Isle of Man, United Kingdom).
- 05 Aug 1973 Arab terrorists open fire at Athens airport, kills 3 injures 55
- 06 Aug 1973 Roberto Clemente and Warren Spahn inducted into Hall of Fame
- 08 Aug 1973 VP Spiro T Agnew says reports he took kickbacks are damned lies from government contracts in Maryland. He vowed not to resign (Right!)
- 09 Aug 1973 Henry McCullough and Denny Seiwell quit Wings
- 10 Aug 1973 1st BART train travels thru transbay tube to Montgomery St. Station
- 12 Aug 1973 55th PGA Championship: Jack Nicklaus shoots a 277 at Canterbury - Cleveland
- 14 Aug 1973 US ends secret bombing of Cambodia
- 15 Aug 1973 Black September group kills three, wounds 55 in Athens, Greece.
- 17 Aug 1973 Willie Mays hits 660th and last HR (off Don Gullett of Cincinnati)
- 18 Aug 1973 Gene Krupa, drummer, plays for final time with Benny Goodman Quartet
- 19 Aug 1973 Kris Kristofferson weds Rita Coolidge
- 22 Aug 1973 Chilean parliament accuses President Allende violating laws
- 23 Aug 1973 The Norrmalmstorg robbery occurs, famous for the origin of the term Stockholm syndrome.
- 24 Aug 1973 John Adams and his drum - become a right-field fixture in Cleveland Stadium
- 25 Aug 1973 Butch Trucks drummer of Allman Brothers, breaks leg in a car crash
- 26 Aug 1973 10-year-old Mary Boitano is 1st woman to win 6.8-mile Dipsea Race in Marin County, CA, beating a field of 1,500 runners
- 28 Aug 1973 Monster Mash goes gold
- 30 Aug 1973 Danny Seiwell quits Wings
- 31 Aug 1973 1st heavyweight championship fight in Japan (Foreman beats Roman)
- 01 Sep 1973 George Foreman knocks out Jose Roman in the first round to retain heavyweight title in Japan.
- 02 Sep 1973 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Charity Golf Classic
- 03 Sep 1973 General Walters, ends term as acting Director of CIA
- 04 Sep 1973 William E Colby, becomes 10th Director of CIA
- 05 Sep 1973 Desert Song opens at Uris Theater NYC for 15 performances
- 06 Sep 1973 New York Times reports almost all Superfecta harness racing run at Yonkers, Roosevelt and Monticello from January to March of 1973 were fixed.
- 07 Sep 1973 Jackie Stewart becomes Formula 1 world champion
- 08 Sep 1973 87th US Womens Tennis: M S Court beats E Goolagong Cawley (76 57 62)
- 09 Sep 1973 93rd US Mens Tennis: John Newcombe beats Jan Kodes (64 16 46 62 62)
- 10 Sep 1973 Muhammad Ali defeats Ken Norton.
- 12 Sep 1973 Two bettors win the largest US Daily Double (US$19,909.60 in Detroit, Michigan).
- 13 Sep 1973 Syrian / Israeli dogfight over Mediterranean Sea
- 14 Sep 1973 Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s
- 15 Sep 1973 Star Trek-Animated premieres on TV
- 16 Sep 1973 Desert Song closes at Uris Theater NYC after 15 performances
- 18 Sep 1973 German FR and German DR admitted to UN
- 19 Sep 1973 Carl XVI Gustaf, becomes King of Sweden
- 20 Sep 1973 Willie Mays announces retirement at end of 1973 season.
- 21 Sep 1973 Jackson Pollocks painting Blue Poles sold for $2,000,000
- 22 Sep 1973 Little Night Music opens at Majestic Theater on Broadway
- 23 Sep 1973 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Portland Ladies Golf Open
- 24 Sep 1973 Guinea-Bissau declares its independence from Portugal.
- 25 Sep 1973 Mets beat Expos 2-1 on Willie Mays Night at Shea Stadium
- 26 Sep 1973 Wilt Chamberlain signs with ABA San Diego Conquistadors.
- 27 Sep 1973 Nolan Ryan strikes out 16 in 11 innings, for record 383 of season
- 28 Sep 1973 Palestinian Terrorists hijack Austrian train
- 29 Sep 1973 Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne by Looking Glass peaks at #33
- 30 Sep 1973 4th NYC Marathon won by Tom Fleming in 2:21:54
- 01 Oct 1973 USSR-West Germany gas tunnel opens
- 03 Oct 1973 Willi Stoph succeeds Walter Ulbricht as East German party leader
- 04 Oct 1973 Hans of Manens ballet Adagio Hammerklavier premieres in Amsterdam
- 05 Oct 1973 Signature of the European Patent Convention.
- 06 Oct 1973 Yom Kippur War begins as Syria and Egypt attack Israel
- 07 Oct 1973 Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Lincoln-Mercury Golf Open
- 08 Oct 1973 Spyris Markezinis forms government in Greece
- 09 Oct 1973 1st general striking in Luxembourg since 1942
- 10 Oct 1973 New York Mets beat Cin Reds in Game 5 of the NLCS
- 11 Oct 1973 Oakland beats Baltimore 3 games to 2 to win AL pennant
- 12 Oct 1973 Israeli counter offensive in southern Syria
- 13 Oct 1973 Jordan enters Yom Kippur war
- 14 Oct 1973 Egyptian tanks move further into Israel
- 15 Oct 1973 7th Country Music Association Award: Roy Clark wins
- 16 Oct 1973 Israeli tanks under General Sharon move through Suez Canal
- 17 Oct 1973 Arabs decrease oil production
- 18 Oct 1973 Raisin opens at 46th St. Theater NYC for 847 performances
- 19 Oct 1973 Ringo releases Photograph
- 20 Oct 1973 Canadian actor William Shatner (Star Trek) marries Marcy Lafferty
- 21 Oct 1973 Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Waco Tribune Herald Ladies Golf Classic
- 22 Oct 1973 Israeli troops reconquer mountain Hermon
- 23 Oct 1973 Yankee GM and President Lee MacPhail named AL President
- 24 Oct 1973 John Lennon sues US government to admit FBI is tapping his phone
- 25 Oct 1973 Cubs trade Ferguson Jenkins to Rangers for Bill Madlock and Vic Harris
- 26 Oct 1973 Israeli forces reach Suez, trapping Egyptian army
- 27 Oct 1973 1st time Islanders beat Rangers-3-2
- 28 Oct 1973 Sharon Miller wins LPGA Corpus Christi Civitan Golf Open
- 30 Oct 1973 The Bosporus Bridge in Istanbul, Turkey is completed, connecting the continents of Europe and Asia over the Bosporus for the first time.
- 31 Oct 1973 Tom Seaver wins NL Cy Young Award
- 01 Nov 1973 Molly opens at Alvin Theater NYC for 68 performances
- 02 Nov 1973 Barbra Streisand ...and Other Musical Instruments airs on CBS TV
- 03 Nov 1973 Good Morning America premieres on ABC (David Hartman and Nancy Dussault)
- 04 Nov 1973 1000s commemorates former Premier Georgios Papandreou
- 05 Nov 1973 BART starts SF-Daly City train shuttle service
- 06 Nov 1973 Man With the Golden Girl begins shooting
- 07 Nov 1973 US and Egypt announce restoration of full diplomatic links
- 08 Nov 1973 Nevada approves pari-mutuel betting on Jai Alai.
- 09 Nov 1973 Government De Uyl decides Palestijnse fugitives to support
- 11 Nov 1973 Egypt and Israel sign a United States-sponsored cease-fire accord.
- 13 Nov 1973 Gigi opens at Uris Theater NYC for 103 performances
- 14 Nov 1973 Good Evening opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 438 performances
- 15 Nov 1973 Egypt and Israel exchange prisoners of war
- 16 Nov 1973 John Lennon releases Mind Games album
- 17 Nov 1973 Greek regime attacks students with tanks, 100s killed
- 18 Nov 1973 Greek regime calls emergency crisis due to mass protests
- 21 Nov 1973 Pete Rose wins NL MVP
- 22 Nov 1973 The Italian Fascist organization Ordine Nuovo is disbanded.
- 24 Nov 1973 Miss Teenage America Pageant
- 25 Nov 1973 3 Palestinians hijack KLM B747 above Iraq, to Dubai
- 26 Nov 1973 US President Richard Nixon's personal secretary, Rose Mary Woods, tells a federal court she accidentally caused part of 18-minute gap in a key Watergate tape.
- 27 Nov 1973 Gary Matthews wins NL Rookie of Year
- 28 Nov 1973 Arab League summit in Algiers recognizes Palestine
- 29 Nov 1973 US President signs Hobby Protection Act into law as Public Law 93-167.
- 30 Nov 1973 M T Ghani scores 104 on FC debut for Commerce Bank (Pak) age 44
- 01 Dec 1973 Jack Nicklaus becomes first golfer to earn $2 million in a year.
- 02 Dec 1973 Capital Centre (USAir Arena) in Washington DC opens
- 03 Dec 1973 Pioneer 10 passes Jupiter (1st fly-by of an outer planet) [Dec 4-GMT]
- 04 Dec 1973 Pioneer 10 reaches Jupiter
- 05 Dec 1973 Paul McCartney releases Band on the Run album
- 06 Dec 1973 Gerald Ford sworn-in as first unelected US Vice-President, succeeds Spiro T Agnew.
- 07 Dec 1973 Orioles sell pitcher Eddie Watt to the Phillies
- 08 Dec 1973 Seesaw closes at Uris Theater NYC after 296 performances
- 09 Dec 1973 Pajama Game opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater NYC for 65 performances
- 11 Dec 1973 NA Soccer League awards LA, SF, Seattle and Vancouver franchises
- 12 Dec 1973 Canada begins selling Olympic coins ($5 and $10 silver coins).
- 13 Dec 1973 MPLA / FNLA accord about combat against Portuguese Libya
- 15 Dec 1973 Golf Resort (Disney Inn) opens
- 16 Dec 1973 US kidnap victem Paul Getty III freed
- 17 Dec 1973 Terrorism: 30 passengers are killed in an attack by Palestinian terrorists on Rome's Leonardo da Vinci Airport.
- 18 Dec 1973 Soyuz 13 launched into Earth orbit for 8 days.
- 19 Dec 1973 Molly closes at Alvin Theater NYC after 68 performances
- 20 Dec 1973 Montreal Canadiens' Henri Richard scores his 1,000th NHL point.
- 21 Dec 1973 Israel, Egypt, Syria, Jordan, US and USSR meet in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 23 Dec 1973 Young and the Restless premieres on TV
- 24 Dec 1973 In New Mexico, USA, a magnitude 4.1 earthquake occurs.
- 25 Dec 1973 The ARPANET crashes when a programming bug causes all ARPANET traffic to be routed through the server at Harvard University, causing the server to freeze.
- 26 Dec 1973 Exorcist, starring Linda Blair and rated X, premieres
- 27 Dec 1973 LA Dodgers announce night games will start at 7:30 instead of 8
- 28 Dec 1973 Alexander Solzhenitsyn publishes Gulag Archipelag
- 30 Dec 1973 1st picture of a comet from space (Comet Kohoutek-Skylab)
- 31 Dec 1973 40th Sugar Bowl: Notre Dame 24 beats Alabama 23.