The nineties is the decade of the birth of the millennial generation. Cut from a different fabric than the other generations; the events of the era were nonetheless revolutionary.
Experts versed in the history of the period contributed professionally to the main events of 1991.The internet was a solution found to provide an alternative communication channel, first thought about in the cold war era. After the Soviets had launched the Sputnik into space, the Americans saw it as a threat and considered what would happen if the Soviets launched a missile to cripple communication largely dependent on telephone lines for long distance communication. In 1962, M.I.T and Apra scientist J. C. R. Licklider proposed a kind of galactic network that did not rely on phone lines.
The internet went through various stages of development until the birth of the World Wide Web in 1991, a platform that held information that is accessible from any computer in the world.
On 25 August, German racer, Michael Schumacher begun his journey to being the best driver in Formula 1 for all time. He made his debut racing with Irish businessperson Eddie Jordan’s team. Schumacher retired from the Grand Prix after the first lap with mechanical problems. From that first race, he had caught the attention of the Benetton racing team, and he signed with them a five-year racing contract. Schumacher retired from racing in 2006 aged 37. He has seven Grand Prix race wins to his name with 91 wins, the highest in history.
A few days before Christmas in 1991, representatives from the 11 Soviet states met in the city of Alma-Ata in Kazakhstan and voted unanimously to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. The then president of the USSR Mikhail Gorbachev had introduced and implemented radical policies, which lacked favor with the union states in his six years as the Soviet president. Mikhail, clearly disappointed by the dissolution of his nation, resigned on December 25, 1991. Mikhail Gorbachev won the 1990 Nobel Peace Prize.
With revolutionary platforms like the worldwide web launched, opportunities became easily accessible. The year 1991 saw the end of the cold war bringing in the musical genius of boy bands.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 64th edition of the Oscar ceremony
The Silence of the Lambs
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1991?
Which were the most popular books released in 1991 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1991
- Aung San Suu Kyi
- Nadine Gordimer
- Pierre-Gilles de Gennes
- Ronald Coase
- Richard R. Ernst
Physiology or Medicine
- Erwin Neher
- Bert Sakmann
Which were the top hits of 1991?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
- Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up
- Extreme - More Than Words
- C & C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat
- Timmy T - One More Try
- EMF - Unbelievable
- Hi-Five - I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)
- Paula Abdul - Rush Rush
- Surface - The First Time
- Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves A Woman
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You
- Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)
- Salt-N-Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex
- Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
- Jason Donovan - Any Dream Will Do
- Oceanic - Insanity
- Heavy D & The Boyz - Now That We've Found Love
- The Simpsons - Do The Bartman
- The KLF featuring The Children Of The Revolution - 3AM Eternal
- 2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1991
- Total population: 5.4 billion (5,414,289,444 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.3 billion, that is 43.0% of the total population of 1991 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +86.8 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.63%
- Average density: 36.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1991?
- 01 Jan 1991 Les Miserables opens at Festival Theatre, Adelaide
- 02 Jan 1991 Colorado wins its first AP national title poll.
- 03 Jan 1991 Israel reopens consulate in the USSR after 23 years
- 04 Jan 1991 AT&T workers in Newark accidentally snap a cable
- 05 Jan 1991 Oh, Kay! closes at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC after 77 performances
- 06 Jan 1991 Gypsy closes at St. James Theater NYC after 477 performances
- 07 Jan 1991 Nia Peeples Party Machine premieres on TV
- 08 Jan 1991 Davis Rules, with Jonathan Winters and Randy Quaid premieres on ABC-TV
- 09 Jan 1991 Baker and Aziz meet in Geneva; talks fail to defuse gulf crisis
- 10 Jan 1991 Japan ends routine fingerprinting of all adult ethnic Koreans.
- 11 Jan 1991 Congress empowers Bush to order attack on Iraq
- 12 Jan 1991 Largest crowd to watch Atlantic Coast Womens Basketball game (11,520).
- 13 Jan 1991 42 killed in exhibition soccer match in Johannesburg South Africa
- 14 Jan 1991 Barbara DeAngelis Show premieres on CBS-TV
- 15 Jan 1991 Sean Lennon's remake of his father's "Give Peace A Chance" is released to coincide with the United Nation's midnight deadline for Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait. The lyrics were updated to reflect concerns of the 1990's.
- 16 Jan 1991 7th Soap Opera Digest Awards - Days of Our Live wins
- 17 Jan 1991 Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles on Israel
- 18 Jan 1991 Iraq launches SCUD missiles against Israel
- 19 Jan 1991 48th Golden Globes: Dances with Wolves.
- 20 Jan 1991 Black & Blue closes at Minskoff Theater NYC after 829 performances
- 21 Jan 1991 Richard Bolling, American politician (Representative-Democrat-Missouri)/US civil-rights leader, dies at age 74.
- 22 Jan 1991 Gulf War: Three SCUDs and one Patriot missile hit Ramat Gan in Israel, injuring 96 people. Three elderly people die of heart attacks.
- 23 Jan 1991 Seinfeld debuts on NBC-TV
- 24 Jan 1991 Les Miserables, opens at Theatre St. Denis, Montreal
- 25 Jan 1991 Manuel Noriega is given access to assets frozen by US government.
- 26 Jan 1991 Few Good Men closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 497 performances
- 27 Jan 1991 Dutch PSP, Pacifist Socialistic Party, disbands
- 28 Jan 1991 A Closer Look with Faith Daniels premieres on NBC-TV
- 29 Jan 1991 Piano Lesson closes at Walter Kerr Theater NYC after 320 performances
- 31 Jan 1991 Robert Gibson flies record 27,040 feet altitude
- 01 Feb 1991 Afghanistan / Pakistan hit by earthquake, 1,200 die
- 02 Feb 1991 Aravinda De Silva scores 267 versus New Zealand at Wellington.
- 03 Feb 1991 NFL Pro Bowl: AFC beats NFC 23-21.
- 04 Feb 1991 US postage raises from 25 cents to 29 cents
- 05 Feb 1991 Joni Mitchell inducted into the Canadian Hall of Fame.
- 06 Feb 1991 Mousey Davis becomes the first coach of the New York-New Jersey Knights.
- 07 Feb 1991 Haiti's first democratically-elected president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, is sworn in.
- 09 Feb 1991 This Is Ponderous by 2nu peaks at #46
- 10 Feb 1991 Lithuania votes for independence from USSR
- 12 Feb 1991 North and South Korea form a joint team for table tennis competition.
- 13 Feb 1991 US bombs Iraqi air raid shelter, killing 334
- 14 Feb 1991 Mule Bone opens at Ethel Barrymore Theater NYC for 67 performances
- 15 Feb 1991 Troy State sets NCAA Division II record with 103 points in second half routing DeVry Institute 187-117.
- 16 Feb 1991 Dutch PPR, Political Party Radicals, disbands.
- 17 Feb 1991 US male Figure Skating championship won by Todd Eldredge.
- 18 Feb 1991 Edmonton Oilers' goalie Grant Fuhr returns to NHL after season-long suspension for substance abuse and shuts out New Jersey Devils 4-0.
- 20 Feb 1991 Taking Steps opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 78 performances
- 21 Feb 1991 Lost in Yonkers opens at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC for 780 performances
- 22 Feb 1991 Actor Bill Bixby (57) weds Laura Michael (32).
- 23 Feb 1991 Military coup in Thailand, Premier Choonhaven arrested
- 24 Feb 1991 Those Were The Days closes at Edison Theater NYC after 126 performances
- 25 Feb 1991 US, barracks in Dhahran Saudi Arabia, hit by scud missile, kills 28
- 26 Feb 1991 Kuwaiti resistance leaders declare they have control of their capital.
- 27 Feb 1991 Gulf War ends after Iraqi troops retreated and Kuwait is liberated
- 28 Feb 1991 Les Miserables opens at Theatre Carre, Amsterdam
- 01 Mar 1991 Clayton Keith Yeutter ends term as the United States Secretary of Agriculture.
- 02 Mar 1991 Aspects of Love closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 377 performances
- 03 Mar 1991 Big Love opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 41 performances
- 04 Mar 1991 Iraq releases six US, three British, and one Italian prisoners-of-war.
- 05 Mar 1991 Reggie Miller (Indiana) begins NBA free throw streak of 52 games
- 06 Mar 1991 Following Iraq's capitulation in the Persian Gulf conflict, President George H.W. Bush tells US Congress that "aggression is defeated; the war is over".
- 07 Mar 1991 Iraq continues to explode oil fields in Kuwait.
- 08 Mar 1991 Harry Hamlin and Nicollette Sheridan wed
- 09 Mar 1991 Les Miserables, opens at Lyric Theatre, Brisbane
- 10 Mar 1991 Eddie Sutton is first NCAA coach to lead four schools into playoffs.
- 11 Mar 1991 Janet Jackson signs US$40 million three-album deal with Virgin Records.
- 12 Mar 1991 5th Soul Train Music Awards
- 13 Mar 1991 Exxon pays $1-billion dollars in fines and cleanup of Valdez oil spill
- 14 Mar 1991 British Court of Appeal frees Birmingham 6 who had been unjustly sentenced in August 1975 to life imprisonment
- 15 Mar 1991 4 LA police are charged with beating Rodney King
- 16 Mar 1991 7 of Reba McEntire band members are killed in a plane crash
- 17 Mar 1991 9 of 15 Soviet reps officially approve new union treaty
- 18 Mar 1991 Mike Tyson beats Razor Ruddock in the 7th round.
- 19 Mar 1991 NFL owners strip Phoenix Cardinals of 1993 Super Bowl game due to Arizona not recognizing Martin Luther King Day.
- 20 Mar 1991 Court awards Peggy Lee $3 million in contract violation suit against Walt Disney Company.
- 21 Mar 1991 27 lost at sea when two US Navy anti-submarine planes collide.
- 22 Mar 1991 New York Daily News begins using motto "Forward with New York".
- 23 Mar 1991 Sergei Bubka pole vaults world record indoor (6.12 metre).
- 24 Mar 1991 New York Yankees beat the New York Mets, 9-3
- 25 Mar 1991 63rd Academy Awards: Dance with Wolves, Jeremy Irons and Kathy Bates win.
- 26 Mar 1991 Victoria beats New South Wales by 7 wickets to win Sheffield Shield Final.
- 27 Mar 1991 New Kid Donnie Wahlberg, arrested on arson charges in Kentucky
- 30 Mar 1991 Speed of Darkness closes at Belasco Theater NYC after 36 performances
- 31 Mar 1991 Danny Bonaduce attacks a transvestite prostitute in Phoenix, Arizona
- 01 Apr 1991 Warsaw Pact officially dissolves
- 02 Apr 1991 Rotterdam Daily Newspaper begins publishing
- 03 Apr 1991 12th Emmy Sports Award presentation
- 04 Apr 1991 H. John Heinz III, American politician (Senator-Republican-Pennsylvania), dies in a plane crash, at age 52 (born 1938). Six others are also killed when a helicopter collides with their plane over Merion, Pennsylvania.
- 05 Apr 1991 Kitty Kelly publishes a book knocking Nancy Reagan
- 06 Apr 1991 Former child actor Adam Rich arrested for breaking into a pharmacy
- 07 Apr 1991 Big Love closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 41 performances
- 08 Apr 1991 I Hate Hamlet opens at Walter Kerr Theater NYC for 88 performances
- 09 Apr 1991 Georgia SSR votes to secede from USSR
- 10 Apr 1991 Boat rams a tanker in Livorno Italy fog, killing about 138
- 11 Apr 1991 Miss Saigon, opens at Broadway Theater, New York City
- 12 Apr 1991 2,500th episode of Entertainment Tonight airs on US TV.
- 13 Apr 1991 BPAA US Open won by Pete Weber.
- 14 Apr 1991 Mule Bone closes at Ethel Barrymore Theater NYC after 67 performances
- 15 Apr 1991 Secret Garden opens at St. James Theater NYC for 706 performances
- 17 Apr 1991 Railroad workers go on strike in the US.
- 18 Apr 1991 John Stockton breaks his own NBA season assist record at 1,136.
- 19 Apr 1991 Evander Holyfield beats George Foreman in 12 for heavywgt boxing title
- 20 Apr 1991 Les Miserables, opens at Odense Teater, Odense
- 21 Apr 1991 Greatest extra-inning comeback, Pittsburgh Pirates score 6 in bottom of 11th erasing 5 run Chicago Cubs lead, Pirates also trailed 7-2 in bottom of 9th.
- 22 Apr 1991 Earthquake strikes Costa Rica and Panama, kills 95
- 23 Apr 1991 USSR grants republics right to secede under certain conditions.
- 24 Apr 1991 26th Academy of Country Music Awards: Garth Brooks wins.
- 25 Apr 1991 Grand Hotel closes at Beck Theater NYC after 1018 performances
- 26 Apr 1991 Dinosaurs premieres on ABC-TV
- 27 Apr 1991 Firestone World Bowling Tournament of Champions won by David Ozio.
- 28 Apr 1991 Gypsy opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 105 performances
- 29 Apr 1991 Cyclone strikes Bangladesh, 139,000 die / 10 million homeless
- 30 Apr 1991 In Bangladesh a cyclone killed over 131,000 and left 9 million homeless
- 01 May 1991 Will Rogers Follies opens at Palace Theater NYC for 983 performances
- 03 May 1991 356th and final episode of CBS-TV's second-longest-running series Dallas, second only to Gunsmoke.
- 04 May 1991 Actress Sharon Gless and producer Barney Rosenzeig wed
- 05 May 1991 Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Sara Lee Golf Classic.
- 06 May 1991 Phillie Lenny Dykstra slams his sports car into 2 trees
- 08 May 1991 CIA director William H Webster resigns
- 09 May 1991 Italian actress Laura Antonelli found guilty of cocaine possession
- 12 May 1991 Hollis Stacy wins LPGA Crestar-Fresh Farm Golf Classic.
- 13 May 1991 Michael Jackson: Magic & Madness goes on sale
- 14 May 1991 Winnie Mandela sentenced to 6 years for complicity in kidnapping and beating of four youths, one of whom died, She is freed pending appeal
- 15 May 1991 President Bush takes Queen Elizabeth to Oakland Athletics-Baltimore Oriole game
- 16 May 1991 Daily Planet fires cub reporter Jimmy Olson (Superman character)
- 17 May 1991 Lupita Jones, 23, of MTxico, crowned 40th Miss Universe.
- 18 May 1991 117th Preakness: Jerry Bailey aboard Hansel wins in 1:54.
- 19 May 1991 Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story closes at Shubert NYC after 225 performances
- 20 May 1991 Soviet parliament approves law allowing citizens to travel abroad.
- 21 May 1991 Former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi is assassinated by a female suicide bomber near Madras.
- 22 May 1991 Inter Milan wins 20th UEFA Cup at Rome.
- 23 May 1991 San Diego Sockers win fourth consecutive Major Soccer League championship.
- 24 May 1991 Israel conducts Operation Solomon, evacuating Ethiopian Jews to Israel.
- 25 May 1991 People Are Still Having Sex, by LaTour hits #35
- 26 May 1991 Betsy King wins LPGA Corning Golf Classic.
- 27 May 1991 Austrian Boeing 767-300 explodes at Bangkok, 223 die
- 28 May 1991 Ethiopian rebels seize Addis Ababa.
- 29 May 1991 Les Miserables, opens at ACTEA Theatre, Auckland New Zealand
- 30 May 1991 64th US National Spelling Bee: Joanne Lagatta wins spelling "antipyretic".
- 31 May 1991 Oldest bride - Minnie Munro, 102, weds Dudley Reid, 83, in Australia.
- 01 Jun 1991 Mount Pinatubo (Philippines) erupts for 1st time in 600 years
- 02 Jun 1991 45th Tony Awards: Lost in Yonkers and Will Rogers Follies win
- 03 Jun 1991 New York Yankees selected 19-year-old Brien Taylor, #1 in amateur draft
- 04 Jun 1991 1st post WWII non-communist government in Albania
- 05 Jun 1991 Mikhail Gorbachev receives his 1990 Nobel Peace Prize
- 06 Jun 1991 Albert Belle is shipped to minors for not running out a ground ball
- 07 Jun 1991 Singer Jimmy Osmond weds Michelle Larson
- 08 Jun 1991 123rd Belmont: Jerry Bailey aboard Hansel wins in 2:28
- 09 Jun 1991 61st French Mens Tennis: Jim Courier beats A Agassi (36 64 26 61 64)
- 10 Jun 1991 Twin Peaks, on ABC-TV
- 11 Jun 1991 Microsoft releases MS DOS 5.0
- 12 Jun 1991 45th NBA Championship: Chicago Bulls beat LA Lakers, 4 games to 1
- 13 Jun 1991 A spectator is killed by lightning at US Open Golf tournament
- 14 Jun 1991 Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves opens
- 15 Jun 1991 Carolyn Tanny and Bob Trischel wed
- 16 Jun 1991 Fiddler on the Roof closes at Gershwin Theater NYC after 241 performances
- 17 Jun 1991 Country entertainer Minnie Pearl suffers a stroke at 78
- 18 Jun 1991 Boris Yeltsin, President of Russia, arrives in US
- 19 Jun 1991 Colombian drug baron Pablo Escobar surrenders to police
- 20 Jun 1991 The German parliament decides to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 21 Jun 1991 Eleanor Mondale marries Greg Thunder Malban (Minn DJ)
- 22 Jun 1991 I Hate Hamlet closes at Walter Kerr Theater NYC after 88 performances
- 23 Jun 1991 Odd Couple opens and closes at Belasco Theater, New York City
- 24 Jun 1991 NHL adopts instant-replay and tenth of second clock in final minute
- 25 Jun 1991 Martina Navratilova wins record 100th singles match at Wimbledon
- 26 Jun 1991 Getting Married opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 70 performances
- 27 Jun 1991 Emmy 18th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 12th time
- 28 Jun 1991 In Sierra Madre, California, a magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurs.
- 29 Jun 1991 Jackie Mason - Brand New closes at Neil Simon NYC after 216 performances
- 30 Jun 1991 37th Mazda LPGA Championship won by Meg Mallon
- 01 Jul 1991 The Warsaw Pact is officially dissolved at a meeting in Prague.
- 02 Jul 1991 Ten-Day War: Fighting breaks out when the Yugoslav People's Army attacks secessionists in Slovenia.
- 03 Jul 1991 Donald Trump gives Marla Maples a 7.45 karat diamond ring
- 04 Jul 1991 President of Colombia César Gaviria lifts a seven-year-long state of siege.
- 05 Jul 1991 Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins given final approval by owners
- 06 Jul 1991 98th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats G Sabatini (64 36 86)
- 07 Jul 1991 105th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Michael Stich beats B Becker (64 76 64)
- 08 Jul 1991 Major league umpire Steve Palermo and former NFL defensive lineman Terence Mann were shot trying to help 2 waitresses from being robbed
- 09 Jul 1991 Little Night Music opens at New York State Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 10 Jul 1991 The South African cricket team is readmitted into the International Cricket Council following the end of Apartheid.
- 11 Jul 1991 Calumet Farm, home to 8 Kentucky Derby winners, files bankruptcy
- 14 Jul 1991 Failed military coup in Mali
- 15 Jul 1991 US troops leave northern Iraq.
- 16 Jul 1991 President Gorbachev arrives in London to ask for western aid from the leaders of the G7.
- 17 Jul 1991 President Bush and President Gorbachev reach an agreement on START II, which is formally signed on July 31.
- 18 Jul 1991 Mike Tyson meets Miss Black America contestants
- 19 Jul 1991 Cal Ripken plays in his 1,500th consecutive game
- 20 Jul 1991 Kirk Cameron marries Growing Pains co-star Chelsea Noble in upstate New York
- 21 Jul 1991 120th British Golf Open: Ian Baker-Finch shoots 272 at Royal Birkdale
- 22 Jul 1991 Jeffrey Dahmer confesses to killing 17 males in 1978
- 23 Jul 1991 James Farentino of Dynasty arrested in Canada for cocaine possession
- 24 Jul 1991 Ottawa Rough Riders Board of Directors resign
- 25 Jul 1991 Howard Stern adds a 4th radio market (KLSX FM-97.1 Los Angeles)
- 26 Jul 1991 CFL assumes ownership of Ottawa Rough Riders
- 27 Jul 1991 Rocker Jani Lane, (Warrant-Cherry Pie) marries model Bobbie Brown
- 28 Jul 1991 Gypsy closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 105 performances
- 29 Jul 1991 Yankee Stadium fans throw cups and blowup dolls at Jose Canseco
- 30 Jul 1991 MTV announces it will split into 3 channels in 1993
- 31 Jul 1991 Russia and US sign long range nuclear weapons reduction pact
- 01 Aug 1991 Actress Hedy Lamarr, 77, arrested for shoplifting in Florida
- 02 Aug 1991 Funk singer Rick James, arrested on sexual torture charges
- 03 Aug 1991 Giant Victory, driven by Jack Moiseyev, wins Hambletonian
- 04 Aug 1991 1st time Seattle Mariners are 9 games over .500
- 06 Aug 1991 Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 07 Aug 1991 Darrin Lewis hits his 1st major league HR
- 08 Aug 1991 Billy Preston charged with exhibiting porno to a minor
- 10 Aug 1991 Little Night Music closes at New York State NYC after 7 performances
- 11 Aug 1991 400,000 demonstrate for democracy in Madagascar, 31 killed
- 12 Aug 1991 Creditors vote to support Greyhound Bus reorganization plan.
- 13 Aug 1991 Michael Ray Barrowman swims world record 200m breaststroke (2:10.60)
- 14 Aug 1991 Twins Dave Winfield is 23rd to hit 400 HR
- 15 Aug 1991 750,000 attend Paul Simon's free concert in Central Park, New York.
- 16 Aug 1991 Belgium census is 10,000,963 inhabitants
- 17 Aug 1991 West of Crescent City, California, a magnitude 7.1 earthquake occurs.
- 18 Aug 1991 Cindy Rarick wins LPGA Northgate Computer Golf Classic
- 19 Aug 1991 Janajev and KGB coup in Russia deposes Mikhail Gorbachev
- 20 Aug 1991 After the attempted coup in the Soviet Union, Estonia declares
- 21 Aug 1991 Communist coup is crushed in the USSR in 2 days
- 22 Aug 1991 Krizstina Egerszegi swims world record 100 m backstroke (1:00.31)
- 23 Aug 1991 The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (or quotSuper Nintendoquot) is released in the United States.
- 24 Aug 1991 Emmy Creative Arts Award presentation
- 25 Aug 1991 Getting Married closes at Circle in the Square Theater NYC after 70 performances
- 26 Aug 1991 Royal Brett Saberegen no-hits White Sox 7-0
- 27 Aug 1991 Moldavia declares independence from USSR
- 28 Aug 1991 Lexington Ave IRT subway train derails at Union Square, 5 die
- 29 Aug 1991 JFK Jr wins his 1st battle as an attorney
- 30 Aug 1991 Tamil Tigers capture Sri Lanka Poet Selvi
- 31 Aug 1991 Houston QB David Klingler sets NCAA record with 6 touchdown passes in the 2nd quarter as the Cougars clobbered Louisiana Tech 73-3
- 01 Sep 1991 Hiromi Taniguchi wins 3rd world championship marathon (2:14:57)
- 02 Sep 1991 Pat Bradley wins LPGA Rail Charity Golf Classic
- 03 Sep 1991 Dottie West, American country music singer, dies at age 58 in a car crash (born 1932).
- 04 Sep 1991 Most Happy Fella opens at New York State Theater, New York City
- 05 Sep 1991 8th MTV Awards: REM
- 06 Sep 1991 33rd Walker Cup: US, 14-10
- 07 Sep 1991 105th US Womens Tennis: Monica Seles beats Martina Navratilova (76 61)
- 08 Sep 1991 111th US Mens Tennis: Stefan Edberg beats Jim Courier (62 64 60)
- 09 Sep 1991 Mike Tyson indicted for rape of Desiree Washington
- 10 Sep 1991 Yolanda Gail Devers runs US female record 100m hurdles (12.48 seconds)
- 11 Sep 1991 La Toya: Growing Up in The Jackson Family goes on sale
- 12 Sep 1991 Space shuttle STS 48 (Discovery 14) launched
- 13 Sep 1991 Joe Carter is 1st to have 3 consecutive 100-RBI seasons with 3 differ teams
- 14 Sep 1991 386 yards and scored 7 touchdowns as the Aztecs beat Pacific 55-34
- 15 Sep 1991 Party Machine with Nia Peeples final show
- 16 Sep 1991 Norm Charlton suspended for 7 days for intentionally hitting Steve Scioscia with a pitch
- 17 Sep 1991 UN admits Estonia, Latvia, Lithuiania, North and South Korea, Marshall Islands and Micronesia
- 18 Sep 1991 John Hart becomes general manager of Cleveland Indians
- 19 Sep 1991 Precious Bunny wins the 46th Little Brown Jug
- 20 Sep 1991 (to September 21) In Sandy, Utah several patients are held hostage and a nurse is killed in the Alta View Hospital hostage incident.
- 21 Sep 1991 Armenia votes on whether to remain in Soviet Union
- 22 Sep 1991 ABN and AMRO Dutch banks merge
- 23 Sep 1991 New York Islanders' Mike Bossy and Denis Potvin inducted into NHL Hall of Fame.
- 24 Sep 1991 Deion Sanders, left Braves July 31 to report to NFL Falcons, returns
- 25 Sep 1991 The Paramount at Madison Square Garden in New York City opens.
- 26 Sep 1991 Two-year experimental Biosphere 2 in Oracle, Arizona begins.
- 27 Sep 1991 Princesses premieres on CBS TV
- 28 Sep 1991 Commish, debuts on ABC-TV
- 29 Sep 1991 My Own Private Idaho premieres
- 30 Sep 1991 Rev Jean Betrand Aristide ousted as President of Haiti
- 01 Oct 1991 Howard Stern adds Baltimore to his radio network (WJFK-AM)
- 02 Oct 1991 Eric Lindros, refused to sign with Quebec Nordiques
- 03 Oct 1991 25th Country Music Association Award
- 04 Oct 1991 Delta Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
- 05 Oct 1991 Actor Ted Shackelford (Knots Landing) weds Annett Wolf
- 06 Oct 1991 Elizabeth Taylor weds for 8th time (Larry Fortensky)
- 07 Oct 1991 Child star Adam Rich arrested for stealing hypodermics
- 08 Oct 1991 Croatia votes to sever constitutional relations with Yugoslavia, making the country fully independent
- 09 Oct 1991 On Borrowed Time opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 99 performances
- 10 Oct 1991 US cuts all foreign aid to Haiti
- 11 Oct 1991 Anita Hill testifies Clarence Thomas sexually harrased her
- 12 Oct 1991 Boxer Hector Comacho arrested for driving while getting oral sex
- 13 Oct 1991 Actress Katey Segal suffers a miscarriage
- 14 Oct 1991 Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi wins Nobel Peace Prize
- 15 Oct 1991 Clarence Thomas is confirmed as Supreme Court Justice (52-48)
- 16 Oct 1991 US Supreme Court begins to hear Joseph Doherty case
- 17 Oct 1991 Angel Cordero is 3rd jockey to win 7,000 horse races
- 18 Oct 1991 Most Happy Fella closes at New York State Theater, New York City
- 19 Oct 1991 Longest NCAA football game (3:52) as RI beats Maine 52-30 (6 OTs)
- 20 Oct 1991 6.1-7.1 earthquake in Uttar Kashi, India, about 670 die
- 21 Oct 1991 24 die in a fire in Oakland, California
- 22 Oct 1991 General Motors announces nine-month fiscal loss of US$2.2 billion.
- 23 Oct 1991 Les Miserables, opens at Mogador Theatre, Paris
- 24 Oct 1991 Dancing at Lughnasa opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 421 performances
- 25 Oct 1991 Aaqib Javed takes 7-37 in 10 overs vs. India in cric 1-dayer at Sharjah
- 27 Oct 1991 Homecoming opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 49 performances
- 28 Oct 1991 November 4 ampndash The 1991 Perfect Storm strikes the northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada, causing over $200 million of damage and resulting in 12 direct fatalities.
- 29 Oct 1991 Buck Showalter replaces Stump Merrill as the New York Yankees' manager.
- 30 Oct 1991 Colombian government negotiate with M-19-guerrilla
- 31 Oct 1991 Palestinians attend US mideast peace talks in Madrid
- 01 Nov 1991 New Dutch Regulations Traffic rules and Traffic signs enforced
- 02 Nov 1991 Jermaine Jackson releases Word to the Badd!! anti Michael song
- 03 Nov 1991 22nd NYC Marathon won by Salvador Garcia of Mexico in 2:09:28
- 04 Nov 1991 Mid East peace conference ends in Madrid, Spain.
- 05 Nov 1991 Kiichi Miyazawa elected Premier of Japan
- 06 Nov 1991 Moscow Circus Cirk Valentin opens at Gershwin NYC for 32 performances
- 07 Nov 1991 Brigadoon opens at New York State Theater NYC for 12 performances
- 08 Nov 1991 Carol Burnette Show premieres on CBS-TV
- 10 Nov 1991 Bernie Kosar ends NFL record of 308 passes without an interception
- 12 Nov 1991 Full House 100th episode-twins are born
- 13 Nov 1991 Bomb attack on Aad Kosto, Dutch social dem party-asst Secretary of State
- 14 Nov 1991 Pittsburgh Steelers guard Terry Long loses his steroids appeal and is suspended without pay by NFL for 4 weeks
- 15 Nov 1991 Ricky Pierce (Seattle) begins NBA free throw streak of 75 game
- 17 Nov 1991 Brigadoon closes at New York State Theater NYC after 12 performances
- 18 Nov 1991 Moslem Shites release hostages Terry Waite and Thomas Sutherland
- 19 Nov 1991 Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken wins his 2nd AL MVP
- 20 Nov 1991 Atlanta Braves Terry Pendleton wins NL MVP
- 21 Nov 1991 Poetess Maria Elene Cruz Varela arrested in Cuba
- 22 Nov 1991 New York Knicks pay Patrick Ewing a record $18.8 million for 2 yr extension
- 23 Nov 1991 A day before he dies, Freddie Mercury, 45, confirms he has AIDS
- 24 Nov 1991 79th CFL Grey Cup: Toronto Argonauts defeats Calgary Stampeders, 36-21
- 25 Nov 1991 Bill Graham, rock concert promoter (Filmore), dies at age 60.
- 26 Nov 1991 Condoms are handed out to thousands of New York High School students
- 27 Nov 1991 Peter Pan opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 48 performances
- 28 Nov 1991 South Ossetia declares independence from Georgia.
- 30 Nov 1991 Rob Pilatus, 27, of Milli-Vanilli attempts suicide
- 01 Dec 1991 Moscow Circus Cirk Valentin closes at Gershwin NYC after 32 performances
- 02 Dec 1991 Bobby Bonilla signs record $29 million-5 year pact with the New York Mets.
- 03 Dec 1991 White House Chief of Staff John Sununu resigns.
- 04 Dec 1991 Judds final concert (Nashville)
- 05 Dec 1991 Catskills on Broadway opens at Lunt-Fontanne NYC for 452 performances
- 06 Dec 1991 Les Miserables opens at Circustheater, Scheveningen
- 07 Dec 1991 A J Kitt, American, wins World Skiing Cup.
- 08 Dec 1991 Homecoming closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 49 performances
- 09 Dec 1991 2nd Billboard Music Awards
- 10 Dec 1991 Crucible opens at Belasco Theater NYC for 32 performances
- 11 Dec 1991 William Kennedy Smith found not guilty of rape
- 12 Dec 1991 Maastricht Treaty signed to create a European Community.
- 13 Dec 1991 Ricky Pierce (Seattle SuperSonics) ends NBA free throw streak of 75 games.
- 14 Dec 1991 Ferry boat Salem Express sinks in Red Sea, 476 killed
- 15 Dec 1991 Nick & Nora closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 9 performances
- 16 Dec 1991 UN reverses ruling that Zionism is racism by 111-25 (13 abstain) vote
- 17 Dec 1991 Soap opera One Life To Live airs its 6,000th episode
- 18 Dec 1991 DeForest Kelly, (Dr McCoy on Star Trek) gets a star in Hollywood.
- 19 Dec 1991 6,000th episode of One Life To Live
- 20 Dec 1991 Paul Keating installed as Premier of Australia
- 21 Dec 1991 Soviet Union formally dissolves 11 of 12 Republics sign treaty forming Commonwealth of Independent States
- 22 Dec 1991 Armed opposition groups launch a military coup against President of Georgia Zviad Gamsakhurdia.
- 23 Dec 1991 New York Daily News publisher Kevin Maxwell resigns.
- 24 Dec 1991 Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as head of Soviet Union
- 25 Dec 1991 Last day of a washout Pakistan versus Sri Lanka at Gujranwala.
- 26 Dec 1991 The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union meets and formally dissolves the USSR.
- 27 Dec 1991 Carol Burnett Show last airs on CBS-TV
- 28 Dec 1991 Ted Turner is named Time magazine Man of the Year.
- 29 Dec 1991 12th United Negro College Fund
- 31 Dec 1991 CPN, Communist Party of the Netherlands, last day of existance