The 1990s were a time of growing technology, the fall of communism, and the world-wide rise of multiculturalism.
The year 1993, while fitting into many of these trends, possessed a flavor distinctly all its own. In this year, the world population reached just over 5.5 billion people and many new parents settled on the name Jessica.
The cinema saw some amazing debuts that year. Dinosaur lovers the world-over gained Jurassic Park, the tear-jerking Schindler’s List reached theaters, and Robin Williams launched onto the screen as the sassy Mrs Doubtfire.
For those who preferred books to movies, the libraries had plenty to offer. Stephen King’s Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Lowry’s The Giver were on practically everyone’s reading lists. Many people (some with less than great reputations) died that year: Audrey Hepburn, Thurgood Marshall, Andre the Giant, River Phoenix, drug-lord Pablo Escobar, and freedom-fighter Cesar Chavez. The birth of both Zayn Malik and Ariana Grande defined the chart-topping hints nearly twenty years later. Things did not end there.
Both Russia and the US saw drastic changes in leadership and an increase in their diplomatic cooperation; they both signed a treaty to reduce arms in 1993. Boris Yelsin took the helm in Russia while Bill Clinton replaced President George HW Bush in the United States. In another step towards peace, Russia finally pulled the last of its troops from Poland.
The USA made some changes as well. For the first time in US history, all 50 states observed Martin Luther King Day. This year also saw the DOW close at over 3500, the premiere of the X-Files, the end of Sears catalog department, and Nelson Mandela winning his Nobel Prize.
Stephen King and dinosaur lovers should look back on 1963 with a smile. Anyone who hates One Direction, might not be so grateful.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 66th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Tommy Lee Jones
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1993?
Which were the most popular books released in 1993 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1993
- Nelson Mandela
- F. W. de Klerk
- Toni Morrison
- Russell Alan Hulse
- Joseph Hooton Taylor Jr.
- Robert Fogel
- Douglass North
- Kary Mullis
- Michael Smith
Physiology or Medicine
- Richard J. Roberts
- Phillip Allen Sharp
Which were the top hits of 1993?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
- Shaggy - Oh Carolina
- Bitty McLean - It Keeps Rainin' (Tears From My Eyes)
- Ace Of Base - All That She Wants
- 2 Unlimited - No Limit
- Shabba Ranks - Mr Loverman
- Culture Beat - Mr Vain
- Haddaway - What Is Love
- Elton John & Kiki Dee - True Love
- Gabrielle - Dreams
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1993
- Total population: 5.6 billion (5,581,597,546 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.5 billion, that is 44.0% of the total population of 1993 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +82.5 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.5%
- Average density: 37.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1993?
- 01 Jan 1993 Czechoslovakia separates into Czech Republic (Bohemia) and Slovakia
- 02 Jan 1993 Gypsy Passion closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 55 performances
- 03 Jan 1993 Catskills on Broadway closes at Lunt-Fontanne NYC after 452 performances
- 04 Jan 1993 7th largest wrestling crowd (63,500 - Tokyo Dome)
- 05 Jan 1993 Price is Right model Janice Pennington sues CBS for show accident
- 06 Jan 1993 Bill Wyman announces he will leave Rolling Stones
- 07 Jan 1993 The Winter Consumer Electronics Show is held in Las Vegas, Nevada. 3DO announces a CD-based entertainment platform, developed by Electronic Arts, Time Warner, Matsushita, and Kleiner Perkins.
- 08 Jan 1993 Elvis Presley Commemorative Postage Stamp goes on sale
- 09 Jan 1993 Franziska van Almsick swims world record 100 metre free style (53.33).
- 10 Jan 1993 My Favorite Year closes at Vivian Beaumont NYC after 37 performances
- 11 Jan 1993 American independent presidential candidate Ross Perot publicly returns to politics.
- 12 Jan 1993 MTV hostess Martha Quinn marries longtime boyfriend Jordan Tarlow
- 13 Jan 1993 Super Bowl XXVII in Pasadena - Cowboys beat Bills
- 14 Jan 1993 Anna Christie opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 54 performances
- 15 Jan 1993 7.5 earthquake strikes Northern Japan, 2 die
- 17 Jan 1993 Russian Irina Privalova cycles world record 300m indoor (35.45 seconds).
- 18 Jan 1993 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is officially observed for the first time in all 50 states.
- 19 Jan 1993 STS-54 (Endeavour) lands
- 20 Jan 1993 Adm Studeman, serves as acting Director of CIA
- 21 Jan 1993 Nigerian singer Fela Kuti arrested on suspicion of murder
- 23 Jan 1993 50th Golden Globes: Scent of a Woman wins.
- 24 Jan 1993 14th annual star-athon $24,000,000
- 25 Jan 1993 Mir Aimal Kasi fires a rifle and kills two employees outside US Central Intelligence Agency headquarters in Langley, Virginia.
- 26 Jan 1993 West Indies defeats Australia by one run in fourth Test at Adelaide.
- 27 Jan 1993 DC-3 crashes in Kinshasa, killing 12.
- 31 Jan 1993 St Joan opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 49 performances
- 01 Feb 1993 New York Judge Sol Wachtler indicted for harassing Joy Silverman.
- 02 Feb 1993 Frito Lay pays court ordered $2,500,000 to Tom Wait for using his song
- 03 Feb 1993 Federal trial of four police officers charged with civil rights violations in videotaped beating of Rodney King begins in Los Angeles, California.
- 04 Feb 1993 Marge Schott suspended from baseball for 1 year due to racism
- 05 Feb 1993 U.S. President Bill Clinton signs the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- 06 Feb 1993 Riddick Bowe TKOs Michael Dokes in one round for heavyweight boxing title.
- 07 Feb 1993 Pebbles Flintstone and Bamm Bamm Rubble wed
- 08 Feb 1993 GM sues NBC, alleging that Dateline NBC program had rigged 2 car-truck crashes to show that 1973-87 GM pickups were prone to fires
- 09 Feb 1993 Army of opium king Khun Sa kills 60 in northeast Burma.
- 10 Feb 1993 Michael Jackson Talks To Oprah Winfrey airs on ABC-TV and draws an astounding 39.3 rating/56 share, 90 million people.
- 11 Feb 1993 Janet Reno is nominated by President Bill Clinton as U.S. Attorney General.
- 12 Feb 1993 Two-year-old James Bulger is abducted, tortured and murdered by two 10-year-old boys, Jon Venables and Robert Thompson. Both are later charged. See Murder of James Bulger.
- 13 Feb 1993 Merlene Ottey runs world record 200 metre indoor (21.87 seconds).
- 14 Feb 1993 Fire in Linxi department store in Tangshan China, kills 79.
- 15 Feb 1993 Bomb strike on mafia drug lords in Bogot, Colombia; kills 14
- 16 Feb 1993 Sharon Disney, adopted daughter of Walt and Lillian Disney, dies of complications from cancer.
- 17 Feb 1993 Haitian ferry boat capsize in storm, killing approximately 1,215 out of 1,500 passengers.
- 19 Feb 1993 Kenya Moore, 22, (Miss Michigan), crowned 42nd Miss USA.
- 20 Feb 1993 Lisa Walters wins LPGA Itoki Hawaiian Ladies Golf Open.
- 21 Feb 1993 43rd NBA All-Star Game: West beats East 135-132 (overtime) at Salt Lake City.
- 22 Feb 1993 Vinod Kambli scores 224 versus England at Bombay, 411 balls, 23 fours.
- 23 Feb 1993 India complete a 3-0 series drubbing of England.
- 24 Feb 1993 35th Grammy Awards: "Tears in Heaven" - Eric Clapton wins.
- 25 Feb 1993 Fool Moon opens at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC for 207 performances
- 26 Feb 1993 2nd tallest building in world, NYC World Trade Center bombed, 7 die
- 27 Feb 1993 PBA National Championship Won by Ron Palombi Jr
- 28 Feb 1993 Anna Christie closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 54 performances
- 01 Mar 1993 Authorities in Waco, Texas negotiate with Branch Davidians.
- 02 Mar 1993 Claudette Colbert, suffers a stroke at 89
- 03 Mar 1993 Howard Stern radio show premieres in Boston (WBCN 104.1 FM-evenings)
- 04 Mar 1993 Goodbye Girl opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 188 performances
- 05 Mar 1993 Boston Celtic Larry Bird undergoes backfusion surgery
- 07 Mar 1993 23rd Easter Seal Telethon raises
- 08 Mar 1993 Katharine Hepburn released from the hospital after exhaustion
- 09 Mar 1993 7th Soul Train Music Awards
- 11 Mar 1993 Janet Reno is confirmed by the United States Senate and sworn in the next day, becoming the first female Attorney General of the United States.
- 12 Mar 1993 317 killed by bomb attacks in Bombay
- 13 Mar 1993 The Great Blizzard of 1993 strikes the eastern U.S., bringing record snowfall and other severe weather all the way from Cuba to QuTbec; it is reported to have killed 184.
- 14 Mar 1993 Worlds Ladies Figure Skating Champ in Prague won by Oksana Baiul (UKR)
- 15 Mar 1993 Vinod Kambli scores 227 versus Zimbabwe, his second consecutive Test 200.
- 17 Mar 1993 86 killed by bomb attack in Calcutta, India.
- 18 Mar 1993 Sisters Rosensweig opens at Barrymore Theater NYC for 556 performances
- 19 Mar 1993 Ice Dance Championship at Prague won by M Usova and A Zhulin (RUS)
- 20 Mar 1993 IRA-bomb kills 3 year old in Warrington England
- 21 Mar 1993 South Africa White Wolves kill 5 year old black girl
- 22 Mar 1993 Intel introduces Pentium-processor (80586) 64 bits-60 MHz-100+ MIPS
- 23 Mar 1993 New York Knicks and Phoenix Suns get into a major brawl.
- 24 Mar 1993 Ezer Weizman elected President of Israel.
- 25 Mar 1993 Candida opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 45 performances
- 27 Mar 1993 Jiang Zemin is appointed President of the People's Republic of China.
- 28 Mar 1993 13th Golden Raspberry Awards: Shining Through wins.
- 29 Mar 1993 65th Academy Awards - Unforgiven, Al Pacino and Emma Thompson win
- 30 Mar 1993 Redwood Curtain opens at Brooks Atkinson Theater NYC for 40 performances
- 01 Apr 1993 Stephane Powers weds Patrick de la Chenais
- 02 Apr 1993 Venezuelan DC-10 crashes at Margarita, killing 10.
- 04 Apr 1993 At Camden Yards, Bill Clinton becomes the first U.S. president to throw the first pitch of the baseball season from the pitcher's mound.
- 05 Apr 1993 73,293 see Yankees beat Indians 9-1
- 06 Apr 1993 Florida Marlins first loss ever (4-2 to Los Angeles Dodgers).
- 07 Apr 1993 Dante Bichette hits the first Colorado Rockies homerun (Shea Stadium, New York).
- 08 Apr 1993 STS-56 (Discovery) launches into orbit.
- 09 Apr 1993 Colorado Rockies first home game and first victory, 11-4 over Montreal Expos.
- 10 Apr 1993 Pittsburgh Penguins win their NHL record 17 game winning streak.
- 11 Apr 1993 57th Golf Masters Championship: Bernhard Langer wins, shooting a 277.
- 13 Apr 1993 3 Men on a Horse opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 40 performances
- 14 Apr 1993 Branch Davidian cult leader David Koresh promises to surrender after completion of his Seven Seals manuscript.
- 16 Apr 1993 Jury reaches guilty verdict in Federal case against cop who beat Rodney King, but the verdict is not read until April 17th
- 17 Apr 1993 Police officers found guilty of violating Rodney Kings civil rights
- 18 Apr 1993 Beirut-hostage Terry Anderson marries Madeleine Bassil
- 19 Apr 1993 Branch Davidians in Waco Texas commit suicide after 51 day siege
- 20 Apr 1993 Uranus passes Neptune (this occurs once every 171 years).
- 21 Apr 1993 Wilder, Wilder, Wilder opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 30 performances
- 22 Apr 1993 Candid Camera creator Allen Funt suffers a stroke at 78
- 23 Apr 1993 Eritrea votes to secede from Ethiopia.
- 24 Apr 1993 ABC news analyst Jeff Greenfield weds Karen Gannett
- 25 Apr 1993 Blood Brothers opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 839 performances
- 26 Apr 1993 Shakespeare for My Father opens at Helen Hayes NYC for 266 performances
- 27 Apr 1993 Afghan Antonov AN-32 plane crashes at Tashqurgan, kills 76.
- 28 Apr 1993 Tango Passion opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 29 Apr 1993 In western Arizona, USA, a magnitude 5.3 earthquake occurs.
- 30 Apr 1993 David Waymer, NFL player (New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders), dies at age 34.
- 01 May 1993 Bomb attack on Sri Lankan President (26 die)
- 02 May 1993 Tango Passion closes at Longacre Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 03 May 1993 Kiss of the Spider Woman opens at Broadhurst NYC for 906 performances
- 04 May 1993 Angels in America-Millennium Approaches opens at Kerr for 367 performances
- 06 May 1993 STS-55 (Columbia) lands.
- 07 May 1993 South Africa agrees to multi-racial elections.
- 08 May 1993 Lennox Lewis beats Tony Tucker in 12 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 09 May 1993 Song of Jacob Zulu closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 53 performances
- 10 May 1993 Fire in clothing factory at Bangkok, kills 145
- 11 May 1993 Paramaribo Suriname TV studio destroyed by fire.
- 12 May 1993 Last broadcast of Knots landing on CBS
- 13 May 1993 6th annual business person run held in Wall Street
- 14 May 1993 William Randolph Hearst, US newspaper magnate (Pulitzer), dies at age 85.
- 15 May 1993 Jane Seymour and James Kesch, Marriage
- 16 May 1993 3 Men on a Horse closes at Lyceum Theater NYC after 40 performances
- 18 May 1993 Italian police arrest Mafia boss Benedetto "Nitto" Santapaola.
- 19 May 1993 Juventus wins 22th UEFA Cup at Torino.
- 20 May 1993 274th and final episode of Cheers on NBC TV.
- 21 May 1993 Opposition leader Xanana Gusmao of East-Timor sentenced to life.
- 22 May 1993 Riddick Bowe scores a technical knock-out on Jesse Ferguson in two rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
- 23 May 1993 Val Skinner wins LPGA Lady Keystone Golf Open.
- 24 May 1993 Kim Basinger files for bankruptcy to avoid paying $7.4M settlement
- 26 May 1993 Emmy 20th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 14th time
- 27 May 1993 Mafia bombs Uffizi-museum in Florence, kills 6
- 28 May 1993 200,000 demonstrate against mafia terror.
- 29 May 1993 Texas Rangers' player Jose Canseco pitches 8th inning in 15-1 loss to Boston Red Sox, he gives up three runs on two hits and three walks, and he damages his arm.
- 30 May 1993 Betsy King wins J C Penney / LPGA Skins Game Golf Tournament
- 31 May 1993 President Dobrica Cosic of little Yugoslavia flees
- 01 Jun 1993 Brooklyn New York begins recycling
- 03 Jun 1993 66th National Spelling Bee: Geoff Hooper wins spelling kamikaze
- 05 Jun 1993 125th Belmont: Julie Krone aboard Colonial Affair wins in 2:29.8
- 06 Jun 1993 47th Tony Awards: Angels in America and Kiss of the Spider Woman win
- 07 Jun 1993 27th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson and Vince Gill
- 08 Jun 1993 Premier Marc Bazin of Haiti resigns
- 09 Jun 1993 Japanese crown Prince Naruhito weds Masaka Owada
- 10 Jun 1993 She Loves Me opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 61 performances
- 11 Jun 1993 Jurassic Park opens, sets box office weekend record of $502 million
- 12 Jun 1993 Three Little Pigs by Green Jelly hits #17
- 13 Jun 1993 39th Mazda LPGA Championship won by Patty Sheehan
- 14 Jun 1993 Japanese space probe Sakigake passes Earth
- 18 Jun 1993 John Sculley steps down as CEO of Apple Computer, remaining as chairman. The board of directors names Michael Spindler as new CEO.
- 20 Jun 1993 47th NBA Championship: Chicago Bulls beat Phoenix Suns, 4 games to 2
- 21 Jun 1993 Camelot opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 56 performances
- 22 Jun 1993 New York Met Anthony Young ties record of 23rd straight lose
- 23 Jun 1993 Lindsay Wagner (Bionic Woman) files for divorce from Lawrence Mortorff
- 24 Jun 1993 Arab terror group plans bombing of Holland / Lincoln Tunnels caught
- 25 Jun 1993 New York Islander goalie Billy Smith elected to NHL Hall of Fame
- 26 Jun 1993 Late Night with David Letterman airs for last time on NBC-TV
- 27 Jun 1993 Falsettos closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 487 performances
- 28 Jun 1993 Carlton Fisk, 45, released by White Sox, as all time leader of most games caught and most HRs by a catcher
- 30 Jun 1993 Les Miserables, opens at Point Theatre, Dublin
- 01 Jul 1993 1 second is added to the clock
- 02 Jul 1993 Boat sinks at Bocaue Philippines, 325 die
- 03 Jul 1993 100th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats J Novotna (76 16 64)
- 04 Jul 1993 107th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Pete Sampras beats Courier (76 76 36 63)
- 05 Jul 1993 Richard Chelimo run world record 10 km (27:07.91)
- 06 Jul 1993 John F Kennedy Jr, gives notice of quitting as ADA in Manhattan
- 07 Jul 1993 Guntis Ulmanis elected President of Latvia
- 10 Jul 1993 Melchior Ndadaye becomes 1st Hutu Burundi President / Sylvie Kinigi, Prime Minister
- 11 Jul 1993 14th US Seniors Golf Open: Jack Nicklaus
- 12 Jul 1993 7.8 earthquake hits Hokkaido Japan, 160 killed
- 13 Jul 1993 64th All Star Baseball Game: AL wins 9-3 at Camden Yards, Baltimore
- 14 Jul 1993 Aeroflot starts non-stop flights between Moscow and New York
- 16 Jul 1993 President Lissouba calls emergency rule in Congo-Brazzaville
- 17 Jul 1993 Graeme Obree bicycles world record time, 51,596 km
- 18 Jul 1993 122nd British Golf Open: Greg Norman shoots a 267 at Royal St. George
- 19 Jul 1993 Glen Chapple (Lancs) scores fastest F-C century, 21 minutes
- 20 Jul 1993 Fire in the press box at Altanta Fulton County Stadium
- 21 Jul 1993 Angela Kennedy swims world record 50 m butterfly stroke (26.93)
- 22 Jul 1993 New York Yankee Don Mattingly hits his 200th HR
- 23 Jul 1993 British Aerospace 147 crash at Yinchuan, 55 killed
- 24 Jul 1993 Actor Richard Moll (Night Court) weds Susan Brown
- 25 Jul 1993 31st Tennis Federation Cup: Spain beats Australia in Frankfurt Germany (3-0)
- 26 Jul 1993 Boeing 737-500 crashes in South Korea, 66 killed
- 27 Jul 1993 Detroit Tiger Fryman hits for cycle but loses 12-7 to Yankees
- 28 Jul 1993 Mariner Ken Griffey Jr is 3rd to hit HRs in 8 straight games
- 29 Jul 1993 Cin Red pitcher Thomas Browning arrested for marijuana possession
- 31 Jul 1993 Allman Bros guitarist Dickey Betts arrested for shoving 2 cops
- 01 Aug 1993 In the Summer House opens at Beaumont Theater NYC for 25 performances
- 02 Aug 1993 Peter Angelos and William DeWitt purchase Orioles
- 04 Aug 1993 Angolese air force bombs Huambo
- 06 Aug 1993 Japan Hosokawa government begins
- 07 Aug 1993 Camelot closes at Gershwin Theater NYC after 56 performances
- 08 Aug 1993 California State senator Tom Hayden (54) weds actress Barbara Williams (40)
- 09 Aug 1993 The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan loses a 38-year hold on national leadership.
- 10 Aug 1993 Charlotte Anne Lopez, 16, of Vermont, crowned 11th Miss Teen USA
- 11 Aug 1993 Director Oliver Stone files for divorce from Elizabeth
- 12 Aug 1993 Pope John Paul II begins visit of US
- 13 Aug 1993 Blue Jay Rickey Henderson pays Turner Ward $25,000 for his #24
- 14 Aug 1993 Dr William Masters (78) weds college sweetheart Geraldine Oliver (76)
- 15 Aug 1993 Goodbye Girl closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 188 performances
- 17 Aug 1993 For the first time, the public is allowed inside Buckingham Palace.
- 18 Aug 1993 Historical Kapelbrug in Luzern Switz, destroyed by fire
- 19 Aug 1993 34th Walker Cup: US, 19-5
- 20 Aug 1993 Colin Jackson runs world record 110m hurdles (12.91)
- 21 Aug 1993 Lyricist Bernie Taupin weds Strephanie Haymes
- 22 Aug 1993 In the Summer House closes at Beaumont Theater NYC after 25 performances
- 23 Aug 1993 Fred McGriff and David Justice are 6th to hit back-to-back HRs twice in same game
- 24 Aug 1993 Mars Observer comes closest to Mars
- 27 Aug 1993 Yak-40 crashes in Tadzjikistan, 79 killed / 1 lives
- 28 Aug 1993 Dam breaks in Qinghai West China, 223 killed
- 29 Aug 1993 21st du Maurier Golf Classic: Brandie Burton
- 30 Aug 1993 150,000,000 millionth visitor to Eiffel Tower
- 31 Aug 1993 Minnesota Twins beat Cleveland Indians 5-4 in 22 innings
- 01 Sep 1993 White Liars / Black Comedy opens at Criterion NYC for 38 performances
- 02 Sep 1993 10th MTV Awards: Pearl Jam, En Vogue wins
- 04 Sep 1993 Jim Abbott pitches 4-0, no-hit win over Indians at Yankee Stadium
- 05 Sep 1993 Fool Moon closes at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC after 207 performances
- 06 Sep 1993 Helen Dobson wins LPGA State Farm Rail Golf Classic
- 07 Sep 1993 Brazil votes over importing monarchy
- 08 Sep 1993 Cheek Junxia wins world record ladies 10 km (29:31.78)
- 09 Sep 1993 Croupier of casino in Bristol England, shoots a 4, a record 8 times
- 10 Sep 1993 1,000 Boeing 747 jumbo plane produced
- 11 Sep 1993 107th US Womens Tennis: Steffi Graf beats Helena Sukova (63 63)
- 12 Sep 1993 113rd US Mens Tennis: Pete Sampras beats Cedric Pioline (64 64 63)
- 13 Sep 1993 Israeli Minister of Foreign Affairs Peres and PLO-Abu Mazen sign peace accord
- 15 Sep 1993 Liechtenstein Prince Hans-Adam II disbands parliament.
- 16 Sep 1993 Minn Twins Dave Winfield, is 19th to get 3,000 hits
- 17 Sep 1993 Last Russian troops leave Poland.
- 18 Sep 1993 Kimberly Clarice Aiken (SC), 18, crowned 67th Miss America 1994
- 19 Sep 1993 45th Emmy Awards: Seinfeld, Picket Fences and Ted Danson wins
- 21 Sep 1993 Ukraine government of Kutshma resigns
- 22 Sep 1993 Nolan Ryan, 46, pitches his last game
- 23 Sep 1993 Les Miserables, opens at Playhouse, Edinburgh
- 24 Sep 1993 1st Israeli killed by Islamics after PLO signs peace accord
- 26 Sep 1993 30th Ryder Cup: US beats Europe, 15-13 at The Belfry, England
- 27 Sep 1993 Actor Daniel Day Lewis pleads guilty to speeding charges
- 28 Sep 1993 Dennis Martinez is 7th to win 100 games in AL and NL
- 29 Sep 1993 Grace Under Fire, starring Brett Butler debuts on ABC-TV
- 30 Sep 1993 6.4 earthquake at Latur, India, 28,000 killed
- 01 Oct 1993 Lennox Lewis TKOs Frank Bruno in 7 for heavyweight boxing title
- 02 Oct 1993 Spike Lee weds Tonya Lewis
- 03 Oct 1993 White Liars / Black Comedy closes at Criterion NYC after 38 performances
- 04 Oct 1993 Russian Constitutional Crisis: In Moscow, tanks bombard the White House, a government building that housed the Russian parliament, while demonstrators against President Boris Yeltsin rally outside.
- 05 Oct 1993 Pope John Paul II publishes encyclical Veritatis splendor
- 06 Oct 1993 Sydney Australia Stock Market index above 2000, for 1st time
- 07 Oct 1993 Les Miserables, opens at Meralco Theatre, Philippines
- 08 Oct 1993 Howard Stern releases his 1st book Private Parts
- 10 Oct 1993 Browns Najee Mustafaa sets club rec for longest interception (97 yards)
- 11 Oct 1993 Norwegian Rushdie publisher William Nygaard injured in attack
- 12 Oct 1993 Mixed Emotions opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 48 performances
- 13 Oct 1993 Greek government of Papandreou forms
- 14 Oct 1993 Stack's auctions the Reed Hawn Collection; the Mickley specimen of the Class I US 1804 Draped Bust dollar sells for $475,000. The Reed Hawn US 1913 Liberty Head 5-cent coin sells for $875,000.
- 15 Oct 1993 Amstel brewery on Curacao produces 1,000,000,000th bottle
- 16 Oct 1993 General Omar al-Bashir appointed Sudan President
- 18 Oct 1993 STS-58 (Columbia) launches into orbit
- 19 Oct 1993 UN authorizes arms, milt and police supply embargo against Haiti
- 20 Oct 1993 Highest scoring World Series game Blue Jays 15, Phillies 14 in 4h14m
- 21 Oct 1993 Twilight of the Golds opens at Booth Theater NYC for 29 performances
- 22 Oct 1993 Actor James Coburn (65) weds Paula Murad (37)
- 23 Oct 1993 7 killed by IRA-bomb attack in Belfast
- 24 Oct 1993 Wonderful Tennessee opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 9 performances
- 25 Oct 1993 Airbus A310 of Air Nigeria hijacked, 1 dead
- 26 Oct 1993 NFL announces new expansion team, Carolina Panthers in Charlotte
- 27 Oct 1993 The Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas is imploded.
- 28 Oct 1993 Cleveland Metroparks lease Brookside Park from Cleveland for 99-years
- 29 Oct 1993 Dow Jones index reaches record 3687.86
- 30 Oct 1993 Toronto Maple Leafs lose 1st game of season after going 10-0-0
- 31 Oct 1993 Wonderful Tennessee closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 9 performances
- 01 Nov 1993 Atlantic Radio (20 radio stations) becomes American Radio Systems
- 02 Nov 1993 1st commemorative bricks are laid at Bob Feller Memorial
- 04 Nov 1993 Timon of Athens opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 37 performances
- 05 Nov 1993 1st NBA game in Alamodome, San Antonio Spurs beat Warriors 91-85
- 06 Nov 1993 Actor Howard Rollins arrested for drunk driving
- 07 Nov 1993 Betsy King wins LPGA Toray Japan Queens Cup Golf Tournament
- 09 Nov 1993 Cinderella opens at New York State Theater NYC for 14 performances
- 10 Nov 1993 Joseph & the Amazing opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 223 performances
- 11 Nov 1993 Pope John Paul II hospitalized for 2 days for fractured shoulder
- 12 Nov 1993 London Convention: Marine dumping of radioactive waste is outlawed.
- 13 Nov 1993 7.1 seaquake east of Kamchatka
- 14 Nov 1993 Kentucky Cycle opens at Royale Theater NYC for 34 performances
- 15 Nov 1993 Howard Stern radio show premieres in Myrtle Beach SC on WYAV 104.1 FM
- 16 Nov 1993 Any Given Day opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 32 performances
- 17 Nov 1993 Grand Night For Singing opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 52 performances
- 18 Nov 1993 27 killed at prison in Morazan, El Salvador
- 19 Nov 1993 Algerian Moslem fundamentalists uprising, 27 killed
- 20 Nov 1993 Jakovlev-42 crashes into mountain at Ohrid Macedonia, 116 killed
- 21 Nov 1993 Cinderella closes at New York State Theater NYC after 14 performances
- 22 Nov 1993 Laughter on the 23rd Floor opens at Richard Rodgers NYC for 320 performances
- 23 Nov 1993 Angels in America-Perestroika opens at Walter Kerr NYC for 216 performances
- 24 Nov 1993 Brady bill passes establishing 5-day waiting period for handgun sales
- 25 Nov 1993 Dutch Antilles government of Liberia-Peters falls
- 26 Nov 1993 Political campaigners James Carville (49) and Mary Matalin wed
- 27 Nov 1993 Lisa Hanna, 18, of Jamaica, crowned 43rd Miss World
- 28 Nov 1993 Mixed Emotions closes at John Golden Theater NYC after 48 performances
- 29 Nov 1993 Abe Lincoln in Illinois opens at Beaumont Theater NYC for 40 performances
- 30 Nov 1993 NFL announces 30th franchise - Jacksonville Jaguars
- 01 Dec 1993 Northwest Airlink plane crashes in Minnesota, killing 18.
- 02 Dec 1993 A Websters musical Sunset Promenade premieres in LA
- 04 Dec 1993 Dan Jansen skates world record 500 metre (35.92 seconds).
- 05 Dec 1993 Timon of Athens closes at Lyceum Theater NYC after 37 performances
- 06 Dec 1993 Gunda Niemann skates ladies world record 5 km 7 13.29.
- 07 Dec 1993 Robert Goulet undergoes prostate cancer surgery
- 08 Dec 1993 4th Billboard Music Awards
- 09 Dec 1993 My Fair Lady opens at Virginia Theater NYC for 165 performances
- 10 Dec 1993 Dow Jones hits record 3740.67
- 11 Dec 1993 59th Heisman Trophy Award: Charlie Ward, Florida State (quarterback).
- 12 Dec 1993 Any Given Day closes at Longacre Theater NYC after 32 performances
- 13 Dec 1993 Dow Jones hits record 3764.43
- 14 Dec 1993 Moslem fundamentalists murder 12 Kroates / Bosnians in Algeria
- 15 Dec 1993 British Premier Major / Irish Premier Reynolds signs Downing Street Declaration concerning Northern Ireland self determination
- 16 Dec 1993 Red Shoes opens at Gershwin Theater NYC for 5 performances
- 17 Dec 1993 Kevin Scott skates world record 1000 m (1:12.54)
- 18 Dec 1993 Kevin Scott skates world record 1000 metre (1:12.54).
- 19 Dec 1993 Red Shoes closes at Gershwin Theater NYC after 5 performances
- 20 Dec 1993 Donald Trump weds Marla Maples.
- 24 Dec 1993 Alexander Mackendrick, British/US director (Lady Killers, Whiskey Galore!), dies at age 81.
- 26 Dec 1993 Comedian Rodney Dangerfield (72) weds Joan Child (41)
- 27 Dec 1993 Candles, Snow, and Mistletoe opens at Palace Theater NYC for 7 performances
- 28 Dec 1993 Dow-Jones hits record 3793.49
- 29 Dec 1993 Courtney Love sues doctors for leaking news of her methadone treatment
- 30 Dec 1993 Candles, Snow, and Mistletoe closes at Palace NYC after 7 performances
- 31 Dec 1993 Barbra Striesand does her 1st live public concert in 20 years