The 1990’s were a boom period for much of the world, and in the middle of that decade – 1995 – the world saw developments that would change the way that people live.
In 1995, the US government stopped funding the Internet – it was completely privatized. Once privatization took place, companies like Prodigy and America Online (AOL) offered easy Internet access to the public for the first time in history. 1995 can be considered a landmark year for this development alone, as no one at the time could imagine how much it would change the world.
January 1995 saw the opening remarks for the OJ Simpson murder trial. Former American football player OJ Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife, Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ron Goldman, a friend of Nicole’s. It was called the “trial of the century” and truly became a cultural phenomenon. It was very highly publicized and there was a great deal of speculation regarding the guilt or innocence of Mr. Simpson, especially after the crimes he later committed after a verdict of “not guilty” at this trial.
In other developments in technology, Microsoft launched Windows 95 and WinPlay3, the first real-time MP3 player software, is announced to the world. In September of 1995, the DVD (digital video disk) is announced, marking the beginning of the end of the VHS (video home system).
1995 was the year that Pixar’s Toy Story was released. Not only did this launch a long-lasting movie franchise, it was also the first ever full-length computer animated feature film to be released in theatres. This was also the year that Star Trek: Voyager made its television debut and Mel Gibson’s Braveheart was released in movie theatres, sparking a renewed interest in Scottish culture and possible independence from the United Kingdom.
All Academy Awards Prize winners of the 68th edition of the Oscar ceremony
Best supporting actor
Best supporting actress
Time Person of the Year
Who was the person of the year of 1995?
Which were the most popular books released in 1995 ?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
All Nobel Prize winners of 1995
- Joseph Rotblat
- Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
- Seamus Heaney
- Martin Lewis Perl
- Frederick Reines
- Robert Lucas Jr.
- Paul J. Crutzen
- Mario J. Molina
- Frank Sherwood Rowland
Physiology or Medicine
- Edward B. Lewis
- Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard
- Eric F. Wieschaus
Which were the top hits of 1995?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #1 songs in the UK
- Robson Green & Jerome Flynn - Unchained Melody / White Cliffs Of Dover
- Celine Dion - Think Twice
- U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- Take That - Back For Good
- Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
- The Outhere Brothers - Boom Boom Boom
- Blur - Country House
- The Outhere Brothers - Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle)
- Perez 'Prez' Prado & His Orchestra - Guaglione
- Coolio featuring LV - Gangsta's Paradise
Which were the most popular Movies released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Demographic statistics of the year 1995
- Total population: 5.7 billion (5,744,212,979 to be precise!)
- Urban population: 2.6 billion, that is 45.0% of the total population of 1995 lives in cities
- Yearly change: +81.0 million, corresponding to a percentage increase of +1.43%
- Average density: 39.0 persons per km2
Which were the important events of 1995?
- 01 Jan 1995 Glass Menagerie closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 57 performances
- 02 Jan 1995 Carquest Bowl 5: South Carolina beats West Virginia, 24-21.
- 03 Jan 1995 Former Washington DC Mayor Marion Barry is re-elected to office after an absence of four years.
- 04 Jan 1995 Newt Gingrich (R) becomes speaker of the House
- 05 Jan 1995 AFC beats NFC 41-13 in the pro bowl
- 06 Jan 1995 A chemical fire in an apartment complex in Manila, Philippines, leads to the discovery of plans for Project Bojinka, a mass-terrorist attack.
- 07 Jan 1995 Christmas Carol closes at Richard Rodgers Theater NYC after 18 performances
- 08 Jan 1995 Guys & Dolls closes at Martin Beck Theater NYC after 1143 performances
- 09 Jan 1995 Worker accidentally cuts electrial wires at Newark Airport
- 10 Jan 1995 Late Late Show with Tom Snyder premieres on CBS in the USA at 12:30 AM.
- 11 Jan 1995 5th TV network (WB) Warner Brothers begins (WPIX-TV in NYC)
- 12 Jan 1995 Major earthquake kills 5,092 in Kobe, Japan.
- 14 Jan 1995 16th ACE Cable Awards: HBO wins 23 awards.
- 15 Jan 1995 San Francisco 49ers beat Dallas Cowboys for NFC championship.
- 16 Jan 1995 UPN (Universal-Parmount Network) begins telecasting (WWOR in NYC)
- 17 Jan 1995 Carousel closes at Beaumont Theater NYC after 322 performances
- 18 Jan 1995 Pope John Paul II begins visit to Australia.
- 19 Jan 1995 Jean-Claude Juncker (28) sworn in as premier of Luxembourg.
- 20 Jan 1995 Love! Valor! Compassion! opens at Walter Kerr NYC for 276 performances
- 21 Jan 1995 52th Golden Globes: Forrest Gump, Tom Hanks, Jessica Lange, Brad Pitt.
- 22 Jan 1995 Pat Bradley wins LPGA HealthSouth Inaugural Golf Tournament.
- 24 Jan 1995 Opening statements in the O. J. Simpson murder case trial in Los Angeles.
- 25 Jan 1995 Jacques Santer succeeds Jacques Delors as chairman of European Committee.
- 26 Jan 1995 New Jersey Governor Christine Whitman, dedicates a rest stop to Howard Stern
- 27 Jan 1995 69th Australian Womens Tennis: Mary Pierce beats A S Vicario (63 62)
- 28 Jan 1995 83rd Australian Open Men's Tennis: Andre Agassi beats Pete Sampras (4-6, 6-1, 7-6, 6-4).
- 29 Jan 1995 Andre Agassi defeats Pete Sampras to win Australian Open
- 30 Jan 1995 Kevin Eubanks officially becomes band leader of Tonight Show
- 31 Jan 1995 U.S. President Bill Clinton invokes emergency powers, to extend a $20 billion loan to help Mexico avert financial collapse.
- 01 Feb 1995 Amtrak New York-Tampa run ends.
- 02 Feb 1995 Moliere Comedies opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 56 performances
- 03 Feb 1995 STS 63 (Discovery 19), launches into orbit
- 04 Feb 1995 Sandra Volker swims female European record 50m backstroke (27.77)
- 05 Feb 1995 NFL Pro Bowl: AFC beats NFC 41-13.
- 06 Feb 1995 Beachboy Brian Wilson weds Melinda Ledbetter.
- 08 Feb 1995 6.4 earthquake at Trujillo, Colombia (46+ killed).
- 09 Feb 1995 Heiress opens at Cort Theater NYC for 340 performances
- 10 Feb 1995 Sun Cayun pole vaults female indoor world record (4.12m)
- 11 Feb 1995 Space shuttle STS-63 (Discovery 19), lands
- 12 Feb 1995 PRI loses / PAN wins Mexican regional elections
- 13 Feb 1995 West Indies beats New Zealand by innings and 332, Courtney Walsh 13-55.
- 14 Feb 1995 Roseanne weds bodyguard Ben Thomas
- 15 Feb 1995 Dow-Jones closes at record 3986.17
- 17 Feb 1995 11th Soap Opera Digest Awards
- 18 Feb 1995 Angela Kennedy swims world record 100 metre butterfly.
- 19 Feb 1995 1st broadcast of Woman of Independent Means on NBC-TV
- 21 Feb 1995 RAF-pilot Jo Salter is 1st woman to fly in a tornado
- 22 Feb 1995 Algiers police kill at least 99 prison rioters
- 23 Feb 1995 Uncle Vanya opens at Circle in the Square Theater NYC for 29 performances
- 24 Feb 1995 Dow-Jones hits record 4011.74
- 25 Feb 1995 PBA National Championship Won by Scott Alexander.
- 26 Feb 1995 London finance house of Barings collapse after losses in Singapore by trader Nick Leeson
- 27 Feb 1995 In Denver, Colorado, the old Stapleton Airport closes; it is replaced by a new Denver International Airport, the largest airport in the United States.
- 28 Feb 1995 Members of the group Patriot's Council are convicted in Minnesota of manufacturing ricin.
- 01 Mar 1995 Jozef Oleksy succeeds Waldemar Pawlak on as Premier of Poland
- 02 Mar 1995 Space shuttle STS-67 (Endeavour 8), launches
- 03 Mar 1995 Camilla Parker Bowles and her husband Andrew divorce.
- 04 Mar 1995 Replacement New York Yankees beat the New York Mets 2-1
- 05 Mar 1995 Graves of czar Nicholas and family found in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- 06 Mar 1995 American Express Travel begins charging for domestic air tickets
- 07 Mar 1995 Dollar worth 1.5330 Dutch guilder (record).
- 08 Mar 1995 Costis Stephanopoulos becomes President of Greece.
- 09 Mar 1995 Baseball awards a franchise to Tampa Bay Devil Rays
- 10 Mar 1995 Dow-Jones hits record 4035.64
- 11 Mar 1995 Sinn Fein party leader, Gerry Adams, arrives in US
- 12 Mar 1995 Ice Dance Championship at Birmingham UK won by Gritshuk and Platov (RUS)
- 13 Mar 1995 David Daliberti and William Barloon, two Americans working for a military contractor in Kuwait, are arrested after straying into Iraq.
- 14 Mar 1995 1st time 13 people in space
- 16 Mar 1995 Dow-Jones hits record 4069.15
- 17 Mar 1995 USt approves 1st chicken pox vaccine, Varivax by Merck and Company
- 18 Mar 1995 Michael Jordan announces he is ending his 17 month NBA retirement
- 19 Mar 1995 Translations opens at Plymouth Theater NYC for 25 performances
- 20 Mar 1995 Dow-Jones hits 4083.68 (record)
- 21 Mar 1995 New Jersey officially dedicates the Howard Stern Rest Area along Route 295
- 22 Mar 1995 Deputy Governor of Bank of England, Rupert Pennant-Rea, resigns following revelations of his affair with a freelance journalist.
- 23 Mar 1995 How To Succeed in Business... opens at R Rodgers NYC for 548 performances
- 25 Mar 1995 Boxer Mike Tyson released from jail after serving three years.
- 26 Mar 1995 Defending the Caveman, opens at Helen Hayes Theater NYC for 671 performances
- 27 Mar 1995 67th Academy Awards - Forest Gump, Jessica Lange and Tom Hanks win
- 28 Mar 1995 Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett split up.
- 29 Mar 1995 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Chicago IL on WCKG 105.9 FM
- 30 Mar 1995 Arcadia opens at Vivian Beaumont Theater NYC for 204 performances
- 31 Mar 1995 Federal judge orders injunction to end US baseball strike.
- 01 Apr 1995 Carlson Wagonlit Travel Agency begins charging $15 service fee
- 02 Apr 1995 Baseball season opener delayed until April 26
- 03 Apr 1995 Howard Stern gets in trouble for disparaging remarks about Selena
- 05 Apr 1995 The U.S. House of Representatives votes 246-188 to cut taxes for individuals and corporations.
- 06 Apr 1995 Having Our Say opens at Booth Theater NYC for 308 performances
- 07 Apr 1995 Baseball exhibition season begins late due to strike.
- 08 Apr 1995 Oliver McCall beats Larry Holmes in 12 for heavyweight boxing title.
- 09 Apr 1995 Translations closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 25 performances
- 10 Apr 1995 Gentlemen Prefer Blondes opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 24 performances
- 11 Apr 1995 Former United States Defense Secretary Robert MacNamara admits in his book that the Vietnam War was a terrible mistake.
- 12 Apr 1995 Young fascist give the Nazi salute at the funeral of Mussolini's daughter.
- 13 Apr 1995 Yankees beat the Mets 2-0
- 14 Apr 1995 Burl Ives, American folk singer/actor (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), dies at age 85 (born 1909).
- 16 Apr 1995 56th PGA Seniors Golf Championship: Ray Floyd wins.
- 17 Apr 1995 99th Boston Marathon won by Cosmas Ndeti of Kenya in 2:09:22.
- 18 Apr 1995 Houston Post newspaper folds after 116 years.
- 19 Apr 1995 Chopper 4 1st used on WNBC TV (NYC) news
- 21 Apr 1995 Boston Celtics final game at Boston Gardens, New York Knicks win 98-92.
- 22 Apr 1995 General Tire World Bowling Tournament of Champions won by Mike Aulby.
- 23 Apr 1995 Laura Davis wins LPGA Chick-fil-A Charity Golf Championship.
- 24 Apr 1995 Court orders Darryl Strawberry to pay back $350,000 in taxes
- 25 Apr 1995 Month in the Country opens at Roundabout Theater NYC for 79 performances
- 26 Apr 1995 American baseball season begins after lengthy strike.
- 27 Apr 1995 Indiscretions opens at Ethel Barrymore Theater NYC for 221 performances
- 28 Apr 1995 Sri Lankaan BAE748 plane crashes at Palaly, 52 die.
- 29 Apr 1995 Final TV broadcast of Empty Nest on NBC TV
- 30 Apr 1995 Blood Brothers closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 839 performances
- 01 May 1995 On the Waterfront opens at Atkinson Theater NYC for 8 performances
- 02 May 1995 Hamlet opens at Belasco Theater NYC for 121 performances
- 03 May 1995 My Thing of Love opens at Beck Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 05 May 1995 Last basketball game at Boston Gardens (Orlando Magic beats Boston Celtics).
- 06 May 1995 Classic Sports Network begins on cable TV.
- 07 May 1995 On the Waterfront closes at Atkinson Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 09 May 1995 Kinshasa, Zaire under quarantine after an outbreak of Ebola virus.
- 10 May 1995 Britain lifts a 23-year ban on ministerial talks with Sinn Fein.
- 11 May 1995 In New York City, more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 12 May 1995 Jose Mesa gets first of his Major League record 37 consecutive saves.
- 13 May 1995 6.5 earthquake hits Greece
- 14 May 1995 My Thing of Love closes at Beck Theater NYC after 16 performances
- 16 May 1995 Japanese police besiege the headquarters of Aum Shinrikyo near Mount Fuji and arrest cult leader Shoko Asahara.
- 17 May 1995 Shawn Nelson, 35, goes on a tank rampage in San Diego, California.
- 18 May 1995 WIBC Bowling Queens won by Sandra Postma.
- 19 May 1995 Emmy 22nd Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 15th time
- 20 May 1995 CBS News fires co-anchor Connie Chung.
- 21 May 1995 Chris Johnson wins Star Bank LPGA Golf Classic.
- 22 May 1995 Laverne and Shirley 20th anniversary reunionn special, televised
- 23 May 1995 47th time opposing pitchers hit HRS, K Foster (Cubs) / M Freeman (Rocks)
- 24 May 1995 AFC Ajax wins the UEFA Champions League at the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna by defeating A.C. Milan 0–1 by a goal of Patrick Kluivert. This was the third consecutive win of Ajax over Milan that season, ranking Ajax in the fourth place on the list of European Cup and UEFA Champions League winners.
- 26 May 1995 Microsoft chairman Bill Gates issues an internal memo "The Internet Tidal Wave", saying he believes the Internet to be the single most important development in the computer industry since the IBM Personal Computer. He gives the highest level of importance to the Internet, calling it "critical to every part of our business".
- 27 May 1995 The 7.0 M Neftegorsk earthquake shakes northern Sakhalin Island in Russia with a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent), leaving 1,989 people dead and 750 injured.
- 28 May 1995 Inspector Calls closes at Royale Theater NYC after 454 performances
- 01 Jun 1995 68th National Spelling Bee: Justin Tyler Carroll wins spelling xanthosis
- 02 Jun 1995 John Valentin hits 3 HRs
- 03 Jun 1995 Montreal Expos pitcher Pedro Martínez becomes the second Major League Baseball pitcher to pitch a "perfect game" leading into the 10th inning.
- 04 Jun 1995 Jackie Mason: Politically Incorrect closes at Golden NYC at 347 performances
- 05 Jun 1995 29th Music City News Country Awards: Alan Jackson and Reba McEntire
- 06 Jun 1995 1st Blockbuster Entertainment Awards
- 07 Jun 1995 The long range Boeing 777 enters service with United Airlines.
- 08 Jun 1995 Buttons on Broadway opens at Ambassador Theater NYC for 40 performances
- 09 Jun 1995 Brady Bunch Movie, (1995), premieres in the UK
- 10 Jun 1995 Month in the Country closes at Roundabout Theater NYC after 79 performances
- 11 Jun 1995 65th French Mens Tennis: Thomas Muster beats Michael Chang (75 62 64)
- 13 Jun 1995 New Jersey Devils beat Philadelphia Flyers, to go to their 1st Stanley Cup finals
- 14 Jun 1995 49th NBA Championship: Houston Rockets sweep Orlando Magic in 4 games
- 15 Jun 1995 Chronicles of a Death Foretold opens at Plymouth NYC for 55 performances
- 16 Jun 1995 Batman Forever opens with a record $528 million weekend
- 18 Jun 1995 95th US Golf Open: Corey Pavin shoots a 280 at Shinnecock Hills, New York
- 19 Jun 1995 New York Yankees announce agreement with Darryl Strawberry
- 20 Jun 1995 Space probe Ulysses begins 2nd passage behind the Sun
- 22 Jun 1995 The New Jersey Devils sweep the heavily favored Detroit Red Wings to win their first Stanley Cup in the lock-out shortened season.
- 24 Jun 1995 Stanley Cup: New Jersey Devils sweep Detroit Red Wings in 4 games
- 25 Jun 1995 Betsy King wins ShopRite LPGA Golf Classic
- 26 Jun 1995 Gunmen ambush Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, escapes unharmed
- 27 Jun 1995 Space shuttle STS-71 (Atlantis 14), launches
- 28 Jun 1995 New Jersey Devils Stanley Cup Victory Party, admidst rumours they were moving to Nashville, goalie Chris Terreri holds up Nashville? NO WAY! sign
- 29 Jun 1995 George Foreman loses IBF boxing title, refused to fight Axel Schulz
- 01 Jul 1995 Kiss of the Spider Woman closes at Broadhurst NYC after 906 performances
- 02 Jul 1995 Rose Tattoo closes at Circle in the Square NYC after 80 performances
- 04 Jul 1995 Birmingham Barracudas play 1st CFL game (vs. Winnipeg)
- 05 Jul 1995 Columbia University beats Hartford College to be 1st US to win Henley Regatta
- 06 Jul 1995 Lottie Dod, 15, beats Blanch Bingley at Wimbledon
- 07 Jul 1995 Memphis Mad Dogs 1st CFL home game (vs. BC Lions)
- 08 Jul 1995 102nd Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Graf beats Arantxa S Vicario (46 61 75)
- 09 Jul 1995 109th Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Pete Sampras beats B Becker (67 62 64 62)
- 11 Jul 1995 66th All Star Baseball Game: NL wins 3-2 at Ballpark at Arlington, Texas
- 12 Jul 1995 The House Banking Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy hears from Harvey Stack (New York coin dealer), David Ganz (ANA President), and Alan Stahl (American Numismatic Society curator) on abuses in the commemorative coin programs. Stack suggests the US Mint strike a series of circulating commemorative coins honoring the first 13 states, followed by coins for the remaining states, similar to the Canada 125 program of 25-cent coins for each province.
- 13 Jul 1995 Space shuttle STS-70 (Discovery 20), launches
- 14 Jul 1995 LA Dodger Ramon Martinez no-hits the Florida Marlins 7-0
- 15 Jul 1995 Birmingham Barracudas 1st CFL home game (vs. Hamilton)
- 16 Jul 1995 Buttons on Broadway closes at Ambassador Theater NYC after 40 performances
- 17 Jul 1995 Forbes Magazine announces Bill Gates is the richest man in world ($12.9B)
- 18 Jul 1995 DC3 crashes at Antananarivo Madagaskar, 34 die
- 21 Jul 1995 Brian Lara completes a pair for West Indians vs. Kent
- 22 Jul 1995 Space shuttle STS-70 (Discovery 20), lands
- 23 Jul 1995 Hamlet closes at Belasco Theater NYC after 121 performances
- 25 Jul 1995 A gas bottle explodes in Saint Michel station of line B of the RER (Paris regional train network). Eight are killed and 80 wounded.
- 27 Jul 1995 In Washington, DC, the Korean War Veterans Memorial is dedicated.
- 29 Jul 1995 Carolina Panthers beat Jacksonville Jaguars in their 1st NFL exhibition game 20-14
- 01 Aug 1995 Westinghouse purchases CBS-TV network
- 02 Aug 1995 The first cold front of the White Earthquake strikes Chile, during the rest of August several communities becomes isolated due to heavy snowfall and livestock is decimated.
- 03 Aug 1995 CNN en Espanol premieres
- 04 Aug 1995 Darryl Strawberry joins the New York Yankees
- 05 Aug 1995 Croatian forces liberate, Knin, and continue their advance into the Republic of Serbian Krajina.
- 06 Aug 1995 Damn Yankees closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 510 performances
- 07 Aug 1995 Operation Storm ends with a UN-brokered ceasefire; remaining Republic of Serbian Krajina forces start surrendering.
- 08 Aug 1995 Jeff King of Pirates is 16th NL player to HR twice in one inning
- 09 Aug 1995 Jerry Garcia, famed guitarist of The Grateful Dead dies from an overdose of heroin while in rehab.
- 10 Aug 1995 Dodgers leading 2-1 in 9th forfeit game to Cards, fans become unruly
- 11 Aug 1995 The Russell Hill subway accident results in 3 deaths and 30 injuries in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 13 Aug 1995 77th PGA Championship: Steve Elkington shoots a 267 at Riviera, California
- 14 Aug 1995 Shannon Faulkner becomes 1st woman to attend the Citadel
- 15 Aug 1995 Keylee Sue Sanders, 18, of Kansas, crowned 13th Miss Teen USA
- 16 Aug 1995 Bermudans reject independence in a referendum.
- 18 Aug 1995 Cards reliever Tom Henke earns his 300th career save
- 19 Aug 1995 After 5 days Shannon Faulkner quits as 1st woman at the Citadel
- 21 Aug 1995 US District Court Judge Thomas Jackson holds the first and only hearing on the consent decree between Microsoft and the US Department of Justice. Within 17 minutes, he signs his approval of it. The decree will govern Microsoft's licensing practices of Windows for the next 6.5 years, barring the company from linking unrelated software licenses. The ruling comes after five years of investigation of monopolistic licensing practices.
- 23 Aug 1995 Larry Hagman receives a liver transplant
- 24 Aug 1995 Fire that wipes 6,000 acres begins in Hamptons on Long Island
- 25 Aug 1995 Andrew Symonds scores 254 Gloucs vs. Glam, world record 16 x 6
- 26 Aug 1995 Andrew Symonds hits 20 sixes in match for Gloucs vs. Glamorgan
- 27 Aug 1995 Arcadia closes at Vivian Beaumont Theater NYC after 204 performances
- 28 Aug 1995 A Bosnian Serb mortar bomb near a Sarajevo market square kills 37 civilians.
- 29 Aug 1995 Eduard Shevardnadze, the Georgian head of state, survives an assassination attempt in Tbilisi.
- 30 Aug 1995 Cable News Network joins internet
- 01 Sep 1995 Infinity Radio agrees to voluntarily pay $1.7 million to US Treasury
- 02 Sep 1995 Actor Charlie Sheen (30th birthday) marries Donna Peele (25)
- 03 Sep 1995 Carolina Panthers lose their 1st NFL game (Atlanta-23 Carolina-20 OT)
- 04 Sep 1995 Mary Beth Zimmerman wins LPGA State Farm Rail Golf Classic
- 06 Sep 1995 Senate Ethics committee votes 6-0 to ask for expulsion of Bob Packwood
- 07 Sep 1995 12th MTV Awards
- 08 Sep 1995 Cleveland Indians clinch 1st AL Central Division title
- 09 Sep 1995 Broadway Limited last train ride (began in 1902)
- 10 Sep 1995 115th US Mens Tennis: Pete Sampras beats Andre Agassi (64 63 46 75)
- 11 Sep 1995 Eastern Tennessee begins using new area code 423
- 14 Sep 1995 Body Worlds opens in Tokyo, Japan
- 15 Sep 1995 Cards shortstop Ozzie Smith sets record of 1,554 double plays
- 16 Sep 1995 Greg Maddux of Braves sets record of 17 consecutive road victory
- 17 Sep 1995 Love! Valor! Compassion! closes at Walter Kerr NYC after 276 performances
- 18 Sep 1995 Art Modell 1st meets (he claims) with Baltimore to move Browns
- 19 Sep 1995 Andres Galarraga is 4th to hit 30 HRs for Rockies in 1995
- 20 Sep 1995 Cincinnati Reds becomes 1st team to clinch NL Central
- 22 Sep 1995 American millionaire Steve Forbes announces his candidacy for the 1996 Republican presidential nomination.
- 23 Sep 1995 Argentine national Guillermo "Bill" Gaede is arrested in Phoenix, Arizona on charges of industrial espionage. His sales to Cuba, China, North Korea and Iran are believed to have involved Intel and Advanced Micro Devices trade secrets worth US$10-20 million.
- 24 Sep 1995 Annika Sorenstam wins LPGA GHP Heartland Golf Classic
- 26 Sep 1995 George magazine premieres, published by John F Kennedy Jr
- 27 Sep 1995 The Government of the United States unveils the first of its redesigned bank notes with the $100 bill featuring a larger portrait of Benjamin Franklin slightly off-center.
- 28 Sep 1995 Batman Forever released Czech Republic
- 29 Sep 1995 OJ Simpson trial sent to the jury
- 30 Sep 1995 Cleveland Indian Albert Belle hits his 50th home run of season
- 01 Oct 1995 Bermuda begins using new area code 441
- 02 Oct 1995 Moon Over Buffalo opens at Martin Beck Theater NYC for 308 performances
- 03 Oct 1995 1st 1st-class match at Hurstville Oval, Sydney (New South Wales vs. W Prov)
- 04 Oct 1995 29th Country Music Association Award: Krauss Jackson win
- 05 Oct 1995 Company opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 68 performances
- 06 Oct 1995 Colorodo Avalanche (former Quebec Nordiques) 1st NHL game, beat Detroit
- 07 Oct 1995 Mariners rally from 5-0 to force Game 5 of Division Series vs. Yankees
- 08 Oct 1995 Edgar Martinez drives home tying andwinning runs to rally Mariners to 6-5 win in bottom of 11th to beat Yankees andwin AL Division Series
- 09 Oct 1995 1995 Palo Verde derailment: An Amtrak Sunset Limited train is derailed by saboteurs near Palo Verde, Arizona.
- 10 Oct 1995 Garden District opens at Circle in the Square Theater, New York City
- 11 Oct 1995 John Bobbitt has plastic surgery to increase his penis 3 inches
- 12 Oct 1995 Patti LuPone on Broadway opens at Walter Kerr NYC for 46 performances
- 13 Oct 1995 Joseph Rotblat awarded Nobel Peace Prize
- 14 Oct 1995 Atlanta Braves become 1st team to sweep in NL playoff (beat Reds)
- 15 Oct 1995 Carolina Panthers win 1st game ever beating New York Jets 26-15
- 16 Oct 1995 Allan Donald takes 8-71 as South Africa defeat Zimbabwe
- 17 Oct 1995 Keith Moore sentenced to 6 years for robbing Sting of $9,000,000
- 18 Oct 1995 NHL Winnipeg Jets sold to Americans who plan to move them to Phoenix
- 19 Oct 1995 Hello Dolly! opens at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC for 118 performances
- 20 Oct 1995 Sri Lanka beat West Indies to win Sharjah Champions Trophy final
- 21 Oct 1995 Addison Vance, 18, of Hickory NC, crowned 7th Ms Venus Swimwear
- 22 Oct 1995 Swinging On a Star opens at Music Box Theater NYC for 97 performances
- 23 Oct 1995 In Houston, Texas, Yolanda Saldivar is convicted of first degree murder in the shooting death of Selena Quintanilla Perez and three days later is sentenced to life in prison. Saldivar will be eligible for parole in 2025.
- 24 Oct 1995 Total solar eclipse in SW / S Asia (2m09s)
- 25 Oct 1995 Victor / Victoria, opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 738 performances
- 26 Oct 1995 Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Mossad agents assassinate Islamic Jihad leader Fathi Shikaki in his hotel in Malta.
- 27 Oct 1995 Latvia applies for membership in the European Union.
- 28 Oct 1995 Atlanta Braves beat Cleveland Indians in 6 games in World Series
- 29 Oct 1995 Fool Moon opens at Ambassador Theater, New York City
- 30 Oct 1995 Quebec Referendum votes to remain part of Canada
- 31 Oct 1995 NHL New Jersey Devils agree to stay in New Jersey
- 01 Nov 1995 Tempest opens at Broadhurst Theater NYC for 71 performances
- 02 Nov 1995 Busker Alley, premieres at St. James Theatre, New York
- 03 Nov 1995 1st NBA game at Rose Garden, Port Trailblazers lose to Grizzlies 92-80
- 04 Nov 1995 Indiscretions closes at Ethel Barrymore Theater NYC after 221 performances
- 05 Nov 1995 1st NBA game at General Motors Place, Vancouver Grizzlies beat Minn Timberwolves 100-98 in OT
- 06 Nov 1995 Art Modell officially announces Cleveland Browns are moving to Baltimore
- 07 Nov 1995 Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Pittsburgh PA on WXDX 105.9 FM
- 08 Nov 1995 Police use a controversial pressure-point hold on demonstrators at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Auckland, New Zealand.
- 09 Nov 1995 Danny Gans on Broadway opens at Neil Simon Theater, New York City
- 10 Nov 1995 In Nigeria, playwright and environmental activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, along with 8 others from the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People, are hanged by government forces.
- 11 Nov 1995 In New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, the casino venture files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- 12 Nov 1995 26th NYC Marathon won by German Silva in 2:10:00
- 13 Nov 1995 A truck-bomb explodes outside of a US-operated Saudi Arabian National Guard training center in Riyadh, killing five Americans and two Indians. A group called the Islamic Movement for Change claims responsibility.
- 14 Nov 1995 A budget standoff between Democrats and Republicans in the Congress of the United States, forces the federal government to temporarily close national parks and museums, and run most government offices with skeleton staff.
- 15 Nov 1995 Master Class opens at Golden Theater NYC for 601 performances
- 16 Nov 1995 Attorney General Janet Reno announces she has Parkinson disease
- 18 Nov 1995 Jacqueline Aguilera Marcano, 19, of Venezuela, crowned 45th Miss World
- 19 Nov 1995 Beatle Anthology premieres on ABC-TV
- 20 Nov 1995 Racing Demon opens at Vivian Beaumont Theater NYC for 48 performances
- 21 Nov 1995 Dow Jones closes above 5,000 for 1st time
- 22 Nov 1995 Rosemary West is sentenced to life for killing 10 women and girls, including her daughter and stepdaughter, after the jury returns a guilty verdict at Winchester Crown Court. The trial judge recommends that she should never be released from prison, making her only the second woman in British legal history to be subjected to a whole life tariff (the other was Myra Hindley).
- 24 Nov 1995 Ireland votes to end 70-year-old ban on divorce (50.28% to 49.72%)
- 25 Nov 1995 Patti LuPone on Broadway closes at Walter Kerr NYC after 46 performances
- 26 Nov 1995 33rd Tennis Federation Cup: Spain beats USA in Valencia Spain (3-2)
- 28 Nov 1995 James Brady, former White House Press Secretary, suffers a heart attack
- 29 Nov 1995 Garden District closes at Circle in the Square Theater, New York City
- 30 Nov 1995 Official end of Operation Desert Storm.
- 02 Dec 1995 17th ACE Cable Awards
- 03 Dec 1995 Company closes at Criterion Theater NYC after 68 performances
- 05 Dec 1995 The Sri Lankan government announces the conquest of Tamil stronghold of Jaffna.
- 06 Dec 1995 6th Billboard Music Awards
- 07 Dec 1995 US space probe Galileo begins orbiting Jupiter
- 08 Dec 1995 Jean-Dominique Bauby, editor-in-chief of Elle magazine, suffers a massive stroke and lapses into a coma.
- 09 Dec 1995 61st Heisman Trophy Award: Eddie George, Ohio State (RB).
- 10 Dec 1995 Worst snowstorm in Buffalo history, 37.9 in 24 hours (Starting Dec 9 at 7pm, breaks previous record of 25.3 in 1982
- 11 Dec 1995 Thomas O Hicks buys NHL Dallas Stars for US$84 million.
- 12 Dec 1995 NBA referees return to work after striking.
- 13 Dec 1995 Christopher Reeves released from physical rehab center
- 14 Dec 1995 Les Miserables opens at Cable Hall, Helsinki
- 15 Dec 1995 Playboy goes back on sale after 36 year ban in Ireland
- 16 Dec 1995 American Airlines Flight 965 (Boeing 757) crashes into a mountain near Buga, Valle del Cauca, Colombia after veering off its course en route to Cali, Colombia. Of the 164 people on board, four passengers and a dog are the only survivors.
- 17 Dec 1995 School after Scandal closes at Lyceum Theater NYC after 23 performances
- 19 Dec 1995 Queen Elizabeth askes Prince Charles and Diana to divorce.
- 20 Dec 1995 Paul Roebson opens at Longacre Theater NYC for 14 performances
- 21 Dec 1995 San Francisco Giants announce plans to build a new stadium to open in 2000.
- 22 Dec 1995 David Cone signs $19.5 million three year contract with New York Yankees.
- 26 Dec 1995 Muttiah Muralitharan no-balled for throwing (SL versus Australia, Melbourne Cricket Ground).
- 30 Dec 1995 Carquest Bowl 6: North Carolina beats Arkansas, 20-10.
- 31 Dec 1995 Danny Gans on Broadway closes at Neil Simon, New York City