Monday 1 August 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Zoltán Hargitay and Chuck D.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I'm Sorry by Brenda Lee.
In UK Please Don't Tease by Cliff Richard was in the top 5 hits.
Last Woman on Earth, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1960!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1960 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Zoltán Hargitay: American noted family, the son of Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay.
- Chuck D: American rapper and producer (Public Enemy The Bomb Squad and Confrontation Camp).
- Suzi Gardner: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (L7).
- Professor Griff: American rapper (Public Enemy and Confrontation Camp).
- Aretha Franklins 1st recording session
- Chubby Checker releases The Twist
- Benin (Dahomey) gains independence from France.
- Communist Party of Independence and Work is banned in Senegal.
- Islamabad declared as the federal capital of the Government of Pakistan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Roy Orbison - Only The Lonely (Know The Way I Feel)
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Safaris - Image Of A Girl
- Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her
- Hank Locklin - Please Help Me, I'm Falling
- The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues
- Brenda Lee - That's All You Gotta Do
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?