Friday 1 July 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mike Fitzgerald and Evelyn "Champagne" King in Bronx.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Everybody's Somebody's Fool by Connie Francis.
In UK Three Steps To Heaven by Eddie Cochran was in the top 5 hits.
13 Ghosts, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Comedy Spot.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1960!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1960 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Mike Fitzgerald: Baseball player.
- Evelyn "Champagne" King in Bronx: New York, USA; singer ("Shame", "I'm In Love").
- Evelyn King: American singer.
- Michael Beattie: Australian rugby player and coach.
- Lynn Jennings: Princeton, New Jersey -- 5k runner.
- : American singer
- Kevin Swords: American rugby player
- British Somaliland becomes Somalia
- Fidel Castro nationalizes Esso, Shell and Texaco in Cuba
- Italian Somaliland gains independence, unites with Somali Republic
- No passports needed inside Benelux
- USSR shoots down US RB-47 reconnaissance plane
- Ghana becomes a Republic and Kwame Nkrumah becomes its first President as Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom ceases to be its Head of state.
- Independence of Somalia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Connie Francis - Everybody's Somebody's Fool
- The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Jack Scott - Burning Bridges
- Duane Eddy - Because They're Young
- Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
- Dinah Washington - A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around And Fall In Love)
- Anita Bryant - Paper Roses
- Jimmy Jones - Good Timin'
- Bobby Rydell - Swingin' School
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?