Tuesday 1 September 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1959!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1959 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Kenny Mayne: American football player and journalist.
- Joe Jusko: American illustrator and painter.
- Keith Allen Clearwater: Long Beach, California -- PGA golfer (1987 Colonial National).
- Tish Cyrus: Family Member.
- Dominique Dord: French politician, a member of the National Assembly of France.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 September 1959 and get them!