It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
The Lovers, directed by Louis Malle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in October 1959 ?
- The Lovers
directed by Louis Malle
starring: Jeanne Moreau, Alain Cuny, Jean-Marc Bory
- The Mouse That Roared
directed by Jack Arnold
starring: Peter Sellers, Jean Seberg, William Hartnell
- A Summer Place
directed by Delmer Daves
starring: Richard Egan, Dorothy McGuire, Sandra Dee
- A Bucket of Blood
directed by Roger Corman
starring: Dick Miller, Barboura Morris, Antony Carbone
- The Wonderful Country
directed by Robert Parrish
starring: Robert Mitchum, Julie London, Gary Merrill
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Thursday, 01 October 1959 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
Famous People born
- 1st World Series since 1948 not to feature a New York team (LA vs. Chic)
: Welsh footballer
: Senegalese singer
Famous People died
Enrico de Nicola
: 1st President of the Italian Republic (Born 1877)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
What news were making the headlines those days in October 1959 ?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
by Leon Uris
Exodus is an international publishing phenomenon--the towering novel of the twentieth century's most dramatic geopolitical event. Leon Uris magnificently portrays the birth of a new nation in the midst of enemies--the beginning of an earthshaking struggle for power. Here
by Boris Pasternak
First published in Italy in 1957 amid international controversy, Doctor Zhivago is the story of the life and loves of a poet/physician during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution.
by James A. Michener
Pulitzer Prize–winning author James A. Michener brings Hawaii’s epic history vividly to life in a classic saga that has captivated readers since its initial publication in 1959.
7-Up Soda Fresh, Clean Taste (1959)
First National City Trust Company (1959)
General Electric Defense Electronics Division, Robert McCall (1959)
Tell the world why Thursday, 1 October 1959 is such a special date for you!