Saturday 1 September 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 2012!
Which were the important events of 1 September 2012 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 September
- Syrian civil war:
- The Syrian government states that it has repelled a major attack on an air base near Aleppo 341 detainees are released across the country. Rebels claim the capture of an airforce building in Deir ez-Zor. (SANA)
- War in Afghanistan:
- Two suicide bombings near a NATO base kill at least 12 people and wound 50 others in the Sayed Abad district of Afghanistan's Wardak province. (''USA Today'')
- A drone strike conducted by the United States kills at least five suspected militants in North Waziristan, Pakistan. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- Pakistani media say the Taliban have unveiled a videotape showing only the heads of 12 of the 15 Pakistan Army soldiers missing after this week's combat in Bajaur. An anonymous official confirms the missing's deaths. (''Pakistan Observer'')
- Mexican Drug War:
- Eduardo Arellano Félix, a former drug lord of the Tijuana Cartel, is extradited to the United States from Mexico. He is the last brother of the cartel in a 2003 indictment to be extradited. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- 2012 northern Mali conflict:
- Islamist rebels in northern Mali seize the central town of Douentza. (BBC)
- An unidentified man throws a grenade to spectators of a festival in Paquibato district near Davao City, Philippines, wounding 41 people. (''Inquirer'')
- Former progressive Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini describes the Catholic Church as ampquot200 years behind the timesampquot in an interview published the day after his death. (CNN)
- American songwriter Hal David, who was best known for his collaborations with composer Burt Bacharach, dies in Los Angeles, California, at the age of 91. (BBC)
- Tent cabins in Yosemite National Park, U.S., are closed after officials notify 3,100 recent visitors of an outbreak of Hantavirus. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- A nuclear reactor in Belgium shows up to 0.3 m-depth signs of erosion weakening the 1.2 m outer reinforced concrete mantle, three times deeper than previously reported. The owner and the nuclear regulator deny any risk since the reactor was already shut down due to another issue. (''Le Soir'')
- Now middle-aged victims of Thalidomide (''Softenon'', ''Contergan'')'s mutilating effects on embryos say the first ever apologies from the manufacturer Grünenthal GmbH are ampquotinsultingampquot. (AFP via ''The Globe and Mail'')
- 16th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement in Tehran:
- The summit is closed with accepting a 600-page final document that mainly focuses on the Palestinian issue as well as on Iran's nuclear energy program, but makes no mention of the Syrian civil war. A Chinese state commentary qualifies the summit as an ampquotimportantampquot diplomatic ampquotaccomplishment from Iranampquot, having hosted ampquotleaders and delegates of over 100 countriesampquot. (''Xinhua'')
- The seventeenth summit is to be held in Venezuela. (''The Himalayan Times'')
- The ruling People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola wins the Angolan general election with a preliminary 74.46% of the vote. (Al Jazeera)
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in September 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?