Wednesday 12 September 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 September 2012!
Which were the important events of 12 September 2012 ?
- Also see September 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Maryland (United States) - Defenders Day
- Cape Verde - National Day
- Ethiopia - National Revolution Day (1974)
- RC Saints - Holy Name of Mary
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 September
- Syrian civil war
- Rebels kill 18 soldiers in Idlib Governorate in a car bomb and ground attack on a military installation. (AFP via Google News)
- Russia's foreign minister Lavrov expresses regret that the West accepts terrorist acts in Syria according to its political considerations. (SANA)
- War in Afghanistan
- A suicide bombing at a hotel in the Somali capital of Mogadishu where newly elected president Hassan Sheikh Mohamoud was holding a news conference kills at least four people. (Reuters)
- The first panels of the Ghent Altarpiece, the ampquotLamb of Godampquot, are secretly moved from Saint Bavo Cathedral to the Ghent Museum of Fine Arts for a five-year restoration. It is probably the most frequently stolen artwork in history. One panel has been missing since 1934. (''Het Nieuwsblad'')
- The Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe rules that Germany's participation in the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) is, conditionally, within the German Constitution's limits, allowing President Gauck to approve the Bundestag's previous agreement with the mechanism. (BBC)
- Teachers in Chicago continue their strike until a new labour agreement is met. (''New York Times'')
- The miners' strike movement in South Africa extends to Anglo Platinum in Rustenburg. At least 45 people have died in the ongoing Lonmin Marikana miners' strike. (Al Jazeera)
- BAE and EADS are having merger talks. (Forbes)
- Over 314 people die in factory fires in the Pakistani cities of Karachi and Lahore. (Reuters)
- In his yearly State of the Union speech at the European Parliament, President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso appeals for more European integration and a supervision mechanism for the 6,000 banks in Europe. (''The New York Times'')
- 2012 diplomatic missions attacks
- U.S. president Barack Obama strongly condemns the ampquotoutrageous attackampquot that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other U.S. citizens in Benghazi, Libya, saying that the United States rejects denigration of religious beliefs but also rejects the ampquotsenseless violence that killed the US diplomatampquot. (''Boston.com'')
- U.S. presidential candidate Mitt Romney says President Obama's first reaction to Tuesday's attacks on U.S. diplomatic missions was to ampquotsympathizeampquot with the assailants Obama's campaign team expresses ampquotshockampquot that Romney would choose such a tragic event to launch a political attack. (''Business Insider'')
- Sam Bacile, supposed writer and director of the privately produced film that motivated the attacks, has gone into hiding, while a second person, apparently separately, claims production of the artefact. (AP via ''Google News'')
- Afghanistan blocks access to YouTube until the video is taken down. (Reuters)
- Syrian rebels express outrage that the privately produced video belittling the prophet Muhammad is generating more anger among Arabs than the rising death toll within Syria. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Senkaku Islands dispute:
- The Japanese Foreign Minister Kōichirō Gemba says Japan will ampquotnot reconsiderampquot the ownership issue. (''Daily Yomiuri'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in September 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 12 September 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?