Friday 2 January 1981
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kirk Hinrich and Hanno Balitsch.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to (Just Like) Starting Over by John Lennon.
In UK There's No One Quite Like Grandma by St Winifred's School Choir was in the top 5 hits.
Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez, directed by Jean Girault, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while The Covenant by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Blanc, bleu, rouge.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Galaxian 2 or Warp & Warp.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 January 1981!
Which were the important events of 2 January 1981 ?
- New Zealand ? Statutory holiday, Second day of New Year.
- United States - Bonza Bottler Day.
- Slovenia ? Second day of New Year.
- Scotland ? Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism ? Feast day of St. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen.
- The eighth day of Christmas (and ninth night of same) in Western Christianity.
- Science Fiction Day
- Kirk Hinrich: American basketball player.
- Hanno Balitsch: German footballer.
- Ryan Garko: American baseball player.
- Maxi Rodríguez: Argentinian footballer.
- David Lynch: American director and screenwriter, one of the most talented and imaginative contemporary film makers of the 20th century.
- Sylvester Clarke knocks out spectator with brick, West Indies versus Pakistan.
- Mary Terstegge Meagher swims female record 200 metre butterfly (2:05.65).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 2 January 1981
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over
- Leo Sayer - More Than I Can Say
- Neil Diamond - Love On The Rocks
- Kenny Rogers - Lady
- Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart
- Air Supply - Every Woman In The World
- Barbra Streisand - Guilty
- Blondie - The Tide Is High
- Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
- Heart - Tell It Like It Is
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?