Friday 2 October 1970
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Diana Ross.
In UK Tears Of A Clown by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles was in the top 5 hits.
The Baby Maker, directed by James Bridges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1970!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1970 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Maribel Verdu: Spanish actress.
- Frederic Kowal: French Olympic Bronze Medal winner in canoe-kayak on 7/27/1996, Atlanta.
- Kelly Ripa: American actress, talk show host and television producer.
- Eddie Guardado: Stockton, California -- Pitcher (Minn Twins).
- Patricia O'Callaghan: Canadian soprano and producer.
- Maribel Verdú: Spanish actress and singer
- Plane carrying Wichita State University football team crashes killing 30.
- Billy Martin named manager of the Detroit Tigers.
- A plane carrying the Wichita State University football team, administrators, and supporters crashes in Colorado killing 31 people.
- The Wichita State University football team's quotGoldquot plane crashes in Colorado, killing most of the players. They were on their way (along with administrators and fans) to a game with Utah State University.
- In Lebanon, the government of Prime Minister Rashid Karami resigns.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- National Weather Service of NOAA.
- NOAA Commissioned Officer Corps.
- In Bolivia, Army Commander General Rogelio Miranda and a group of officers rebel and demand the resignation of President Alfredo Ovando Candía, who fires him.
- National Educational Television ends operations, being succeeded by PBS.
- In Los Angeles, Rock and blues singer Janis Joplin dies in her hotel room, from an overdose of heroin.
- U.S. President Richard Nixon's European tour ends.
- The Front de libération du Québec (FLQ) kidnaps James Cross in Montreal and demands release of all its imprisoned members. The next day the Canadian government announces it will not meet the demand, beginning Quebec's October Crisis.
- The Public Broadcasting Service begins broadcasting.
- Bolivian President Alfredo Ovando Candía resigns General Rogelio Miranda takes over but resigns soon after.
- French President Georges Pompidou visits the Soviet Union.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Edwin Starr - War
- Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin' Out My Back Door
- Dawn - Candida
- Free - All Right Now
- Bobby Sherman - Julie, Do Ya Love Me
- Rare Earth - (I Know) I'm Losing You
- Anne Murray - Snowbird
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 2 October 1970 and get them!