Saturday 17 October 1970
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to I'll Be There by Jackson 5.
In UK Band Of Gold by Freda Payne was in the top 5 hits.
The Vampire Lovers, directed by Roy Ward Baker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1970!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1970 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Jean-Paul de Young: Soccer player (FC Utrecht).
- Marciano Vink: Soccer player (Genoa / PSV).
- Anil Kumble: Indian cricketer.
- Tasha Tsang: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan -- Rower (1996 Olympics).
- John Mabry: Wilmington, Delaware -- Outfielder (St. Louis Cardinals).
- Shauna O'Brien: American model and actress
- Blues Saraceno: American guitarist songwriter and producer (Poison)
- Jay McGillis: American football player who, as Boston College's defensive back, played much bigger than his 5'9" height and 180 lbs. In 1991, he was fourth on the team in tackles. That year he contracted leukemia and was in and out of the hospital. Off the field, during the period of his illness, he was also a fighter. He never complained. His teammates remembered him as being emotionally supportive and a real team player. He had courage and was an inspiration to all that knew him.
- Anwar Sadat sworn in as President of Egypt
- Montreal, Quebec: Quebec Vice-Premier and Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte murdered by members of the FLQ terrorist group.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
- Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- Neil Diamond - Cracklin' Rosie
- Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin' Out My Back Door
- James Taylor - Fire And Rain
- Dawn - Candida
- Sugarloaf - Green-Eyed Lady
- Free - All Right Now
- Bobby Sherman - Julie, Do Ya Love Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 October 1970 and get them!