Monday 4 May 1970
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to American Woman by The Guess Who.
In UK Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel was in the top 5 hits.
A Man Called Horse, directed by Elliot Silverstein, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The French Lieutenant'S Woman by John Fowles was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1970 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Karla Homolka: Canadian homicide accomplice; a story of degradation, sadism and terror.
- Sergio Basanez: Mexican actor.
- Will Arnett: American actor.
- Gregg Alexander: American singer-songwriter and producer.
- Sergio Basañez: Mexican actor and lawyer.
- Giovanni Mirabassi: Italian jazz musician
- Paul Wiseman: New Zealand cricketer and coach
- Dawn Staley: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania -- Basketball guard (1996 Olympics - Gold Medalist)
- 4 students: at Kent State University killed by Ohio National Guard.
- Allison Krause: Kent State victim (Born 1951).
- Eugenia Livanos: Greek socialite (Born 1927).
- William Schroeder: (Born 1950).
- Sandra Scheuer: Kent State victim (Born 1949).
- National Guard kills 4 at Kent State in Ohio
- US National Guard kills four protesting students (Jeffrey Miller, Sandy Scheuer, Allison Krause, William Schroeder) at Kent State University in Ohio.
- Premier Kosygin affirms existence Russian military advisors in Egypt.
- Vietnam War: Kent State shootings: the Ohio National Guard, sent to Kent State University after disturbances in the city of Kent the weekend before, opens fire killing four unarmed students and wounding nine others. The students were protesting the United States' invasion of Cambodia.
- Arms Crisis in the Republic of Ireland: Charles Haughey and Neil Blaney are dismissed as members of the Irish Government, for accusations of their involvement in a plot to import arms for use by the Provisional IRA in Northern Ireland.
- Feyenoord wins the European Cup after a 2–1 win over Celtic.
- Hard Hat riot: Unionized construction workers attack about 1,000 students and others protesting the Kent State shootings near the intersection of Wall Street and Broad Street and at New York City Hall.
- The Beatles release their 12th and final album, ''Let It Be''.
- The New York Knicks win their first NBA championship, defeating the Los Angeles Lakers 113-99 in Game 7 of the world championship series at Madison Square Garden.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Guess Who - American Woman
- The Jackson 5 - ABC
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- The Ides Of March - Vehicle
- Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
- The Friends Of Distinction - Love Or Let Me Be Lonely
- Ray Stevens - Everything Is Beautiful
- John Ono Lennon - Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
- Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time
- The Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?