Sunday 17 May 1970
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to American Woman by The Guess Who.
In UK Back Home by England World Cup Squad was in the top 5 hits.
The Ballad of Cable Hogue, directed by Sam Peckinpah, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The French Lieutenant'S Woman by John Fowles was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 May 1970!
Which were the important events of 17 May 1970 ?
- Norwegian Constitution Day or Syttende Mai.
- Dfa das Letras Galegas ("Galician Literature Day") ? holiday in Galicia, honouring the Galician language.
- Bah�'f Faith ? Feast of 'Azaamat (Grandeur) ? First day of the fourth month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Saint Paschal Baylon or Pascal Baylon
- Saint Montanus
- Saint Dietmar
- Saint Pamphamer
- International Day Against Homophobia aka IDAHO
- Saint Pamphalon
- Saint Solochon
- Saint Adrian of Alexandria
- Angelica Agurbash: Belarusian singer, actress and model.
- Jeremy Browne: English politician Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.
- Jordan Knight: American musician and member of the "New Kids on the Block," a manufactured rock group of superstars that originated in the working class of Boston and flourished in the late ‘80s.
- Hubert Davis: American basketball player and coach.
- Matt Lindland: American mixed martial artist wrestler and politician.
- René Vilbre: Estonian director and screenwriter
- Mark Belmore: American university student murdered by a gang of young blacks on Martin Luther King's birthday, 1/14/1990, in Boston. It was a time when racial tensions were running high, as Charles Stuart had just claimed that a young black man had shot his pregnant wife and him. Mark's body lay unclaimed for 24 hours due to the fact that police were reluctant to release the information of the murder, fearing it would cause racial outbursts.
- Stefania Croce in Bergamo: Italy; golfer (95 State Farm Rail Classic-11).
- Giovanna Trillini: Italian fencing champion who won a Gold Medal in team foils with Bortolozzi and Vezzali at the Atlanta Olympics on 7/25/1996. Three days prior, she had won a Bronze medal in individual foils.
- Alan Wetmore: Canadian Football League fullback (Montreal Alouettes).
- Derrick Deese: NFL guard (San Francisco 49ers).
- Hubert Davis NBA guard (Dallas Mavericks: New York Knicks).
- Jim Cummins in Dearborn: Michigan, USA; NHL right wing (Chicago Blackhawks).
- Jodie Rogers in Melbourne: Victoria, Australia; diver (Olympics-1996).
- John Karelse: soccer player (NAC).
- Jordan Nathaniel Marcel Knight in Worcester: Massachusetts, USA; rocker (New Kids on the Block - "Hangin' Tough").
- Renzo Furlan: in Italy; tennis star.
- Todd Mundt: NBA center (Atlanta Hawks).
- Nigel M Balchin: English Author (My Executioner), dies at 61.
- Shirley Englehorn wins LPGA Johnny Londoff Chevrolet Golf Tournament.
- Hank Aaron becomes 9th player to get 3,000 hits.
- Thor Heyerdahl sets sail from Morocco on the papyrus boat Ra II to sail the Atlantic Ocean.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Guess Who - American Woman
- The Jackson 5 - ABC
- The Ides Of March - Vehicle
- The Beatles - Let It Be
- Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia
- Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky
- Ray Stevens - Everything Is Beautiful
- Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time
- Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up Around The Bend
- The Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?