Sunday 9 May 1943
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Manuel Perez Martinez and Chriet Titulaer.
The Ox-Bow Incident, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1943.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1943 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Manuel Perez Martinez: Known as "El Cura Pérez" ("Pérez the Priest"), was leader of the Colombian National Liberation Army (ELN) over three decades.
- Chriet Titulaer: Dutch astronomer and popular science and technology writer.
- Vince Cable: English economist and politician Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.
- Anders Isaksson: Swedish journalist, writer, and historian (Born 1943).
- Colin Pillinger: English astronomer chemist and academic (d. 2014).
- 5th German Panser army surrenders in Tunisia.
- Rotschild-Haddassh University Hospital opens.
- May 12 ampndash Japanese troops carry out the Changjiao massacre in Changjiao, Hunan, China.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?