Thursday 9 September 1943
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Sahara, directed by Zoltan Korda, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1943.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1943!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1943 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Art LaFleur: American actor.
- Frank Clark: English footballer manager and chairman.
- George Roger Waters: Keyboardist (Pink Floyd-Brick in the Wall).
- Charles McLean Andrews: American historian (Born 1863).
- Italy surrenders to Allies
- Lieutenant General Bradley flies from Algiers to to Marrakech / Prestwick
- Red Army occupies Bachmatsj
- US, British and French troops land in Salerno (operation Avalanche)
- Allied forces launch Operation Avalanche, with amphibious landings of 55,000 troops at Salerno, Italy. US 6th Corps under Ernest Dawley lands on the right, 25 miles south of Salerno. British 10th Corps under Sir Richard McCreery lands on the left, just south of Salerno.
- Bertolt Brecht's play ''Life of Galileo'' () receives its first theatrical production at the Zurich Schauspielhaus.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?