Wednesday 12 December 1979
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sharin Foo and Emin Agalarov.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Babe by Styx.
In UK Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd was in the top 5 hits.
Being There, directed by Hal Ashby, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Triple by Ken Follett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Duchess of Duke Street.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Head On or Speed Freak.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 December 1979!
Which were the important events of 12 December 1979 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Mas�'il (Questions) - First day of the 15th month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Also see December 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Kenya - Jamhuri Day: Independence Day (from Britain, 1963)
- Sharin Foo: Danish singer and bassist.
- Emin Agalarov: World Music Singer.
- Garrett Atkins: American baseball player.
- Nate Clements: American football player.
- John Salmons: American basketball player.
- Gold hits record US$462.50 an ounce.
- Rhodesia becomes the independent nation of Zimbabwe.
- President of Pakistan, Zia-ul-Haq, confers Nishan-e-Imtiaz on Nobel laureate Dr Abdus Salam.
- Coup d'etat of December Twelfth: South Korean Army Major General Chun Doo-hwan orders the arrest of Army Chief of Staff General Jeong Seung-hwa without authorization from President Choi Kyu-ha, alleging involvement in the assassination of ex-President Park Chung Hee.
- The unrecognised state of Zimbabwe Rhodesia returns to British control and resumes using the name Southern Rhodesia.
- A major earthquake and tsunami kill 259 people in Colombia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Styx - Babe
- Commodores - Still
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
- Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
- Stevie Wonder - Send One Your Love
- Barbra Streisand - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
- J.D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
- Captain and Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time
- Eagles - Heartache Tonight
- Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?