Thursday 13 December 1979
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Christina Todd and Matjaž Smodiš.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Babe by Styx.
In UK Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd was in the top 5 hits.
All That Jazz, directed by Bob Fosse, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Triple by Ken Follett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Duchess of Duke Street.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Auto Racing or Heiankyo Alien.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1979.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1979!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1979 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Christina Todd: Miss Ohio Teen USA (Miss Congeniality-1997).
- Matjaž Smodiš: Slovenian basketball player.
- Jon Hall: American actor onscreen from 1935, having changed his name to Charles Locher.
- Oklahoma! opens at Palace Theater NYC for 301 performances
- Strikes against price increases in Gdansk, Poland.
- The Canadian Government of Prime Minister Joe Clark is defeated in the House of Commons, prompting the 1980 Canadian election.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Styx - Babe
- Commodores - Still
- K.C and the Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go
- Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
- Stevie Wonder - Send One Your Love
- Barbra Streisand - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
- J.D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
- Captain and Tennille - Do That To Me One More Time
- Eagles - Heartache Tonight
- Supertramp - Take The Long Way Home
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?