Sunday 13 August 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bettine Vriesekoop and Christos Christodoulou.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Pit and the Pendulum, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 13 August 1961 ?
- International Lefthanders Day
- St. Wigbert
- RC saints - Pontianus and Hippolytus, Radegunde (help against the pox), Cassianus of Imola (patron of shorthand-writers)
- In Brasil, Friday 13 August (agosto) is considered to be especially filled with sorrow (desgosto)
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 6 saints: St. Hippolytus
- St. Cassian
- St. John Berchmans
- St. John Bosco
- St. Radegund
- Roman festivals - Vertumnalias in honor of Vertumnus, and also Diana, on the Aventine hill
- Bettine Vriesekoop: Dutch table tennis star.
- Christos Christodoulou: Greek basketball player.
- Stuart Maconie: English music writer and broadcaster.
- Sunil Shetty: Indian actor and producer.
- Ambeth Ocampo: Filipino multi-awarded historian, academic, journalist, and author best known for his writings about Philippines' national hero José Rizal and for "Looking Back", his bi-weekly editorial page column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- Cary Stayner: American homicide, picked up by the police on 7/24/1999 for the murder of Yosemite park naturalist Joie Ruth Armstrong, 26. Her decapitated body had been found two days prior in a drainage ditch about four miles from the park lodge, near where she lived in park housing, and her death was established as occurring on 7/21/1999.
- Koji Kondo: Composer
- Dawnn Lewis: Actress (Jaleesa-Different World)
- Chad Brown: American poker player and actor (d. 2014)
- Sam Champion: American journalist
- Neil Mallender: English cricketer and umpire
- Tom Perrotta: American novelist and screenwriter
- Tomasz Starzewski: English fashion designer
- Adeline De Walt Reynolds: Actress (Son of Dracula), dies at 78.
- Construction on Berlin Wall begins in East Germany (Dark day)
- Louise Suggs wins LPGA Kansas City Golf Open
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Brenda Lee - Dum Dum
- Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
- Connie Francis - Together
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Highwaymen - Michael
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?