Sunday 6 August 1961
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Pit and the Pendulum, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1961 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Karl Zéro: French journalist, radio and TV presenter, known for addressing politicians as "tu" (the familiar form).
- Cara Lott: American porn actress and model.
- Mary Sieghart: English journalist and radio host.
- Carol Norman: Ardmore, Oklahoma -- Bowler (LPBT Rookie of Year 1982).
- Earl Winfield: CFL receiver (Hamilton Tiger Cats).
- Mary Lou: Daniels, Chicago, Illinois -- Tennis star
- Antonella Interlenghi: Italian stage, film and television actress, also known as Antonellina Interlenghi.
- Jozef E Van Roey: Flemish Cardinal / Archbishop of Mechelen, dies at 87.
- 1st case of motion sickness in space reported
- Gherman S Titov, 2nd Russian in space aboard Vostok 2 (17 orbits)
- Mickey Wright wins LPGA Waterloo Golf Open
- Vostok 2: Soviet cosmonaut Gherman Titov becomes the second human to orbit the Earth, and the first to be in outer space for more than one day.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song
- Brenda Lee - Dum Dum
- Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry
- Gary U.S. Bonds - Quarter To Three
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Connie Francis - Together
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Arthur Lyman Group - Yellow Bird
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?