Friday 17 April 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 April 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 April 1959 ?
- Pope Anicetus (died 166)
- Saint Gerwin of Oudenburg (d. 1117)
- Saint Landricus
- Blessed Radboud of Louvain (d.1142)
- Saint Stephen Harding (d. 1134)
- Stephen Singleton in Sheffield: England; rocker (ABC).
- Jimmy Mann: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Li Meisu: Chinese shot putter.
- David Hearn: Washington, DC -- Slalom single canoe (1996 Olympics - 9th Place).
- Elizabeth Lindsey: Actress (China Beach).
- Sean Bean: English actor
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?