Friday 18 June 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to California Gurls by Katy Perry.
Grown Ups, directed by Dennis Dugan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 June 2010!
Which were the important events of 18 June 2010 ?
- Seychelles - National Day.
- Brazil - Chemist's Day.
- Father's Day, US, UK, Chile (2006).
- Autistic Pride Day, beginning in 2005.
- Convicted murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner (age 49) is executed by firing squad in Draper (Salt Lake City), Utah, USA. Gardner spent 25 years in prison on death row for the murder of a lawyer during an attempt to escape a court hearing. This is the first execution by firing squad in the USA in 14 years.
- A young man slashed 12 passers-by with a knife on the street in the township of Jinli in Zhaoqing City Guangdong Province on Wednesday, leaving one dead. (Global Times)
- Hope for the dozens of Colombian coal miners trapped underground yesterday begins to fade. At least 50 miners are estimated to still be trapped 2 kilometers underground, all of whom are thought to be dead. Rescue workers have so far recovered 18 bodies, and have advanced 700 meters underground. (''The Washington Post'')
- Interim Kyrgyzstan leader Roza Otunbayeva visits Osh and says the death toll from her country's worst ethnic clashes in two decades could be 2,000. (Aljazeera)
- Indian Muslim television preacher Zakir Naik is banned from entry into the United Kingdom for what is described as ampquotunacceptable behaviourampquot. He was due to lecture in Sheffield and London. (Reuters)
- American Envoy to the Middle East and former Senator George J. Mitchell arrives in Ramallah and holds an immediate meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. (balita.ph)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) head Dominique Strauss-Kahn meets with Prime Minister of Spain José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero in Madrid. (Aljazeera)
- President of Sri Lanka Mahinda Rajapaksa responds in a speech at a commemorative military pageant to critics of the army who say human rights abuses were committed against civilians during the 2009 defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels. (BBC)
- Two former military chiefs in The Gambia are charged over an alleged plot to remove President Yahya Jammeh from office in 2006 critics say the government is manipulating coup allegations for its own gain. (BBC)
- The Polish presidential election is being held earlier, following the death of Polish President Lech Kaczyński in a plane crash on 10 April 2010 near Smolensk. The two front-runners are Bronisław Komorowski from the ruling center-right Civic Platform (Platforma Obywatelska) party and Jarosław Kaczyński from the right-wing Law and Justice (Prawo i Sprawiedliwość) party. (Warsawvoice.pl)
- Indian government ministers meet for the first time as they re-examine the 1984 Bhopal disaster. (BBC)
- A landslide triggered by torrential rain kills 8 people in Indonesia's eastern province of Maluku bodies are found in Batugantung Dalam. (''TIME'')
- 8 people are killed and 8 others wounded in two attacks in the Abu Ghraib area west of Baghdad. (nation.com.pk)
- 1998 Nobel Laureate José Saramago from Portugal dies at the age of 87. (CNN)
- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) starts designing a newer and a more powerful nuclear research reactor than the current Tehran reactor, according to AEOI director Ali Akbar Salehi. (Tehran Times)
- The United States welcomes alleged genocide denial lawyer Peter Erlinder's release on health grounds by Rwanda. (BBC News)
- Two people die during a series of tornadoes in Wadena and Otter Tail County, Minnesota, United States. (Serbia News Channel)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?