Saturday 19 March 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
Detention, directed by Joseph Kahn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 19 March 2011 ?
- Saint Adeltrudis (d.670)
- Saint Landoald
- Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain.
- Roman Catholicism and Church of England - Saint Joseph's Day for Saint Joseph of Nazareth, spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, stepfather of Jesus; patron saint of Belgium, a good death, carpenters hence also (alternative) Father's Day in Spain, Portugal, Belgium
- Mojoday in Discordianism
- The swallows return to Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.
- The first day of Quinquatria in ancient Rome, held in honor of Minerva.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 19 March
- Libyan Uprising: A coalition of countries intervene and commence military action in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1973.
- The moon makes its closest approach to earth by nearly 30,000 miles in the last 18 years, thus dubbing it supermoon.
- Arab Spring and the Libyan civil war: In light of continuing attacks on Libyan rebels by forces in support of leader Muammar Gaddafi,
- The Libyan opposition stronghold of Benghazi is bombed by pro-Gaddafi forces despite the declaration of a no-fly zone by the United Nations. (AFP via Channel News Asia)
- The President of the United States Barack Obama warns Muammar Gaddafi of ampquotconsequencesampquot if attacks on civilians continue. (AFP via News Limited)
- Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi enter Benghazi. (Tunis Afrique Press News Agency)
- The French Air Force starts flying missions over Libya as top officials from Europe, the United States and the Arab world vow to take action. (AP via the ''Houston Chronicle'')
- The United States Navy fires Tomahawk cruise missiles at Gaddafi's air defenses as Operation Odyssey Dawn gets underway. (Reuters)
- Colonel Gaddafi condemns the attacks as ampquotbarbaric, unjustified crusaders' aggression.ampquot (News Limited)
- Tens of thousands of people from Côte d'Ivoire flee to Liberia due to ongoing violence in the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Arab Spring
- Syrian security forces fire tear gas at a funeral for two men killed in an earlier protest in the southern city of Daraa. (AFP via Google News)
- Protests continue in Yemen after the shooting of anti-government demonstrators yesterday, and two ruling party members resign. (Reuters)
- Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika promises political reform, as security forces prevent protests in the capital Algiers. (Al Jazeera)
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- Police in the Gaza Strip break up a student rally calling for unity between Fatah and Hamas and raid offices of foreign media covering the event. (UPI)
- The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu office reportedly calls for the United States to thwart Palestinian attempts to create a unity government however, Hamas opposes Abbas' visit to Gaza claiming he is using the visit as a ampquotploy,ampquot and demands the release of Hamas prisoners held by the Palestinian Authority in West Bank (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- The polar bear Knut dies at the Berlin Zoo. (MSNBC)
- A fire at a refugee camp in Tripura, northeastern India, kills at least 14 people. (UPI)
- 600 people are evacuated in Indonesia from the area near Mount Karangetang as it began erupting. (Sify India)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?