Sunday 1 February 1931
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Boris Yeltsin and Madeline Berthod.
By Rocket to the Moon, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1931
while The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 February 1931 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Boris Yeltsin: Russian politician, elected Chairman of the Russian Republic's Supreme Soviet at the end of May 1990.
- Madeline Berthod: Switzerland -- Downhill skier (1956 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Mark Richmond: CEO (Science and Engineering Research Council).
- Barrel [ABM]: Frinking; teacher/Dutch Member of Parliament (CVP).
- Ton [ABM]: Frinking; Dutch Member of Parliament (CDA).
- Iajuddin Ahmed: former President of Bangladesh.
- Robert Destanque: French writer and filmmaker, an author of thrillers and historical novels.
- Franca Faldini: Italian actress, journalist and writer, famous for being the companion of Totò for 15 years.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?