Tuesday 1 February 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jimmy Lee Thorpe in Roxboro and Jayj Jacobs.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Time for Beany.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1949!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1949 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Jimmy Lee Thorpe in Roxboro: North Carolina, USA; PGA golfer (1985 Greater Milwaukee Open).
- Jayj Jacobs: American second generation astrologer, raised by Donald "Moby Dick" Jacobs who started his training when he was 15.
- Herbert Stothart: American musician, a composer, director and arranger who won 11 Oscar nominations and the Oscar for his musical score of "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
- 200 (5.08-m) Hale telescope 1st used
- RCA releases first single record ever (45 RPM).
- 200-inch (5.08-metre) Hale telescope first used.
- Rationing of clothes ends in Britain.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 February 1949
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?