Wednesday 1 February 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Caleb Folbigg and Ricky Pinheiro.
In that special week of February people in US were listening to When I'm With You by Sheriff.
In UK Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart by Marc Almond featuring Gene Pitney was in the top 5 hits.
Sex, Lies, and Videotape, directed by Steven Soderbergh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while A Brief History Of Time by Stephen W. Hawking was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Troldspejlet.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Alleyway or Conquests of Camelot.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1989!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1989 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Caleb Folbigg: Australian infanticide, murdered by his mother, Kathleen Folbigg.
- Ricky Pinheiro: Portuguese footballer.
- Princess Diane of England visits New York City
- Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 1 at perihelion.
- The Western Australian towns of Kalgoorlie and Boulder amalgamate to form the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
- Soviet war in Afghanistan: The last Soviet Union armored column leaves Kabul, ending 9 years of military occupation.
- Carlos Andrés Pérez takes office as President of Venezuela.
- Satellite television service Sky Television plc is launched in Europe.
- A military coup overthrows Alfredo Stroessner, dictator of Paraguay since 1954.
- After a stroke, Pieter Willem Botha resigns his party's leadership and the presidency of South Africa.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #8 songs in the UK
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?