Friday 1 July 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer (see planets position on July 1, 1949). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Farnham and Pablo Abraira.
Calamity Jane and Sam Bass, directed by George Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Armchair Detective.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 July 1949
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1949!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1949 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- John Farnham: English-Australian singer-songwriter (Little River Band).
- Pablo Abraira
- Néjia Mabrouk: Tunisian-Belgian director and screenwriter.
- David Hogan: American composer and educator (d. 1996).
- Venkaiah Naidu: Indian lawyer and politician.
- Louis Davids [Simon David]: Cabaret artist, dies at 65.
- 63rd Wimbledon Mens Tennis: Ted Schroeder beat Drobny (36 60 63 46 64)
- WBRC TV channel 6 in Birmingham, AL (ABC) begins broadcasting
- WCCO TV channel 4 in Minneapolis-St Paul, MN (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The merger of two princely states of India, Cochin and Travancore, into the state of Thiru-Kochi (later re-organized as Kerala) in the Indian Union ends more than 1,000 years of princely rule by the Cochin Royal Family.
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India was established