Friday 8 July 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frank Delima and Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
The Great Gatsby, directed by Elliott Nugent, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Armchair Detective.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 July 1949!
Which were the important events of 8 July 1949 ?
- Annual Soapy Smith wake, held each year in Skagway, Alaska in the Gold Rush Cemetery and in Hollywood, California at the Magic Castle
- Feast day of Saint Kilian
- Feast day of Saint Grimbald
- Frank Delima: American comedian.
- Y S Rajasekhara Reddy: Indian politician, the 14th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh (d. 2009).
- Dale Hoganson: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Glenn Perry: American pro astrologer, editor and publisher.
- Patrick Paul: American artist, an interior decorator.
- Wolfgang Puck: Austrian-born celebrity chef
- Tom Owen: English actor
- Y Reddy: Indian politician 14th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh (d. 2009)
- Riccadro Pick-Mangiagalli: Composer, dies at 66.
- Monte Irvin and Hank Thompson are 1st blacks to play for New York Giants
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?