Saturday 1 May 1965
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bourlem Guerdjou and Jon Warren in Akron.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter by Herman's Hermits.
In UK Concrete And Clay by Unit 4+2 was in the top 5 hits.
The Pawnbroker, directed by Sidney Lumet, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1965
while Stagestruck by Maurice Zolotow was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Magic Boomerang.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 May 1965 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:01 May
- USSR launches Luna 5; later impacts on Moon
- 91st Kentucky Derby: Bill Shoemaker on Lucky Debonair wins in 2:01.2.
- Battle of Dong-Yin, a naval conflict between ROC and PRC, takes place.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1965 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Herman's Hermits - Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
- Wayne Fontana - Game Of Love
- Petula Clark - I Know A Place
- Freddie and the Dreamers - I'm Telling You Now
- The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You
- The Kinks - Tired Of Waiting For You
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys - Count Me In
- Herman's Hermits - Silhouettes
- The Rolling Stones - The Last Time
- The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?