Tuesday 1 May 2012
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
LOL, directed by Lisa Azuelos, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Darksiders II or CityVille 2.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2012 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- Syrian uprising: The United Nations says both government and opposition forces have violated the ceasefire. (Al Jazeera)
- 2011–2012 Bahraini uprising: Police break up protests in the capital Manama. (Reuters)
- An attack by a suicide bomber in a café attached to a hotel in Dhusamareb, Somalia, causes an indeterminate number of fatalities, including according to witnesses two MPs, Yusuf Mire Seerar and Abdiweli Sheik Mohamud. (Shabelle Media Network)
- 2012 Mali counter-coup attempt: Heavy fighting takes place in the Malian capital Bamako between coup supporters and opponents. (Al Jazeera)
- 2012 South Sudan–Sudan border conflict: Tensions rise between the two nations as South Sudan accuses Sudan of attacking locations in its territory. (Reuters)
- Up to 20 people are arrested amid the investigation about last month's massacre at Železarsko lake in the Republic of Macedonia. (B92)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches a four-year high due to strong manufacturing figures and company earnings. (CNN)
- Tens of thousands of people march in Asia, Europe and North America, protesting against job cuts, inequality, and austerity measures. (ABC News)
- April car sales in Japan rise by 92% year-over-year, a gain partially realized due to low sales in the wake of last year's earthquake and tsunami. (Kuwait News Agency)
- U.S. President Barack Obama visits Afghanistan on an unannounced visit coinciding with the first anniversary of Osama Bin Laden's assassination by the U.S. Special Forces in Pakistan, signing an agreement with Afghan President Hamid Karzai outlining a continuing U.S. role in Afghanistan after 2014. (BBC)
- Five European presidents and the President of the European Commission cancel visits to Ukraine over the treatment of the former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Egypt security services foil an alleged Iranian plot to kill the Saudi ambassador in Cairo. (AFP via Google News)
- Chinese Vice-Premier Li Keqiang visits Moscow. China and Russia sign trade deals worth $15 billion. (''Asia Times'')
- News International phone hacking scandal: The House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee publishes its report into phone hacking at the ''News of the World''. The committee concludes that Rupert Murdoch ampquotis not a fit personampquot to run a major international company and exhibited ampquotwilful blindnessampquot to phone-hacking and other practices going on in his media empire. The report also accuses three News Corporation executives of giving misleading evidence. (Al Jazeera)
- A New York judge rules that Nafissatou Diallo's civil lawsuit alleging sexual assault by Dominique Strauss-Kahn can proceed to trial. (BBC)
- Tomás Borge, the last surviving founding member of Nicaragua's socialist political party Sandinista National Liberation Front, dies. (BBC)
- A parliamentary committee begins work on Turkey's first fully civilian constitution. (BBC)
- Former opposition leader and foreign minister Tzipi Livni quits the Israeli parliament. (''Shanghai Daily'')
- Norwegian world swimming champion and Olympic medalist Alexander Dale Oen dies at age 26 after suffering a cardiac arrest during a training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona. (BBC)
- Kenya rugby captain Aberdeen Shikoyi is paid tribute to in death after being injured in a match against Uganda. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 1 May 2012
Serie AItalian Football
- Chievo - Roma : 0 - 0
- Napoli - Palermo : 2 - 0
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Getafe - Santander : 1 - 1
- Granada - Espanol : 2 - 1
- Sp Gijon - Villarreal : 2 - 3
Division 2Football (France)
- Amiens - Clermont : 1 - 1
- Angers - Nantes : 2 - 0
- Arles - Troyes : 0 - 0
- Bastia - Metz : 3 - 0
Le ChampionnatFootball (France)
- Montpellier - Evian Thonon Gaillard : 2 - 2
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?