Sunday 1 May 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to S&M by Rihanna.
Blitz, directed by Elliott Lester, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while I'M Over All That by Shirley MacLaine was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Xanadu.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ace Combat: Assault Horizon or Deadliest Warrior: Legends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2011 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- Ted Lowe: English snooker commentator (Born 1920).
- Pope John Paul II is beatified.
- United States President Barack Obama announces that U.S. forces have killed Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
- Former president George W. Bush congratulates president Barack Obama on his ampquotmomentous achievementampquot. (Reuters)
- Bill Clinton also expresses his delight at developments. (ABC News)
- American televisions interrupt their scheduled programming to broadcast the news to viewers of shows such as ''The Apprentice''. (InsideTV)
- Crowds gather outside the White House in Washington D.C. and the World Trade Center site in New York City to celebrate bin Laden's death after the announcement by President Obama. (CBS News)
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- Citizens of the city of Daraa, a focal point of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad, report being fired on by government soldiers and tanks. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Activists vow to begin a ampquotweek of breaking the siegeampquot protests in Daraa, with Damascus to join in tomorrow. (Al Jazeera)
- UK Prime Minister David Cameron condemns Syria's crackdown on anti-regime protesters and calls for more pressure to be put on the government after Syrian troops continue to kill civilians in the city of Daraa. (Voice of America News)
- Syrian forces arrest a prominent human rights lawyer, Abdallah Khalil, in the city of Raqqa after he criticised the authorities' reaction to anti-government protests. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Witnesses report that Gaddafi's forces in Misrata are preparing to use chemical weapons against the civilian and rebel population. (Times of Malta)
- The United Nations is withdrawing all its international staff from Tripoli after ampquotangryampquot crowds protest outside US, UK and Italian embassies against NATO airstrikes. (BBC)
- 2011 Saudi Arabian protests:
- Saudi Arabia increases media restrictions, threatening fines and closure of publications that ampquotthreatenampquot the country's stability. (AFP)
- 2011 Yemeni protests:
- Ali Abdullah Saleh refuses to sign a Gulf Arab states-brokered agreement intended to resolve the situation, and the deal has collapsed. The opposition in Yemen promises to escalate the protests. (BBC)
- As a result of Saleh's refusal, Yemeni opposition cancels its trip to meet Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) foreign ministers in Riyadh. (Al Jazeera)
- The Taliban stages offensives in two provinces of Afghanistan, killing six people. (AP via MSNBC)
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 1 May 2011
Serie AItalian Football
- Bari - Roma : 2 - 3
- Catania - Cagliari : 2 - 0
- Chievo - Lecce : 1 - 0
- Fiorentina - Udinese : 5 - 2
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Almeria - Sevilla : 0 - 1
- Levante - Sp Gijon : 0 - 0
- Malaga - Hercules : 3 - 1
- Osasuna - Valencia : 1 - 0
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Girona - Vallecano : 1 - 3
- Granada - Tenerife : 2 - 1
Le ChampionnatFootball (France)
- Marseille - Auxerre : 1 - 1
- Montpellier - Brest : 0 - 0
- Nice - Caen : 0 - 4
- St Etienne - Monaco : 1 - 1
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in May 2011?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Look At Me Now - Chris Brown Featuring Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
- All Of The Lights - Kanye West
- Did It On'em - Nicki Minaj
- Moment 4 Life - Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake
- 6 Foot 7 Foot - Lil Wayne Featuring Cory Gunz
- Far Away - Marsha Ambrosius
- Love Faces - Trey Songz
- Sure Thing - Miguel
- Roll Up - Wiz Khalifa
- Racks - YC Featuring Future
Top #10 Latin songs
- Lluvia Al Corazon - Mana
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Violento - Gracias A Dios
- El Culpable - Espinoza Paz
- Ni Lo Intentes - Julion Alvarez y Su Norteno Banda
- Cuanto Me Cuesta - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
- Llueve El Amor - Tito "El Bambino" El Patron
- Estoy Enamorado - Wisin & Yandel
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?