Sunday 4 May 1980
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hugo Gélin and Masashi Oguro.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me Girl by The Detroit Spinners was in the top 5 hits.
Friday the 13th, directed by Sean S. Cunningham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Hungry As The Sea by Wilbur Smith was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Señorita Andrea.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Moon Cresta or Odyssey: The Compleat Apventure.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 4 May 1980 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Hugo Gélin
- Masashi Oguro
- Franziska Weisz: Austrian actress.
- Amy Shirley: Reality Star.
- Andrew Raycroft: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Dodgers bat out of order against Phillies in 1st inning
- White Sox 1st baseman Mike Squires catches final inning of 11-1 loss to Brewers, becoming 1st lefty to catch since Dale Long in 1958
- Yugoslav President Josip Broz Tito dies. The funeral ceremony later becomes the world's biggest diplomatic meeting and media event ever, with more than 140 state delegations in Belgrade from all over the world (only the funeral of Pope John Paul II in April 2005 will have more news coverage and a higher number of delegations).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - Call Me
- Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Wind
- Air Supply - Lost In Love
- Billy Preston - With You I'm Born Again
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Bob Seger - Fire Lake
- Billy Joel - You May Be Right
- Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why
- Dr. Hook - Sexy Eyes
- Jimmy Ruffin - Hold On To My Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?