Sunday 18 May 1980
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 18, 1980). The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michaël Llodra and Matt Long.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Call Me by Blondie.
In UK What's Another Year by Johnny Logan was in the top 5 hits.
Out of the Blue, directed by Dennis Hopper, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while No Love Lost by Helen Van Slyke was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Stockard Channing Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spectar or Armor Attack.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 18 May 1980
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 May 1980!
Which were the important events of 18 May 1980 ?
- Michaël Llodra: French tennis player, he has several doubles championships to his credit including Wimbledon in July 2007.
- Matt Long: American actor.
- Manny Malhotra
- Diego Pérez (footballer)
- Reggie Evans: American basketball player.
- Jeff Roehl: American football player.
- Diego Pérez: Uruguayan footballer.
- Felicia Pearson: American actress rapper and author.
- Aileen Campbell: Scottish politician.
- Thomas Dupuy: French-Senegalese soldier, paratrooper, killed by members of AQMI in Mali.
- Ali Zafar: Pakistani singer and model.
- Victims of Mount St Helens eruption: \ \ Harry Randall Truman (Born 1896)\ David A. Johnston, U.S.
- Belgium 3rd government of Martens forms
- China PR launch 1st intercontinental rocket
- Mount St. Helens blows its top in Washington State, 60 die
- Mount Saint Helens erupts in Washington, killing 57 and causing US$3 billion in damage. 396 metres of the top of the mountain explodes in a gigantic dust cloud.
- At Mount Saint Helens, Washington, a magnitude 5.0 earthquake occurs, preceeding an eruption by seconds.
- Donna White wins LPGA Coca-Cola Golf Classic.
- Fernando Bela?nde Terry elected President of Peru.
- 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens: Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blondie - Call Me
- Christopher Cross - Ride Like The Wind
- Air Supply - Lost In Love
- Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
- Billy Preston - With You I'm Born Again
- Dr. Hook - Sexy Eyes
- Billy Joel - You May Be Right
- Kenny Rogers - Don't Fall In Love With A Dreamer
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)
- Ambrosia - Biggest Part Of Me
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious
- The Isley Brothers - Don't Say Goodnight (It's Time For Love) (Parts 1 & 2)
- The Whispers - Lady
- Smokey Robinson - Let Me Be The Clock
- Leon Haywood - Don't Push It Don't Force It
- Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio - Two Places At The Same Time
- Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
- Got To Be Enough - ConFunkShun
- Stephanie Mills - Sweet Sensation
- The Manhattans - Shining Star
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?
“Vancouver, Vancouver, this is it!” Explosion of Mount St. Helens - May 18th, 1980
Mount St. Helens is an active volcano located in the Cascade Mountains, just 95 miles south of Seattle in Washington State. It has an elevation of 8,363 feet with a prominence of 4,605 feet. However, its size is not what makes this mountain so famous. On May 18th, 1980 the volcano exploded shooting lava, ash, and shockwaves into the area. This was a rare occasion for the area, the mountain was classified as a volcano in 1835. Over the last 500 years Mount St. Helens has had 4 major eruptions, one being the eruption of 1980. There have also been a bunch of minor occurrences such as earthquakes and spurts of smoke and ash. The volcano was considered inactive from 1857 - 1980, until one of the largest eruptions in U.S. history.